• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Is it time to give Walker a chance?

bishmania

First XI
[FONT=arial,helvetica]16-02-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]2-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Bournemouth[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]23-02-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Yeovil[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0-3[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]29-02-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Cheltenham[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]08-03-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]2-0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Luton[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]11-03-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Nottm Forest[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]15-03-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Huddersfield[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-2[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]21-03-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Swansea[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]24-03-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Swindon[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]29-03-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Walsall[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]05-04-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Crewe[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-3[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]08-04-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]2-0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Brighton[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]12-04-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Northampton[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]19-04-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Carlisle[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-2[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]26-04-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Tranmere[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]03-05-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Football League One[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Port Vale[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]09-05-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]League One Play-Off[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0-0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Doncaster[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]16-05-2008[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]League One Play-Off[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Doncaster[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]5-1[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]Southend[/FONT][FONT=arial,helvetica]0[/FONT]

These are the matches James Walker played for us last season, he was sub in just one (I can't remember which one) - we lost just two, one at Tranmere and the other to that marvellous Doncaster display (matched with our terrible one of course).

We haven't seen much of him this season and struggled our way through it, apart from our run with Sawyer and a fit Dougie.

It seems, although he makes individual errors, that he benefitted the team last year and I think it's because he's our only striker who stretches a defence and threatens to get in behind them, we're very easy to defend against at the moment and that in turn puts pressure on our shaky defence.

This gives the rest of the team space to play in - much like Wayne Gray did as partner of Freddy in our L2 and L1 promotion seasons.

It probably isn't the solution to all our problems but I do would if it would give us more potency going forward.

He has scored a couple of pretty decent goals as well.

Any thoughts to add anyone?

I started a thread a few months back singling out Jimmy Walker for praise, and then spent an entire week defending the guy to the hilt from the barrage of abuse from the fans after his penalty miss before Christmas.

Not the finished article, but I believe his goal tally in recent appearances, despite not playing many games, is better than a goal every two games, certainly our most prolific on current form.

Revell has been, IMO, 100% worthy of his place in the team, but now with him missing for 4-6 weeks according to Tilly, it is inevitable Walker will feature, and I hope this could be the catalyst for him to kick on and become a fans favourite - and make a few eat their words!

I agree that Revs has been worthy of his place as well, and wondr if the lanky and pacy combo (ala Crouch n Defoe) would work once Revs is fit again.

Walker needs to prove me and you right now by stepping up to the plate and delivering.

Well with the injuries we have we have to give him a chance, but i agree with you guys.

Last season Walker was part of a team on a great run, and formed a good partnership with Lee Barnard. This season he's not played much but has scored 4 goals, and has as good a goals per game ratio as Lee Barnard, it's time people laid off him and gave him a chance and their backing.

This guy turned our season around last year. Cannot understand why he hasn't played more this year. He is our best attacking threat.

I'll be the first to admit I can't stand the guy and think he's a waste of time & money - however if he plays like he did last night then yes, he should start on Saturday

after last night he deserves to start... We need to all support him now! He looked reluctant to take the plaudits last night! Sankofa had to make sure he got the applause he deserved!!!

Let's all get behind him...

How can he not?

Laurent - out
Revs - out
Freedman - (probably) out
Barnard - in but still not 100% fit

As has been mentioned by a previous post, Walker is without doubt a confidence player. Let's all get behind him before the game kicks off on Saturday with a chorus of ''One James Walker''

Last season when we had a settled and performing midfield James was excellent. This season it seems more long ball suiting revelles style. Maybe with a midfield built around Moussa who last night showed he can really pass the ball, James might get the ball to his feet a bit more suiting his style.

He has pace and can take people on, for that reason alone he should be in the team. It was depresssing watching the slowness of our play until he came on last night, endless long balls knocked up to the strikers.

Has to start this weekend against Yeovil IMO.

Whilst I wouldn't say that if we had all our strikers back fully fit, right now I genuinely think he is the best we have- even though it's between him and Barnard!

Lets get behind Jimmy and let him know we still want him at the club!

The lads young, pacey and skillful- if he can channel this like he did last year he'll get 15-20 goals a season.

Lets give him our support and hope he can get a run of games- boost his confidence and get on a goal scoring streak.

Come on Jimmy!

in the absence of Barney and Freedman and Revell then yes, Walker has to get a game. I would consider Rhys Henry also and maybe (if we are not splashing the cash) get Furlong back from Barnet.

James is a great prospect...he is quick, gets behind defenders.

He is still very young, bought as one for the future and has lots still to learn. Let's not put too much pressure on him, expect miracles, then slag him off if he does not produce.

Not sure on the goals scored for all our strikers this season, but Walkers ratio can't be any worse than the other strikers. There must be someone who has the stats for all our strikers...games played to goals scored.

Barney and Freedman are always injured, Revell busts a gut and scores a few, Laurent is severely talented and can score a load, just gotta wait for him to get fit again.

Walker and Laurent....That I would like to see!!

As a long standing member of the pro-Walker half (quarter?) of the Hall, I was delighted to see him prove what he can do last night and don't blame him for being reluctant to come over to fans who basically have never given him a chance. He is well worth a run in the team and yes he will make a few mistakes, but he will also cause a lot of problems for defenders.

Agree Jai,
Walker was superb when he came on, the goal just topped off a very good performance by him. Of course he has to start on Saturday and hopefully he will have some confidence to keep going & maintaining that form....I'm sure he would have enjoyed the fans reaction to him at the end of the game

Back