• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Why teams seem to raise themselves for big matches

CyrilSneer

Winger
Ive read a few comments on here questioning why for example we couldnt show the same passion for matches against Colchester yesterday, and the Chelsea away game, but not for matches like Crewe on tuesday. And this has left some fans feeling cheated
I thought about this too, but then realised this is exactly the same for us fans too. We only seem to really get behind our boys for the big matches
Against Colchester, we supported the team throughout, even though we didnt play particularly well. I heard no boos, no barracking of players, just positive support throughout. Against Crewe on tuesday, and other lesser games, especially at home, I have witnessed a lot of negative support, totally the opposite of Saturdays support.
It just goes to prove that getting behind your team, no matter what does make a bit of difference, and if we could show the same level of passion of support when we are 1-0 down, the players may well do too.

Good post
If they did show that passion for every game we would then complain because they're not showing any extra passion for the big games but it would be good if they all played like that week in week out
From our perspective the team can produce exactly the same performances in both a loss and a defeat and we would be negative after the loss and positive during the win, I bet many fans comments after the Tranmere game were changed by the late goal. Another thing that amazes me is that at the Chelsea game the people next to me didn't stop singing for the whole 90 minutes but exactly the same people haven't sung hardly any songs in the games since but have booed the boys off, something I hate, I doubt they could do better than the players they are booing

Realistically, very few teams do manage to show the sort of passion and commitment we'd like to see as fans in every game they play. More often than not, the teams that do are pushing for titles and playing at the highest levels.

When you look at the likes of Manchester United and Chelsea when they have won titles and compare them to the also-rans they've left trailing in their wake, it's this passion and commitment in every game that makes the difference at the end.

I'm pretty sure that, at this level, if you went through each of the teams, you'd probably find just two, maybe three players who genuinely can raise their game week after week. It's something us fans will always find hard to accept, but to some degree, it's WHY the players in League One are plying their trade in League One.

Taking Anthony Grant as an example, as much as I loved his full-blooded performance and last-ditch tackling against Chelsea, a part of me felt just a little bit cheated by what he'd managed to serve up previously.

Back