• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sawyer Must Start Campaign

BluesMike61

Youth Team
After another impressive "cameo" performance yesterday,surely Lee Sawyer has to be in the starting line-up at Carlisle next Saturday.

Do you agree?

If so, who should he replace?

There must be some sort of problem with Sawyer and Tilly as it doesn't make sense. He is potentially our best player, he is an attacking and positive midfielder, he scores goals and gets penalties with his runs into the box and has boundless energy.
On the other hand, we have Macca and Jeff who have both lost their form. It sends the wrong message to the squad when you can play well below par for so long and not get dropped, like Macca.
So Macca or Jeff for me, both players that I like and rate highly. Sawyer must be in the starting line up for the next game.

Muat start for my mind. I really want the guy to stay here and to do that we need to show him we can offer first team football.

I think he could be ok down the right to start with. I dont think I would start him ahead of macca personally or Granty. He seemed to work best last time with JFC but JFC has been poor I think season.

Either way he must start soon in my book.

When are you going to realise that Tilly must be doing what he is for a reason?

Stop patronising OBL.

Sawyer should replace Macca in my opinion and play with alongside Grant in the middle.

There must be some sort of problem with Sawyer and Tilly as it doesn't make sense.

The 'problem' is that Lee Sawyer is simply a centre-midfielder. He's not a winger and if he plays it needs to be in the middle. But Alan McCormack plays the same role and both players really need a defensive player alongside them so playing them together isn't really an option. And in a straight choice between McCormack and Sawyer, Tilly will pick McCormack every time.

Sawyer looked like he had a point to prove when he came on yesterday but all he did was show why he's completely unsuited to play on the right as he was constantly drifting all over the field. To get the best out of him,and not leave us looking completely disjointed, he needs to be in the middle.

Sawyer must have the worst attitude to training at the club, thats surely the only reason why he cant be starting. By natural ability he should be one of the first names on the team sheet. You cant play Macca and KFC in the middle together as they are both too static.

Personally I feel some of the anti-Macca feeling is stirred up by people looking to antagonise OBL. I dont think Macca is on top form by any means but his performance yesterday was a good standard and he broke well and provided an unmissable ball for Barney's second.

I cant help but think if OBL wasnt such an ardant Macca fan then he might be a bit more popular on this board as I dont think many could honestly fault him for much other than his gob.

Personally I feel some of the anti-Macca feeling is stirred up by people looking to antagonise OBL. I dont think Macca is on top form by any means but his performance yesterday was a good standard and he broke well and provided an unmissable ball for Barney's second.

I cant help but think if OBL wasnt such an ardant Macca fan then he might be a bit more popular on this board as I dont think many could honestly fault him for much other than his gob.

Hmmm, is that a :net: as well?! I've said the same myself and desisted from commenting (yeah, I know, not often) or commenting very late on match report threads, and it doesn't seem to make much difference.

I don't just defend him though, I've also been very vocal in defence of Barney, Dougie, Franno and Franny - just don't like seeing people being picked on! It's like seeing a kid you have a soft spot for being bullied in the school playground.....that, and being a mum I guess.

Yeah you are right. I have said before that Sawyer is biding his time till Jan when we sign his on a perm deal for next to nothing, then Macca will be warming the bench every week and Tilly will be playing Sawyer week in week out.

Yeah you are right. I have said before that Sawyer is biding his time till Jan when we sign his on a perm deal for next to nothing, then Macca will be warming the bench every week and Tilly will be playing Sawyer week in week out.

Well, of course, that could be it - not wanting to highlight any other clubs to him so we get an over inflated price tag a la Theo Robinson. :D

Well, of course, that could be it - not wanting to highlight any other clubs to him so we get an over inflated price tag a la Theo Robinson. :D

That is my theory, I said it weeks ago and It's what I believe to be the truth. Mulder and Scully have nothing on me.

We turned down an offer for McCormack. He is clearly in Tilsons plans and I can understand why he wouldnt want to alienate a contracted player over a loanee.

If Sawyer signs then yes the dynamics may change...

Stop patronising OBL.

Sawyer should replace Macca in my opinion and play with alongside Grant in the middle.

They are completely different players. TBH Macca might not be the first name on Tilly's team sheet but is probably the third. Every team needs a player like Macca who breaks up play and gets stuck in. It's not pretty, it's not often popular but it's essential.
Sawyer is a play maker. My guess is Tilly feels Sawyer does not add sufficiently in the defensive side and the work rate side of things. Listen to his interview to see what made him so pleased about yesterday.

What, you mean Tilly not dropping Macca because he is one of the 'old guard' and can't handle a stroppy Irishman? That's the only reason I can think of.

What, you mean Tilly not dropping Macca because he is one of the 'old guard' and can't handle a stroppy Irishman? That's the only reason I can think of.

Like Maher?

I actually can understand him giving preference to a contracted player. If he alienates McCormack we could lose him AND Sawyer in January and end up with nothing.

Its all politics..

Apparently Sawyer has a bad attitude in training, but then apparently it is no worse then someone elses in the team.

It is hard at the moment, it is silly to change a winning team unless someone has been totally awful or if it is obvious. i.e. if we get another centre back in before next week.

I am going to have to disagree in principal that people are having a pop at macca just because OBL defends him. If we had no one to replace him then fine, i just feel we have someone who is obviously much classier. As it goes I don't think Jeff has been playing very well either.

But football shouldn't be about politics, it's about putting your best team out and Sawyer is arguably the best midfielder at the club. I don't blame him if he's acting a bit stroppy. We only have him until January so we might aswell make the most of him. If Macca has to stay then drop JFC, I don't think he brings much to the team. It's funny that we're desperately short at the back yet we almost have too many options in central midfield.

Macca frustrates me, but you do know what you are going to get when you play him (albeit it peppered with yellow cards, the odd wayward pass and the st Johns being called regulary to the upper tiers of the SU to deal with a ball in the face)
Sawyer , on the other hand , is greatly entertaining , but a little inconsistent at the moment. Currently A splendid impact sub and I would like to see more of him off the bench then the consistency may well come.
Then I would consider Sawyer for JFC at home

Back