• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Transfer Embargo

BLUEBLOOD

Moderator of Moderators
Please forgive me if this has been discussed before, but i can't seem to find the answer i'm looking for.
Now i'm sure everyone is aware that should we be put into Admin tomorrow then this is irrelevent because any transfer ban will be maintained, but we aint in it yet but still we have the ban
Anyone know why ?? I may be wrong but i doubt it can be because we had an upcoming court appearance (not guilty until proven etc..) but usually because of outstanding transfer fees remaining unpaid, has this problem been tackled i wonder, surely we must be looking at it so should Ron wave a magic wand and find the cash to avoid Admin we are still left in a position where our team on Saturday will look something like this ...

Mildy
Francis AB Grant Herd
Laurent Mooooose JFC O'Keefe
Walker Freedman/Asante

Subs: Joyce, Whittaker, Okai erm .. Me ??

I think you'll find it's because we have pending court proceedings over money owed to the Revenue.

I'm sure that under league rules if you owe money to the revenue that is subject to proceedings, or are late in paying other clubs money owed for previous transfers (like Portsmouth are at the moment) then the league basically stop you getting into further debt by refusing to allow you to sign players.

I believe we got away with it with Friend and O'Donovan because their own clubs were paying wages in month 1.

I may be wrong but that's what I thought I read on here somewhere so obviously it must be true...

I have nothing to add but would presume that the reason you have had no response to your question is probably due to the fact that everyone is riveted to the next 24 hours.
Friday night, though important, seems light years away in the context of events.

Lee, fbm is correct, it was in the rules announced in the close season & someone did post this a couple of weeks ago, I think

Clubs announce new tax regulations

I would assume that the League have a deemed cut off point for the embargo to be enforced & I believe from Ron's rantings that we're the 1st club to fall foul of this.

Looking at the timings, although the winding up petition was raised on the day the league announced the rules, we signed Friend & O'Donovan around 20th Sep but IIRC after that had the 1st adjourned hearing in court. Presumably the FL decided that adjournment was going to be the key point, as until that point we were still in negotatiation with HMRC rather than since then under the direct sanction of the court.

Possibly?

Last edited:
I got this from the league some time ago

Your email addressed to John Nagle has been forwarded on for attention.

We are working through the processes to implement the Regulations at this present time with Clubs. I can confirm that if a Club has historic arrears not already covered by a time to pay agreement, the Club will have a period of 12 months in which to reach a time to pay agreement or clear the arrears, before restrictions on new player signings apply.

However, should the Club fail to meet any obligations in respect of current debt or payments due under a time to pay agreement this will result in the immediate application of restrictions on signings.

The rules and regulations are contained in The League’s handbook and available to purchase from this office. A publications pro-forma is attached which you should complete and return to The Football League Operations Centre, Edward VII Quay, Navigation Way, Preston PR2 2YF, together with the appropriate remittance.

We hope this is helpful and thank you for contacting The Football League.

Patricia Brown
Customer Service
The Football League
www.football-league.co.uk

Cheers guys, i can't paste the bit i wanted to from the FL piece that Hooly posted but it is indeed as pointed out by fbm that the HMRC thing is directly linked to transfer dealings and as such answers my question fully

I got this from the league some time ago

Your email addressed to John Nagle has been forwarded on for attention.

We are working through the processes to implement the Regulations at this present time with Clubs. I can confirm that if a Club has historic arrears not already covered by a time to pay agreement, the Club will have a period of 12 months in which to reach a time to pay agreement or clear the arrears, before restrictions on new player signings apply.

However, should the Club fail to meet any obligations in respect of current debt or payments due under a time to pay agreement this will result in the immediate application of restrictions on signings.

The rules and regulations are contained in The League’s handbook and available to purchase from this office. A publications pro-forma is attached which you should complete and return to The Football League Operations Centre, Edward VII Quay, Navigation Way, Preston PR2 2YF, together with the appropriate remittance.

We hope this is helpful and thank you for contacting The Football League.

Patricia Brown
Customer Service
The Football League
www.football-league.co.uk

This suggests that signings may still be possible.

This suggests that signings may still be possible.

I thought that... but then figured that "restrictions on signings" meant that we were restricted from signing anybody. I figured this because we tried to sign Friend and the FL wouldn't allow it.

I thought that... but then figured that "restrictions on signings" meant that we were restricted from signing anybody. I figured this because we tried to sign Friend and the FL wouldn't allow it.

We don't know how much Friend's wages were or how much we were paying Wolves. The FL could have stopped it on that basis, rather than them automatically stopping all transfers. If you remember the Lee Sawyer (RIP) loan took some time to be approved, suggesting that measures may have already been in place above and beyond the usual league rubber-stamping.

It may also be possible for example to go to the league and ask them to approve a loan signing if we show it is in our creditors' interests to do so eg it would enable us to off-load a player on higher wages and get a player in on less money to replace them.

This is all speculation and it may be that the league just has a discretion that they will only operate in extreme circumstances - eg no Mildenhall and Joyce.

our team on Saturday will look something like this ...

Mildy
Francis AB Grant Herd
Laurent Mooooose JFC O'Keefe
Walker Freedman/Asante

Subs: Joyce, Whittaker, Okai erm .. Me ??
Craig Calver? Justin Hazell? Duran Reynolds? Merrick James-Lewis? John Ownija?

BUMP ...

Just heard that we have failed to pay our of our ex-loan players the agreed % of his wages during his stay here and are so still under this embargo*

Lets face it it would make sense seeing as we still haven't signed the players we need to compete at the moment

Sounds uncomfortably true to my mind, added to the fact i've not seen it in writing anywhere that the embargo has been lifted

* There is a loophole that means you can sign players while under an embargo in extreme circumstances .. i'd say having 2 fit defenders for last weekend means Morrisons signing was covered by that

BUMP ...

Just heard that we have failed to pay our of our ex-loan players the agreed % of his wages during his stay here and are so still under this embargo*

Lets face it it would make sense seeing as we still haven't signed the players we need to compete at the moment

Sounds uncomfortably true to my mind, added to the fact i've not seen it in writing anywhere that the embargo has been lifted

* There is a loophole that means you can sign players while under an embargo in extreme circumstances .. i'd say having 2 fit defenders for last weekend means Morrisons signing was covered by that
Blueblood i heard a similar statement in a pub on Sunday, however it went a little further, Sawyers name was mentioned and of course now he has been released by Chelsea the matter becomes even more complicated (i didn't think we were paying any of Sawyers wages). I am also wondering if this is why we had to agree to drop Joyce from the bench on Saturday to allow Morrison to play, but why it was Joyce i still don't know. UTB.

Blueblood i heard a similar statement in a pub on Sunday, however it went a little further, Sawyers name was mentioned and of course now he has been released by Chelsea the matter becomes even more complicated (i didn't think we were paying any of Sawyers wages). I am also wondering if this is why we had to agree to drop Joyce from the bench on Saturday to allow Morrison to play, but why it was Joyce i still don't know. UTB.

Not Sawyer i heard, and i think i've read on here that Chelsea pay 100% of their players wages even if out on loan so it would seem a non starter that one .. either way it really doesn't add up that we couldn't pick Joyce on Saturday as he's a contracted SUFC player, that is a really bizarre one to me

Not Sawyer i heard, and i think i've read on here that Chelsea pay 100% of their players wages even if out on loan so it would seem a non starter that one .. either way it really doesn't add up that we couldn't pick Joyce on Saturday as he's a contracted SUFC player, that is a really bizarre one to me

It's more likely to be bonuses than basic wages IMO.

Ah Sawyer... another one that got away - bags of potential but cant seem to keep his eye on the ball (pardon the pun). If only I had his talent, I'd be banging in 20 a season for the Shrimpers from midfield... Makes you sick to think of the waste

:(

Not entirely sure how true this is... Bournemouth have been under a transfer embargo since the beginning of the season and, at one point, were down to 12 professionals. They were even playing Lee Bradbury at right back and were blocked from taking a particular youth with them as he hadn't completed his school coursework. They attempted to bring a few loanee's in to cover the gaps caused by injuries, but the Football League blocked every attempt at doing so.

Can't see why we'd be given any different treatment.

Back