• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winter Breaks

Would you welcome a winter break?

• Total voters
No as if you had a 2 week break and the weather was fine during it and then snowed after you would lose even longer.

Far better to plan to play the whole winter and have a little leeway...

No. Our winter does not warrant it. This winter is very much against the grain.

Absolutely not, as Smiffy said our winters aren't normally that severe. If we did have a break we'd still have bloody football in June, when I'd like to settle down and enjoy some cricket.

Yet Spain have a 2 week break?!

France
Italy
Germany all have breaks

I for one would welcome it chance to save money for 2nd half of the season

I think their breaks are over Christmas & the New Year, that won't happen here as those dates are always well supported in England.

Explain then how Germany have 4 weeks and still do fine.

They don't play cricket. :p

The Bundesliga consists of 18 teams, therefore they play 4 less games than here. I also doubt if they have a League Cup competition.

Edit: Our Premier League play 38 games, all other divisions 46.

Last edited:
Also, In Germany, they start their season at the beginning of August.

Ridiculous idea - we never know when the 'weather' will come. I dare say the Prem will sanction it at some time tho.

I voted no break needed from a purely selfish point of view that i would be lost without watching live football or even gillette soccer special to that point!!

ESPN Classics would get a right good seeing to!!

It would add more matches to overloaded players and would disadvantage the poorer clubs as those who could afford it would jet off to warmer climes and pay friendlies to keep "match fit"

This is the worst winter in twenty years, we hardly ever need to have games called off so don't see the need for a break.

No, especially in the lower leagues.

Our biggest income is revenue recieved from home matches. People buying tickets, burgers, drinks, programmes etc. If you take that away for say 2 weeks, a lot of Clubs, including us, would struggle.

Also, you can't predict the weather over here. If we shut the footballing programme over Christmas and re-opened it in January, then it hammers down with rain or snow and causes games not to go ahead it will make things worse.

Back