• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Most ridiculous rumour

Firestorm

Pedant
We have all heard stories from the golf course or from a friend of RM's cat,
what was the most absurd.

A bloke sitting next to me yesterday told me that he had been told by a friend of his that we were setting up a groundshare with Orient at a new ground in Dagenham..........I kid you not......

Have heard a few rumblings about groundshares involving Daggers or Orient for a little while now.

We have all heard stories from the golf course or from a friend of RM's cat,
what was the most absurd.

A bloke sitting next to me yesterday told me that he had been told by a friend of his that we were setting up a groundshare with Orient at a new ground in Dagenham..........I kid you not......

I think that rumour has been twisted a bit - what I heard was that we would be ground sharing with Orient - Daggers and Col U had turned us down when we asked about it!!

Sounds like a load of rubbish to me, although I suppose some kind of ground share may be possible pending the construction of our new stadium. Sounds unlikely though :nope:

The Chairman probably needs to get Sainsbury's new store in the car park under-way as soon as possible so he can get his hands on their money so a ground-share may be a likely scenario dependent on the "football ground in Southend" clause being invoked ( or revoked?). He doesn't seem to have bundles of loose cash to start FF and without support from Sainsbury we may wait even longer.
A ground-share towards, or in, London would IMO be a total disaster.

Personally i think a ground share with col u or orient would be great. We can smash all the seats and just trash them.

In all seriousness as long as the ground is being built and we need the cash from the hall then a ground share at dagenham and red would not be the end of the world for one season. We may even be able to tap into a few extra fans from that neck of the woods.

I used to live about 20 minute walk from dagenham and my old man still does. Its about a 25 minute drive from benfleet. It takes me about the same to roots hall.

The Chairman probably needs to get Sainsbury's new store in the car park under-way as soon as possible so he can get his hands on their money so a ground-share may be a likely scenario dependent on the "football ground in Southend" clause being invoked ( or revoked?). He doesn't seem to have bundles of loose cash to start FF and without support from Sainsbury we may wait even longer.
A ground-share towards, or in, London would IMO be a total disaster.

A groundshare in any of the aforementioned areas would be an exile not a groundshare...a la Wimbledon at Selhurst, our crowds would instantly be halved.
I am unsure as to the exact agreement in place on Roots Hall, but imho, the timescales don't quite add up.
In my experience of stadium construction, I would predict that in the event that there are no unforseen surprises on site, the stadium element of the build at FF (including access road/infrastructure) should take no longer than 14 months. Conservatively assuming that the various compulsory purchases are not finalised until the end of this season, Sainsbury would not be able to take posession of the Roots Hall site until say July 2010. Constructing a retail shed is fairly free of any real complications and would take probably half that of FF to build, but one must bear in mind that the demolition process would take a few months, and their store would not be able to open until the improvements to Vic Avenue have been made, which possibly doubles the programme. This means that, best case scenario, Sainsbury will not be able to open their new store until at least July 2011.

My understanding however was that a restrictive covenant exists on the deeds to the Roots Hall site meaning that the football club cannot be evicted until such a time as another home had been found for them in the Borough (I await correction as necessary!)...that then means that based on the above best case FF construction programme, we would not have a stadium until August/September 2011.

Assuming the covenant exists at RH, this delays Sainsbury's posession by another year....surely they won't be waiting around for that long?

Therein possibly lies the need to groundshare (basically the whole of the 2010/2011 season)...i.e. if we have agreed a vacation date at RH which has been signed and sealed....especially if Sainsbury are willingly feeding us money to bail the Club out of its current predicament.

Some food for thought possibly.

A groundshare in any of the aforementioned areas would be an exile not a groundshare...a la Wimbledon at Selhurst, our crowds would instantly be halved.
I am unsure as to the exact agreement in place on Roots Hall, but imho, the timescales don't quite add up.
In my experience of stadium construction, I would predict that in the event that there are no unforseen surprises on site, the stadium element of the build at FF (including access road/infrastructure) should take no longer than 14 months. Conservatively assuming that the various compulsory purchases are not finalised until the end of this season, Sainsbury would not be able to take posession of the Roots Hall site until say July 2010. Constructing a retail shed is fairly free of any real complications and would take probably half that of FF to build, but one must bear in mind that the demolition process would take a few months, and their store would not be able to open until the improvements to Vic Avenue have been made, which possibly doubles the programme. This means that, best case scenario, Sainsbury will not be able to open their new store until at least July 2011.

My understanding however was that a restrictive covenant exists on the deeds to the Roots Hall site meaning that the football club cannot be evicted until such a time as another home had been found for them in the Borough (I await correction as necessary!)...that then means that based on the above best case FF construction programme, we would not have a stadium until August/September 2011.

Assuming the covenant exists at RH, this delays Sainsbury's posession by another year....surely they won't be waiting around for that long?

Therein possibly lies the need to groundshare (basically the whole of the 2010/2011 season)...i.e. if we have agreed a vacation date at RH which has been signed and sealed....especially if Sainsbury are willingly feeding us money to bail the Club out of its current predicament.

Some food for thought possibly.

RM said the ground would take 2 years to build

**** me, I thought everyone would just laugh and post an equally ludicrous rumour....

The moving to basildon plan of the 80's was stupid, this one is in a different league...

**** me, I thought everyone would just laugh and post an equally ludicrous rumour....

The moving to basildon plan of the 80's was stupid, this one is in a different league...

Trust you to spark a bit of intelligent debate !!!! I have a good mind to ban you.

It would kill the club, end of! Look at what has happened to Brighton & Wimblegone! Would I travel to Borient, Col Ewe or Dagenham? No. Simple as that. Fickle? Yes I am. I choose the away games I go to & I didn't go to Borient this season!

I know I'm not alone in thinking this way. That said, its all bollocks!!

It would kill the club, end of! Look at what has happened to Brighton & Wimblegone! Would I travel to Borient, Col Ewe or Dagenham? No. Simple as that. Fickle? Yes I am. I choose the away games I go to & I didn't go to Borient this season!

I know I'm not alone in thinking this way. That said, its all bollocks!!

I wouldn't write off the rumour of ground-sharing, you never know it may be true.

Dangerous and stupid move if this goes ahead. It'll alienate a whole load of our fans, especially the kids who will turn to Premiership clubs.

RM said the ground would take 2 years to build

The overall development may be phased to take 2 years....doubt very much that the stadium itself would take 2 years to build. We delivered the Ricoh Arena and St Mary's in a touch over a year.

The overall development may be phased to take 2 years....doubt very much that the stadium itself would take 2 years to build. We delivered the Ricoh Arena and St Mary's in a touch over a year.

Ok cheers. The better the sooner i guess

Ok cheers. The better the sooner i guess

I should note that I don't know whether the ground will be open for use before the entire development is completed, but I see no reason why football could not commence whilst the retail and residential developments are ongoing...in fact, that would make most sense (for SUFC anyhow, not necessarily commercially).

Isn't the ground meant to opening 3/4 complete anyway with a capacity of something like 15,000 at first?

In fact, can't we groundshare with CIFC? It's only 2 mins from my door.

Back