• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Looking positively solid

danburyshrimper

Manager
....................................MILDENHALL.............................
FRANCIS.............M'VOTO.............HEATH...............WHITE
................................CHRISTOPHE...............................
.......GRANT...................MACCA..............MOUSSA...........
...................LAURENT..............BARNARD........................

SUBS: REVELL,SAWYER,WALKER,BETSY,HERD,JOYCE,FREEDMAN

(INJURED: SCANNELL,BARRETT,SANKOFA,O'KEEFE)

Any one else Happy with the squad now ? 2 big lumps at the back , 2 attacking full backs , very solid midfield , potential matchwinners up front.

11 decent players waiting in the wings .....
My only slight concern would be the lack of creativity , but as long as the full backs get forward + sling a few crosses in we'll nick a few 1 - 0 wins
i'M STARTING TO GET EXCITED !!! :support:

Prediction : Southend 1 Huddersfield 0
( Laurent 87mins)

Reckon that will be tilly's line up:

MILDENHALL

FRANCIS M'VOTO HEATH WHITE

LAURENT GRANT MACCA MOUSSA

FREEDMAN BARNARD

Personally i would prefer:

MILDENHALL

FRANCIS M'VOTO HEATH WHITE

CHRISTOPHE

WALKER SAWYER MACCA

FREEDMAN LAURENT

Adam will be breaking hell and high water to be out there to lead the team against Huddersfield for our first match of the season. I'm sure he will only miss out if it is absolutely necessary.

Mildenhall

Francis Mvoto Heath White

Lauren Sawyer Macca Moooousssa

Barnard Freedman

grant in for sawyer if his not fit

I think looking at the bigger picture, the pre-season activity hasnt turned out too bad with the 3 lads at the back coming in with (seemingly) good pedigree, along with Sawyer - I doubt we could have asked for more.

Perhaps we are short one really creative winger now, but after seeing Laurent in pre-season, I'd be happy for him to pay on the right and Moussa tucking in on the left.

So overall, pretty pleased! I'd go with this line up (and I'm assuming Barrett isnt gonna make it).

GK. Mildy
RB. Francis
LB. White
CB. Mvoto
CB. Heath
RW. Laurent
CM. Macca
CM. Sawyer (GOT to play!)
LM. Moussa
FW. Revell
FW. Barnard

SUBS: Freedman, Grant, Christophe (would rather he be in that Macca, but Macca is VC), Walker, Joyce, Herd, Betsy

And as I say, all in all, thats not too bad at all! Strength in depth will be our weakness and the form of White/Heath as to whether our defence ends up threadbare again come Sept 1st.

IMO we should start Revs and Laurent up front because Freedman and Barny will be too lightweight against the Huddersfield backline (especially Clarkey).

Revs has power and strength, and Laurent has pace and trickery to cause an Clarkey problems in the box.

As long as Revs and Laurent get the support from a creative midfield, i can see them being a very dangerous partnership...

IMO we should start Revs and Laurent up front because Freedman and Barny will be too lightweight against the Huddersfield backline (especially Clarkey).

Revs has power and strength, and Laurent has pace and trickery to cause an Clarkey problems in the box.

As long as Revs and Laurent get the support from a creative midfield, i can see them being a very dangerous partnership...

hahahahahhahahahaha, i do hope your joking, made me laugh

I really disagree, Dougie's got far more brains than Clarke, and if he's fit I'd start him every time. Laurent and Revs haven't seemed to find any common understanding on the odd occasion I've seen them play together up top.

This is how I think we'll start:
Mildenhall
Franno, Barrett/Mvoto, Heath, White
Laurent, Macca, Jeff, Moussa
Freedman and Barnard

I would like to see a winger (that can beat his man and cross) come in before Saturday.

If we can do that, I think we have a pretty decent side..

I would like to see a winger (that can beat his man and cross) come in before Saturday.

Anybody got Andy Ansah's or Ricky Otto's number? Even at their ages they could probably do a better job at that than certain other wingers, some we already have and any we could pick up on the cheap!!!

Last edited:
I really disagree, Dougie's got far more brains than Clarke, and if he's fit I'd start him every time. Laurent and Revs haven't seemed to find any common understanding on the odd occasion I've seen them play together up top.

Dougie might have a better footballing brain, but you can probably guarentee Clarkey has told his new team mates that Barny and Freedman are as fragile as china. Unfortunately DF and Barny can't compete with these 'powerhouse' type of players. I'm thinking they could be bullied completely out of the game.

When Laurent and Revs played together last season they looked a devastating duo! Even though it was only a few games (5/6/7)? .

Like i said they are players who need decent support to really click. The leeds game, they were unstoppable, and that was with Sawyer and HRK (IIRC?) in midfield.

I'd like to see someone like Julian Gray, Jerome Thomas or John Oster come here. Very unlikely I know...

Failing that, a decent youngster, who has the confidence to take defenders on and can put a decent ball in will do.

Last edited:
Like the look of the side but bit disapointed that none on the defence have really played together bar a run out at Stevenage. I feel it will take them a while to blend.

Also still worried by amount of loanees that we have.

Revs has power and strength, and Laurent has pace and trickery

Interesting idea GBjr, I think Tilly will be starting Laurent out on the wing though. With his trickery on the wing, Barney's natural goalscoring in the centre I think we could do well. I'm torn between Revs (height, workrate, holding ball up) and Dougie (more creative) to partner Barney though.

revells a top bloke and i like his blogs and im not knocking him, he does give 100% but he just dosn't cut it for me. Not the most gifted of footballers thats been at southend.

Revs doesn't just work hard, he may not score alot but he brings the midfield into attck more by laying holding the ball up, and laying it off. And with Macca, Moussa & Laurent in midfield, they could all get goals (so could sawyer but looks like he's out).

How I think we'll line up....

Mildenhall
Francis - Mvoto - Heath - White
Laurent - JFC - Macca - Moussa
Barnard - Freedman

subs: Joyce, Barrett, Herd, Grant, Betsy, Walker, Revell

How I want us to lineup...

Mildenhall
Francis - Mvoto - Barrett - White
Laurent - Grant - Moussa - Betsy
Barnard - Revell

If we can do that, I think we have a pretty decent side..

Yeah fully agree although Tilly will probably be working hard on this until the end of the transfer window. Can anyone remind me on how many loans we're allowed over a season of different durations. I get the feeling we may be quite reliant on them this year!

Interesting idea GBjr, I think Tilly will be starting Laurent out on the wing though. With his trickery on the wing, Barney's natural goalscoring in the centre I think we could do well. I'm torn between Revs (height, workrate, holding ball up) and Dougie (more creative) to partner Barney though.

Revs doesn't just work hard, he may not score alot but he brings the midfield into attck more by laying holding the ball up, and laying it off. And with Macca, Moussa & Laurent in midfield, they could all get goals (so could sawyer but looks like he's out).

How I think we'll line up....

Mildenhall
Francis - Mvoto - Heath - White
Laurent - JFC - Macca - Moussa
Barnard - Freedman

subs: Joyce, Barrett, Herd, Grant, Betsy, Walker, Revell

How I want us to lineup...

Mildenhall
Francis - Mvoto - Barrett - White
Laurent - Grant - Moussa - Betsy
Barnard - Revell

I think you're probably right about Laurent playing on the wing.

Unfortunately i don't believe that is his most effective position for us. I prefer him running at CB's and getting into the box rather than down the wing. Also I don't think he can track back effectively enough to be classed as a winger. If and when he comes up against a top class winger, will he have both the mentality and positioning to be able to cope?
It's OK in pre-season against opposition of lower calibre, but when you come up against decent wingers, that's when you get found out.

I think Udders are going to be in the hunt for the league this year so a point would be good IMO, but we did pick up all three against a strong Peterboro' side this time last year so wouldn't rule it out.

Mildy; Franno, Heath, Mvoto, White; Revell, Grant, Sawyer, Macca, Moussa; Barnard. Would be something I'd consider with Dougie to come off the bench and snatch the late late winner.

Back