• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Good people of ShrimperZone,

I come to you looking for some inspiration.

Basically it's my missus 30th next week, and it's mine in a couple of months. Now we've spent a fair whack over the summer and therefore had decided to scrap any thoughts we had on having a joint party. Next week was therefore going to be family come around, and then have a night out in town with mates/family/anyone who fancies it somewhere. As for mine, who knows what we would do - quite frankly i don't give a monkeys about birthdays and don't know if i can be bothered with the hassle (although i'll enjoy it when its happening).

Now the topic has been raised again as to whether we should just say sod it, and go for the joint 30th party thing.

There are various things which need to be considered:

- My brother is having his engagement party on 24 October (the date we had originally planned on having the party as it's in the middle of our birthdays). I think you can't really have another big party a week either side, and don't think we could have it this side of the 24th Oct due to short notice.

- Having it at home or using a venue. I would prefer to have a venue as it's less hassle, but equally it would be a lot cheaper at home. What venues would you recommend? We could be looking at 50-100 guests.

- Theme? DO we go for a theme to help make it more memorable? When we first thought about it at the start of the year we were going to have a Disney fancy dress party. Thought being that we wouldn't ask anyone for presents and hope they go for it on the the fancy dress. OR is there another theme we could go for such as Black & White? FilmStars? 80s, 90s etc... Any themes you think work? Or is it all just a load of bollocks.

So what are your thoughts on any of the above.

Cheers

TFS

Don't have a joint birthday / engagement party. One event will totally overshadow the other and someone will be left feeling pretty aggrieved at the end of the evening. "Oh, it's your birthday is it?" or "Oh, you're getting engaged, when?" never goes down too well.

Don't have a joint birthday / engagement party. One event will totally overshadow the other and someone will be left feeling pretty aggrieved at the end of the evening. "Oh, it's your birthday is it?" or "Oh, you're getting engaged, when?" never goes down too well.

Just to clarify the joint part is that it is mine and my wife's 30th birthdays. We won't be having a joint birthday/engagement party with my brother.

Good people of ShrimperZone,

I come to you looking for some inspiration.

Basically it's my missus 30th next week, and it's mine in a couple of months. Now we've spent a fair whack over the summer and therefore had decided to scrap any thoughts we had on having a joint party. Next week was therefore going to be family come around, and then have a night out in town with mates/family/anyone who fancies it somewhere. As for mine, who knows what we would do - quite frankly i don't give a monkeys about birthdays and don't know if i can be bothered with the hassle (although i'll enjoy it when its happening).

Now the topic has been raised again as to whether we should just say sod it, and go for the joint 30th party thing.

There are various things which need to be considered:

- My brother is having his engagement party on 24 October (the date we had originally planned on having the party as it's in the middle of our birthdays). I think you can't really have another big party a week either side, and don't think we could have it this side of the 24th Oct due to short notice.

- Having it at home or using a venue. I would prefer to have a venue as it's less hassle, but equally it would be a lot cheaper at home. What venues would you recommend? We could be looking at 50-100 guests.

- Theme? DO we go for a theme to help make it more memorable? When we first thought about it at the start of the year we were going to have a Disney fancy dress party. Thought being that we wouldn't ask anyone for presents and hope they go for it on the the fancy dress. OR is there another theme we could go for such as Black & White? FilmStars? 80s, 90s etc... Any themes you think work? Or is it all just a load of bollocks.

So what are your thoughts on any of the above.

Cheers

TFS

Question is, will there be those lovely curry puffs there?

Having a party at yours can only limit the numbers that you invite but will bring the costs down as you can get guests to bring the booze.

Do you have facilities for a BBQ at home. That way you can cater for the masses without spending loads. You could then run one of the murder mystery nights as entertainment and get everyone to join in.

Going to a venue will add costs that you didnt initially want but will of course make it an event to remember.

Make sure you have a special 'Biffa area' with a trough or an oil drum so people can chunder to their hearts content, and helps keep your decking sick free.

I'm not a great one for celebrating my own birthday so normally end up doing something low key. For my 30th we'd arranged just for me and the missus to go to San Francisco flying out on my actual birthday so i was more than happy with that. My missus had to twist my arm and really nag to get me to do anything else to celebrate with family and friends. In the end we just had a meal locally the night before and flew out on holiday the next day. I'm glad she did push me to do that as it was a good evening in the end but that was all it needed to be, a big party would have been too OTT for me.

I suppose my advice would be do what you (and your missus) want and don't worry about what expectations other people may have of what a 30th birthday should be. If you want a fancy dress then go for it, if you want something low key then do just that.

Back