• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Best Indian restaurant in the SS area?

Mad Cyril

The Fresh Prince of Belfairs⭐⭐
Not sure if this has been done before but I am sure everyone has an opinion.

I use the Mumtaz Mahal in Benfleet because it is a one minute walk from my house however the best I have sampled locally is probably the Gulshan near the Mecca Bingo. The one on Leigh Broadway (the name escapes me but they were in trouble for having hidden cameras in the womens toilets) is pretty good too.

Not sure if this has been done before but I am sure everyone has an opinion.

I use the Mumtaz Mahal in Benfleet because it is a one minute walk from my house however the best I have sampled locally is probably the Gulshan near the Mecca Bingo. The one on Leigh Broadway (the name escapes me but they were in trouble for having hidden cameras in the womens toilets) is pretty good too.

Is that because you had a weblink?

I think this has been done before, I'm sure someone will locate the thread. I prefer the Benfleet Tandoori to the Mumtaz.

Tandoori Parlour in Thundersley is good, and the Masa in Hadleigh although I hear that's gone backwards.

Tandoori Nights and the Anika on the Island aren't bad, but if you need to bring your own booze for the Anika if you eat in.

I think this has been done before, I'm sure someone will locate the thread. I prefer the Benfleet Tandoori to the Mumtaz.

Tandoori Parlour in Thundersley is good, and the Masa in Hadleigh although I hear that's gone backwards.

Tandoori Nights and the Anika on the Island aren't bad, but if you need to bring your own booze for the Anika if you eat in.

I occasionally eat at the Anika because my inlaws are mates with the proprietor. It never ceases to amaze me what some BYO punters bring along to consume with their Indian meal.

Tandoori Parlour is only good if you're dining a la carte these days, actually prefer the Maharajah. The Akash is it in Benfleet is also good.

Last edited:
I occasionally eat at the Anika because my inlaws are mates with the proprietor. It never ceases to amaze me what some BYO punters bring along to consume with their Indian meal.

You're right I've been in a couple of times for a take out, and seen blokes lugging in pallets of Stella & Smirnoff Ice.

As a takeaway the Everest on the Island is pretty good.

I should have added this to my original post. Top flight vanden plas Indian cuisine. The only thing it lacks is pre/post meal drinking venues.

The Brookside Tavern is over the road from The Hasina, also Bellhouse & Oakwood are not far away. There you go 5 pints in each then onto the Indian.

Not "Indian" but Sheesh on London Road, near Hamlet court Road.. just opened up by a mate of mine, and no ****ing joke.. beatiful asian food.

The Keralam which is on Scratton Road in town is very nice bit different aswell, the service when we was there was pretty slow though.

I've heard great things about The Polash in Shoeburyness. Only been there once myself and enjoyed it (I'm not even a massive fan of currys!)

Credited with the first Tikka Massala in the country, but I actually think it's pretty overrated. The Shagor in Hamlet Court Road and Indian Valley as I suggested earlier are both better, in my opinion, than Polash.

I've heard great things about The Polash in Shoeburyness. Only been there once myself and enjoyed it (I'm not even a massive fan of currys!)

Nice but not hot enough, vindaloo was pretty weak and that was after asking 3 time to have it extra hot!!

Went to The Ruchi on Southchurch Road not long ago and had a banging Chicken Tandoori Vindaloo, one of the best currie's I've had in ages!

I have heard that Tiffins, which is next to the Kursaal is one of the best around. I am booked in for the end of the month so will let you know.
A family friend who is Indian has stated it is the only restaurant he will actually go to to eat Indian because it is so authentic!
For ones I have been to I haven't had a better curry than The Gulshan. Although the Onion Bahjee's at the Polash are unreal!!!

The Mintoo at Whitmore Way in Basildon is one of the best you could go to. Lovely, lovely flavours in all their food, drinks are nice and cool, staff seem to have that balance between formality and informality. Being going there for 25 years and never had a bad meal.

Back