• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Best "story in a song"?

Car Seat (God's Presents) - Blind Melon
O'Malley's Bar - Nick Cave
Sad Eyed Lady of the Lowlands - Bob Dylan
Touch the Hem of his Garment - Sam Cooke
Streets of London - Ralph McTell

Less Is More

Also (and this isn't so good a choice!!!) Dawn's Tie a Yellow Ribbon.

:nope: ... Kay, you should have quit while you were ahead. I chose to ignore Andrew Gold, but this one ...? You'll be telling us about Gilbert O' Sullivan and 'Clair' next ... :'(

Fairport Convention 'Close to the Wind'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWxoH8zIpHc

Farewell to you, my faithful Nancy
And a thousand times adieu;
For the constable comes up from Brackley Market
And a hundred volunteers too.
No more will we hide in the forest
For fear they might run us to ground
For the wild sea, we'd sailed upon it
Too close to the wind.

For twenty years, we have roved the highways
Of Northamptonshire.
From Daventry down to the southern byways
We robbed both the rich and the poor.
For ofttimes our families were starving
And the highway it kept them alive,
So the wild sea, we sailed upon it
Too close to the wind.

Tonight I lie in a darkened dungeon
Condemned on the gallows to die,
While the man who gave us away is only
Bound for Australia.
No man could be found to defend us
Naught but abuse came our way,
For the wild sea, we'd sailed upon it
Too close to the wind.

The clouds they rise over Northampton market,
And the crowds pour into the town,
And the people will throng in the streets until sunset,
'Til the hangman cuts us down.
And fifty children of Culworth
Their fathers are taken away,
For the wild sea they sailed upon it
Too close to the wind.

:nope: ... Kay, you should have quit while you were ahead. I chose to ignore Andrew Gold, but this one ...? You'll be telling us about Gilbert O' Sullivan and 'Clair' next ... :'(

Oh come on Rob, we've had Two Little Boys mentioned! I did say this wasn't such a good choice, but I love Andrew Gold's track.

For Firestorm: name that Clash song ...

Biker anorak mode on.

its hardly comparing like with like. The Vinnie was one of the few 1000 cc bikes of the time, Nortons were not known for their motors, indians were low tuned american bikes and Greeves were scramblers.

Also Only 31 Black Lightnings were ever built before production ended due to Vincent's financial problems in 1952

Hey G - on a vaguely related note, name The Clash song from which this great Joe line comes from ...

"I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time ..." :)

Hey G - on a vaguely related note, name The Clash song from which this great Joe line comes from ...

"I got my motorcycle jacket, but I'm walking all the time ..." :)

TBH I didn't recognise it, googled it and saw it was off of "Cut the Crap"
Not being a great post Topper / Jones fan , that explained it , although this is England is one of the better ones on that album
The song also includes a reference to a Vincent Black Shadow (the more readily available version of the Lightning) and Triumphs

TBH I didn't recognise it, googled it and saw it was off of "Cut the Crap"
Not being a great post Topper / Jones fan , that explained it , although this is England is one of the better ones on that album
The song also includes a reference to a Vincent Black Shadow (the more readily available version of the Lightning) and Triumphs

Thanks for that! ;)

'CCC' is the only album of theirs I never bought, but the 12" of 'This Is England' is one of the treasures of my vinyl collection.

FWIW, I felt that Mick's debut offering with BAD was one of the albums of the eighties. Also, good to see Topper cleaned up and looking in much better shape than he did on 'From Westway To The World' in a Strummer tribute DVD I got a few years ago. He was saying then that he still sits in on skins at a music club in his native Dover on Sunday afternoons.

Just remembered what a great song/story 'Accidents Will Happen' by Elvis Costello & The Attractions is. With thanks to 'Ron Manager' (pka 'Libertine') for inadvertently reminding me of it via his 'Homesick Today' thread ...

Human League - Don't you want me.

Ok, its more of a conversation than a story but meh I'm posting it anyway.

Oooooh....just thought of Hurricane by Dylan. Not just a story in a song but a sodding opus!

Thanks for that! ;)

'CCC' is the only album of theirs I never bought, but the 12" of 'This Is England' is one of the treasures of my vinyl collection.

FWIW, I felt that Mick's debut offering with BAD was one of the albums of the eighties. Also, good to see Topper cleaned up and looking in much better shape than he did on 'From Westway To The World' in a Strummer tribute DVD I got a few years ago. He was saying then that he still sits in on skins at a music club in his native Dover on Sunday afternoons.

Yeah, Topper looked rough on Westway, but that said he did look a lot better on the more recent footage in the Future is Unwritten.

Back