• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Slipperduke

The Camden Cad
Grown men bounce into each other like rubber balls on the street outside, screaming incoherently at each other in beery ecstasty. At the front door, a woman tries desperately to light a cigarette in shaking hands, eventually giving up and asking the bouncer to help, tears of joy in her eyes. All around us, echoing off the houses, reverberating into the night, comes the chorus that they had waited so long to sing.

“Twooooo one! We beat the scum, two one!”

Welcome to Valentino’s, a cheap and nasty nightclub on the doorstep of White Hart Lane with just one redeeming feature; proximity. Inside it’s a mass of sweaty flesh and lager, of hugs and sloppy kisses and screams of unrestrained delight. Like survivors of a battle, these scarred veterans of disappointment stagger across the sticky carpet, hugging their brothers-in-arms close, exchanging hysterical stories from the front.

On the dance floor, underneath the laser-lights, a wheelchair-bound Tottenham fan spins in perfect circles, grinning uncontrollably. Behind him, a chubby blonde girl bounces up and down until one of her breasts pops out. Cackling with glee, she quickly tucks it back in, but no-one notices. No-one cares. The only topic of conversation is that they beat the scum. Two one.

Crashing over the top of us in waves is the soundtrack to any self-respecting night of Tottenham celebration, the works of Cockney pub-rock duo Chas‘n’Dave. It’s an unfortunate irony that all of Chas’n’Dave’s Tottenham songs seem to be about the FA Cup, a competition that Spurs exited at the weekend, but again, no-one cares. They have, after all, just beaten the scum. Two one.

As the exuberance settles and the post-mortem begins, you’d be hard pushed to find two Tottenham fans who could agree on a man of the match. ‘Ledley King,’ says one observer proudly. ‘Gomes’ says another. Luka Modric, Gareth Bale, Michael Dawson. It is, everyone agrees, a night of heroes. It is also, they tell me, the night that they beat the scum. Two one.

A place in the Champions League still beckons, the news that Aston Villa dropped points circulates quickly, but it’s a distraction to the main event. Predictions and guesswork can wait until the morning. Even the visit of Chelsea this weekend is mentioned only in hushed tones. Tottenham fans didn’t care about Chelsea. As they reminded me when I left, as they reminded the night sky at the top of their voices when they stumbled home, they had just beaten the scum. Two one.

Spurs fans, more than any other, do my head in. Since the full time whistle Facebook has been full of Spurs related status about how superb they are, how they will definately finish 4th, and how they are the best thing since sliced bread.

I'd love Man City to get 4th. Spurs fans are *****.

You lot would prefer to see a Northern Team who have bought their league position with the money from a Saudi Oil Sheikh (who rips us all off (alongside the govenment) at the petrol pump every time we fill up) over a Southern Club who have a passion for playing attractive football? Spurs are where they are thru hard work and determination, not default like Chelsea or Man City. If you still prefer Man City to get 4th then you are a disgrace, shame on you.

You go on about Spurs fans being up their own arse and forever going on about how big a club they are. Well, why not? Is that not their perogative? They are a big club compared to most. They are in the top 20 richest clubs in the world. I prefer to compare them to a sleeping giant that has just come out from hibernation. As are Man City, Aston Villa, Everton.
Why must a Spurs supporter apologize for wanting their team to play attractive football and then keep quiet when they are actually playing it? God i wish Southend could boast like they quite rightly can.

Sounds like jealousy to me!

ps. just compare the fans of Spurs and Man City

Spurs - Chas and Dave
Man City - Liam & Noel Gallagher

Chas and Dave have to win this arguament hands down based on Snooker Loopy alone.

You go on about Spurs fans being up their own arse and forever going on about how big a club they are. Well, why not? Is that not their perogative? They are a big club compared to most.

They DO have their heads up their own arses, I have known several Tottenham fans say they're the biggest club in London....!

In the grand scheme of the premier league they're not that big - off the top of my head I can think of several clubs - Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Chelsea and arguably Manchester City - who are bigger than Spurs.

And all this rubbish about playing "the Tottenham Way" which is a reference to the way they played for a whole three or four years of their existence in the early sixties. It's almost as insufferable as Tinned Spam fans bleating on about the fact that they allegedly won the world cup.

Perhaps if they showed a little humility then people might not dislike them so much.... however I can understand whey they get so excited when the beat Arsenal, after all they have been totally and utterly put in the shade by their near neighbours so it must be a blessed relief when they win one league game against them in over ten years.....

They DO have their heads up their own arses, I have known several Tottenham fans say they're the biggest club in London....!

In the grand scheme of the premier league they're not that big - off the top of my head I can think of several clubs - Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Everton, Aston Villa, Newcastle United, Chelsea and arguably Manchester City - who are bigger than Spurs.

And all this rubbish about playing "the Tottenham Way" which is a reference to the way they played for a whole three or four years of their existence in the early sixties. It's almost as insufferable as Tinned Spam fans bleating on about the fact that they allegedly won the world cup.

Perhaps if they showed a little humility then people might not dislike them so much.... however I can understand whey they get so excited when the beat Arsenal, after all they have been totally and utterly put in the shade by their near neighbours so it must be a blessed relief when they win one league game against them in over ten years.....

Spurs are NOT the biggest club in London, i agree!

Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and arguably Manchester City are bigger than Spurs. Everton, Aston Villa, Newcastle United not a chance! Newcastle were not even in the top league this season.

Why do people get so wound up about what Spurs Fans think? Surely, the proof is in what they produce on the field!

Incidentally, Arsenal have won nothing in 5 years (2005 FA Cup) Hardly awe inspiring for a big club either is it?

Spurs are NOT the biggest club in London, i agree!

Manchester United, Arsenal, Liverpool, Chelsea and arguably Manchester City are bigger than Spurs. Everton, Aston Villa, Newcastle United not a chance! Newcastle were not even in the top league this season.

League position is irrelevant - we're going to be in League Two next season and Colchester will be in league one, yet we're still the bigger club.

Newcastle have won about as much as Spurs but have a bigger stadium than Spurs, have a bigger fanbase than Spurs and have a bigger average attendance than Spurs (which for a Championship club this season is not bad going). Therefore they are the bigger club.

Aston Villa and Everton have also won much more than Spurs, have about an equal fanbase and bigger stadia, so they're bigger as well.

Why do people get so wound up about what Spurs Fans think? Surely, the proof is in what they produce on the field!

Because they're boastful for no reason and go on about past glories that happened over forty years ago. Be boastful when you've won something meaningful....

Incidentally, Arsenal have won nothing in 5 years (2005 FA Cup) Hardly awe inspiring for a big club either is it?

Indeed, Arsenal's recent record ain't great however they have actually won the premier league which is more than Spurs have done...

Newcastle have won about as much as Spurs but have a bigger stadium than Spurs, have a bigger fanbase than Spurs and have a bigger average attendance than Spurs (which for a Championship club this season is not bad going). Therefore they are the bigger club.

I would be careful using that analogy on here, you are bound to be sniped by the anti-toon army resident on here, of course they may hate Spurs more so you could get away with it.

You lot would prefer to see a Northern Team who have bought their league position with the money from a Saudi Oil Sheikh (who rips us all off (alongside the govenment) at the petrol pump every time we fill up) over a Southern Club who have a passion for playing attractive football? Spurs are where they are thru hard work and determination, not default like Chelsea or Man City. If you still prefer Man City to get 4th then you are a disgrace, shame on you.

You go on about Spurs fans being up their own arse and forever going on about how big a club they are. Well, why not? Is that not their perogative? They are a big club compared to most. They are in the top 20 richest clubs in the world. I prefer to compare them to a sleeping giant that has just come out from hibernation. As are Man City, Aston Villa, Everton.
Why must a Spurs supporter apologize for wanting their team to play attractive football and then keep quiet when they are actually playing it? God i wish Southend could boast like they quite rightly can.

Sounds like jealousy to me!

ps. just compare the fans of Spurs and Man City

Spurs - Chas and Dave
Man City - Liam & Noel Gallagher

Chas and Dave have to win this arguament hands down based on Snooker Loopy alone.

Guess I'm a disgrace then.

I have a soft spot for City and I think they actually deserve the new found money they have. They was still getting 32,000 playing at our level. That is impressive and extremely loyal.

Spurs USED to be a big side. They USED to win things.

Their fans are amongst the worst I have ever encountered. A few of my friends are Spurs fans but I can't dicuss football with them without hitting them. They are deluded. They genuinely think they deserve to win things.

As for getting where they are through hardwork. How much did the likes of Modric, Defoe, Crouch, Gomes, Woodgate, Bale, Bentley, Palacious etc etc cost? Spurs have spent mountains of money assembling the squad they currently have.

Aston Villa and Everton have also won much more than Spurs, have about an equal fanbase and bigger stadia, so they're bigger as well.

Because they're boastful for no reason and go on about past glories that happened over forty years ago. Be boastful when you've won something meaningful....

Newcastle have won league 4 times Last in 1927, the cup 6 times, last in 1955 League cup once and the EUFA Cup in 1969 (when it was the Fairs Cup)

Spurs have won the Title twice (1951 & 1961)
The Cup 8 times ( 6 times since Newcastle last did)
The league Cup 4 times , the EUFA cup twiceand the Cup winners cup once

So much for the past glories bit,

Back