• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A Ron Martin Statement Needed. Ron, please read.

It's nice to know that someone who hasn't asked 'everyone' has just assumed that 'everyone one of our fans was demanding money' to back up their own argument.

For the record I was, and still am, of the view that we went up in 2006 a year too early and expected a relegation the following season. At no stage did I call for signings to be made or money to be spent. In fact my view was to give a chance to the squad that got us there as they deserved the opportunity. This was also a view shared by others at that time.

'Everyone' is entitled to an opinion of whatever view they take. Opinion, however, shouldn't be presented as fact.

There's a serious point here. I dip in and out of this forum - I'm not the most regular contributor, but every time I've been on here in the last few years there's been someone calling for money to be spent on new signings or on wages. People seem to think that the job of a chairman is to pull hundreds of thousands of pounds out of the bag on a regular basis, which simply isn't realistic. When we get a new chairman (because he can't last much longer) how long it will be before the call goes out to get his hand in his pocket and spend six figures on some ***** from Brighton? Fans need to understand that a football club is a business, unless you're one of the lucky few with a sugar daddy chairman who runs it for fun.

The problems we've got at SUFC seem to be two-fold - 1) symptomatic of the general economy we've overspent, over borrowed, and lived beyond our means. We're now up to our eyes in debt. 2) the spiders web of financial dealings undertaken by our chairman would take a genius to unpick. however to a layman such as me, it seems that having sold our ground, and with a handful of players on the books, we don't essentially have any assets, which means we're technically broke.

If we really do want a statement, can't SZ, ST or anybody send an email to the club or needed, stick a letter in his home letter box?

Yes all 8000 odd of us last year are to blame for continuing to support a lost cause..It's a bit harsh trying to lay some blame at the fans feet in this dark hour.

If we really do want a statement, can't SZ, ST or anybody send an email to the club or needed, stick a letter in his home letter box?

SZ have been told he will get back to us...as far as I know the trust are trying to arrange a meeting.

pointless to be honest have sent 3 emails asking for question to be answered this week and yet have recived no reply also sent 2 tlx messages to RM phone as i have many conversation with him the past and still no reply not really expecting anything but will keep sending emails anyway

maybe i suggest people flood the club with emails maybe and maybe we all might get a response ...................................No Chance

Yes all 8000 odd of us last year are to blame for continuing to support a lost cause..It's a bit harsh trying to lay some blame at the fans feet in this dark hour.

SZ have been told he will get back to us...as far as I know the trust are trying to arrange a meeting.

The trust have there regular meeting with the club this coming 30/06/10 taken from there last minutes so dont expect a meeting before that

Just to remind our members that any posts containing threats to our Chairman or his home in the Benfleet Road will be removed to prevent any potential legal problems.

Thank you

id rather go with a fire bome but there you go

oh and as ive now decided to say things as I see it , as it we will only be about for another couple of weeks, JAM MAN YOU ARE A COMPLETE LADIES VUVUZELA.

Just to remind our members that any posts containing threats to our Chairman or his home in the Benfleet Road will be removed to prevent any potential legal problems.

Thank you

Can you remove the chairman at the same time ??

Thank you

If you could tell me which number Benfleet Road, it may help me. I'm unfortunately unemployed at the moment and I was thinking of applying for the vacant cleaning job at Ron's small modest pad.
A male cleaner is the way to go. I can help him on to his crutches with no sexual allegations involved. Luckily for him, I won't drive him mad with the questions I want answering as he doesn't speak to cleaners.

And therein lies the problem.

HAD TO PAY? Why did he have to pay those costs? We could have just been relegated with some grace. No one forced them to sell their souls. It was the executive's choice to do it that way.

They speculated and lost. We are now paying the price. It really is that simple.

Yes I agree. However, if you recall, WBA tried that a few years back when they first got promoted to the Prem. Their Chairman decided that no big money signings would be made. They got relegated and it cost the manager his job. The fans were in uproar.

The problem is that, as fans, we have high expectations. If we had not spent any money in the CCC, we would be financially sound and maybe still in L1. But the fans would have always maintained that if we had purchased players, we would have stayed up. The manager and owners would have never been forgiven.

It's easy to say what we should have done, much harder to say what we should do. The pressure on the club to strengthen the squad was enormous. We were competing for signatures of players who could have played for any CCC club, every one of them except Col bigger than us by some distance and we had to rely on players who were willing to come to us. If we signed no-one we were relegated. If we strengthened then we may have stayed up. The owners took the only course of action that gave them a chance of staying up. It failed, and you're right, they didn't HAVE to.

But I bet you would have done if you were in their shoes. I know I would have.

But I bet you would have done if you were in their shoes. I know I would have.
That's where we differ fbm, I wouldn't have.

But then I am an accountant & too boring to be of interest! (M Python - episode 2)

That's where we differ fbm, I wouldn't have.

But then I am an accountant & too boring to be of interest! (M Python - episode 2)

You will have a lot more knowledge of these sort of things than most of us on here, Hooly.
Can you make any sense of this?

The biggest shock for me was that Ron Martin took interest free loans from Martin Dawn plc, totaling more than £4.7million between 2006-2009.

Then there is the £60,000 a year management fee from S.U.F.C. Ron Martin charges through Martin Dawn plc.

Quote from the Echo; Mr Martin has always maintained he does not take a paid salary from Southend United for his work as chairman, and it is not clear from accounts of either of the companies what specific work the management fee covers.
His company Martin Dawn plc, also charges expenses to Southend United, including a bill of £95,585 in 2007. However, according to the 2009 accounts for Southend United, Martin Dawn charged no expenses that year and only £4,625 in 2008.
There are no further details in the accounts what the expenses cover.

You seem to think promotion is achievable, how?

...oh your a positive one aren't you! Don't you think maybe, just maybe, he is doing something about it but actually thinks for once we dont need to know. It isn't our problem, let them deal with it... Half of you grumpy lot will just moan about it even if he does come out and answer it all, you'll all just moan and moan further. Just let it be and look at it again in the new season. We'll get out of it sometime

...oh your a positive one aren't you! Don't you think maybe, just maybe, he is doing something about it but actually thinks for once we dont need to know. It isn't our problem, let them deal with it... Half of you grumpy lot will just moan about it even if he does come out and answer it all, you'll all just moan and moan further. Just let it be and look at it again in the new season. We'll get out of it sometime

A strange laid back comment, in my opinion. Are you by any chance one of his cronies?. You quote 'look at it again in the new season'. Well, i can tell you, most of us concerned supporters are worried about whether we will actually still be here to start it.

A strange combination of Mr Macawber and King Canute !!

Presume if various RM Companies charge Southend a fee then there would also be VAT to add to that fee??

Also, if any money was moved from Southend (of whom I am a shareholder albeit a minor one) and transferred to any other Martin Dawn entity then my question to anyone out there is "Is that legal ? Have the shareholders of SUFC been defrauded?"

I don't know the answer or even if it is illegal - just a question........answers please.

Also, how many shareholders does it need to call an EGM?

Presume if various RM Companies charge Southend a fee then there would also be VAT to add to that fee??

Also, if any money was moved from Southend (of whom I am a shareholder albeit a minor one) and transferred to any other Martin Dawn entity then my question to anyone out there is "Is that legal ? Have the shareholders of SUFC been defrauded?"

I don't know the answer or even if it is illegal - just a question........answers please.

Also, how many shareholders does it need to call an EGM?

As Mr Martin still owns over 70% of shares he can out-vote any opposition at an EGM.

Back