• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

What was Steve Tilson's great achievement at Southend United?

• Drawing at Stamford Bridge in the FA Cup

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Beefy

Life President
Breaks my hearts to have to post this in 'Ex-Shrimpers'....

Now the Tilson-era is over, what do you consider to be his greatest achievement at Southend United Football Club?

Forgetting the obvious promotions, signing Shaun Goater.

The archetypal cool head on experienced shoulders, He was everything we needed. He was the perfect foil for Eastwood up front, he taught Eastwood (and the other players, as well) so much of the game and was simply a joy to have around. I certainly don't think we would've been promoted without him, and his standing ovation and tears will long live in my memory.

But, out of those, It has to be the League One title. Nobody gave us a hope of staying up, yet we routed many at that level and 3-0/3-1 wins were a common sight. Unfortunately, It proved to be a poisoned chalice.

That is incredibly hard - whichever I choose, I will want to come back and change every ten minutes!

Forgetting the obvious promotions, signing Shaun Goater.

The archetypal cool head on experienced shoulders, He was everything we needed. He was the perfect foil for Eastwood up front, he taught Eastwood (and the other players, as well) so much of the game and was simply a joy to have around. I certainly don't think we would've been promoted without him, and his standing ovation and tears will long live in my memory.

But, out of those, It has to be the League One title. Nobody gave us a hope of staying up, yet we routed many at that level and 3-0/3-1 wins were a common sight. Unfortunately, It proved to be a poisoned chalice.

Prior was more influential IMO and we haven't had a decent defence since his legs went.

Has to be winning League One. Anyone can get lucky in a cup tie - just ask Col Ewe. But it takes a great manager and a great squad to win the League One title. Just ask Col Ewe.

;)

League One with a team of players who felt as though you knew.......few legends there in my eyes.

Man United, Chelsea @ Stamford Bridge were great, the play offs amazing....but that league win from your closest rivals is stuff of dreams

Getting to 8th last year after sailing close to the 'R Zone' in January was no mean feat either.

League One - over the course of 46 games, we proved ourselves to be the best of the 24 teams in that division, having been close to relegation from the Football League only two years previously. Don't forget the fantastic winning run during that season as well. Was it eight games on the bounce, culminating in the televised win over Forest?

had to say winning league 1. first real experience of travelling home and away every week and just have a lot of good memories from that season. best year in my southend time.

If it wasn't for Jermaine Defoe's hand it could have been the last 4 of a major cup competition and that might be a bit more attractive an option. I would say winning only our second ever title though.

Last edited:
For me it has to be the season we won League One.

That is judged over a 46 game season, not a one-off match like the Man Utd and Chelsea matches although they are obviously highlights. That season we had a group of players who may not have been the best players going, but the team spirit, the work ethic and the never say die attitude got us that promotion and we had some fantastic performances along the way.

We had only just come up, and lost on the opening day of the season to Port Vale and a season of struggle looked the likely course of action, but the 8 straight wins was so important because it gave us so much confidence which we carried into our other matches.

Another one would be the League Two play-off win. After the massive disappointment of Grimsby away, Tilson really had to rally the troops and pick everyone up and he did it superbly.

Today I had the pleasure to meet Steve Tilson again & probably for the last time. My part was just to record on camera the presentation of a fantastic collection of photographic memories of the Tilly & Brush era. For those who were not amongst the many who saw it at Lincoln today, the beautifully framed collection of photographs was the only quality thing about today. It was of the highest order & whoever produced it needs to be comended.

At 2.00pm the four of us, Cricko, Ken Mcasty, the soon to be Mrs McNasty (Mrs McNice?) & myself were led into Tilly's office where we were warmly greeted by Tilly & Brush. Ken briefly explained about the photos. Tilly then had a very close look at the words engraved on the frame & was clearly moved by them. Ken then made a short speech thanking him for all that he did at our club & hoping that Lincoln lost today, which Tilly laughed at. Tilly also asked how "Uncle Ron" was, where upon Cricko cracked a joke about having a cheque for him from Ron!

Tilly said a few words in reply & as mentioned before, was clearly moved & extremely pleased with our gift. He said that he will be hanging it in a prominent position at home.

Below are a few of the photos taken earlier:

IMG_1090-1-1.jpg

IMG_1087-1.jpg

IMG_1093-1.jpg

IMG_1095-1-1.jpg

IMG_1104-2-1.jpg

IMG_1124a-1.jpg

Last edited:
First of all great pictures.
However I blame all 4 of you for our defeat today as you can clearly see Tillys formation on the wall but failed to pass it on.( LOL, strange system)
Loving also seeing planning calendar empty, good forward planning Tilly
Office also looked very clean, has Tilly employed Rons cleaner????

Only one Stevie Tilson, Looking forward to the day he returns

Back