• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Thorpe Groyney

Open your mind
For the record, another Echo article confirming staff redundancies (Christine Sexton, Wed 7 July 2010)

Southend United have laid off call centre staff at the club in the wake of mounting financial pressure.

Young people employed to sell Southend United branded products to shops and season ticket holders and to sell advertising space for the club were told they no longer had jobs on Friday.

The decision is believed to affect four call centre staff. The mother of one 18-year-old who is still owed more than £500 thinks it's "disgusting".

She asked not to be named, but said: "My daughter had no notice. She went to work and was back half an hour later. She is supposed to have two weeks notice.

"I think it is disgusting the way they are being treated. Most of them are young and won't kick up a fuss. The club tells them they will get them other jobs, but it's all pie-in-the-sky."

In a week of turmoil at the club, manager Steve Tilson was replaced as manager, and it was revealed the tax man had applied to put the club in temporary administration over unpaid tax debts of £200,000.

The club faces another winding up order petition at the High Court over an undisclosed sum owed to local company Chaterhouse and the supporters' club the Shrimpers' Trust has demanded repayment of a £60,000 loan.

Southend United spokesman David Scriven said: "The call centre will be closed for July and call centre staff have been laid off. All outstanding monies will be paid as soon as practically possible.

"Football clubs are seasonal and the call centre will be reintroduced as and when there is a requirement for it. These are casual staff, some of which have been reassigned other duties at the club."

As long as they are paid for the work they have done and for the notice period I don't see the problem in this at all. Every organisation is cost cutting.

It's never nice for anyone at the moment to lose their jobs or not get paid for work they have done, but like in Groyneys statement , the call centre staff are seasonal and casual staff, pretty much like the guys working at peter pans or whatever its called these days... Its inevitable cost cutting which the club are now doing, its not nice for anyone concerned but it is necessary .

Yea, not nice but taking a job in a 'casual' position, you know these kind of things can happen. Again, its a story that people can hook onto and get wound up about.

Without sounding to rude to the people who were laid off, the kind of job they are doing ( cold calling ) is normally one of the only jobs you can find lots of vacancies in , so i am sure they will all be working soon and fingers crossed a few will be back working for SUFC come August time...

"All outstanding monies will be paid as soon as practically possible."
Is this not the most relevant part of the statement?

My sympathy is with these youngsters & let's just assume they are all owed around the same amount as the girl mentioned in the article. So, a couple of grand in total? In Ron's World "as soon as practically possible" could be a very long time indeed. Ask the HMRC, PFA, Trust & various football clubs.

Why not just say "they will be paid in line with their contracts"? :unsure: Oh, yes I remember now. ;)

ok I'm ready to be shot down here but, If this is one of the things that will help my football club survive then so be it. I appreciate that it won't be that much money saved and I do feel for these guys losing there jobs, but in the words of one of our (now) greatest rivals every little helps.

Back