• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Napster

No ⭐
TOMMY HAPPY TO REGISTER FIRST WIN
Posted on: Sat 31 Jul 2010

Assistant manager Tommy Widdrington was happy to register his first victory since moving to Southend United at the start of July on Saturday.

Bilel Mohsni's 26th minute header was enough to claim a 1-0 victory against Eastbourne Borough.

And Widdrington hopes the victory will continue to breed confidence at Roots Hall amongst his newly established squad.

"Every game we go into we want to win the match and we expect certain standards," Tommy told southendunited.co.uk after the match.

"On occasions we reached that level but on a tricky pitch our passing could have been better at times.

"However, it is pleasing to score a goal from something we have worked on during training and get that first win under our belts.

"If we are standing here during the season with a 1-0 win each week I think we would all be delighted."
Article continues
Advertisement
Microsoft Store UK

Widdrington reserved special praise for Tunisian centre-back Bilel Mohsni who scored his first goal for Southend against the Blue Square Premier side.

Mohsni, who has only played amateur football in Paris previously, has received rave reviews since his move to Roots Hall.

And ex-Southampton midfielder Widdrington believes he has all the ingredients to be a success in England.

"It is our job to get out there and find players to help take Southend United forward," he said. "Without getting too carried away Bilel has down very well in the games he has played in.

"He is still very raw but he has the basic tools that everyone would like - he is big, mobile and can head it - but he doesn't speak English which is a minor drawback and you could argue neither do Paul and I!"

Widdrington and manager Paul Sturrock also ran the rule over Peterborough United striker Rene Howe.

Howe played 64 minutes at Priory Lane before being replaced by Harry Crawford and Widdrington will now discuss his future with Sturrock.

"Peterborough were good enough to let us have a look at Rene and it is something we will obviously discuss now we have seen him up close and personal," said the 38-year-old. "We are obviously aware of him and he does have a good goalscoring record."

Southend will now entertain Premier League side West Ham United at Roots Hall on Tuesday evening in their final match pre-season run out.

The Hammers are sending a full first-team to face the Blues and Widdrington is looking forward to the test they will offer.

"It is going to be a good test; you want to test yourself against the better sides," he said. "There is a local rivalry and lots of people in Southend, if they are not ardent Southend fans, I understand they support West Ham so it should be a great crowd at the game and it will be a good wetting of the appetite for the real matches.

"It is pre-season though and whilst we want to get something out of every game we play in, it is all about getting miles in the tank for when the season kicks off."

And with that new season kicking-off in a weeks time against Stockport County at Roots Hall Widdrington believes Blues are in good shape.

He admitted: "I think the most positive thing is that we haven't looked like shipping a lot of goals, which is always a good foundation to build on.

"We would have liked to have scored a lot more goals but sometimes you can have good pre-seasons and start horrendously or other times you can stutter and get off to a flier.

"Because of the circumstances we found ourselves in three weeks ago I think to get to where we are with the group of players we have is very promising. "

That links over 2 days old as well....its like getting the paper a day later when you go abroad ;-)

i dont think people without computers have access.

i dont think people without computers have access.

iphone-parallels.jpg

Library%20Computers%20Best.jpg

Back