• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Tommy2holes

Life President⭐
Well here we are again. Tonight is the second game of the season and for once we dont face cheltenham town, but we do face a decent team in bristol city.

City for those who dont know ply there trade in the championsip and are tipped by some to be a dark horse in the race for the holy grail that is the premier league. They have certainly helped there cause by signing england goalkeeper david james whom as we all know played just weeks ago in the world cup.

Im sure they will have been greatly dissapointed to start the season by getting thumped by newly promoted millwall by 3 goals to nil. A wake up im sure for david james im sure.

As a point of note and one which dissapoints me personally, its only 4 years ago that we beat city to claim the league 1 title . However football kama has a way of having the last laugh and we are now in the basement division whilst city are signing england internationals.

Southend united go into this game having been given clearance to play josh simpson and chris barker from peterborough and plymouth respectively , but are still waiting on international clearance to play mohsni bilel and adam bouzid.

Ryan hall is also available having had to sit out of the first game due to suspension , but has been struggling to shake off a virus so may have to settle for coming off the bench.

Manager paul sturrock has hinted at change and for the first time a quite a while a southend manager has the options to be able change the starting line up.

Messrs Paterson sturrock zaboub and evans may very well find themselves in the starting line up and what will hopefully be a good game against higher league opposition.

Im sure city manager gary johnson will feel that changes need to be made to his city line up for tonights match and it remains to be seen wether david james will start in this game.

We may see a familiar face tonight in the shape of Jamal campbell ryce. The diminutive winger has returned to roots hall just the once since his departure to barnsley on a night were he claimed a wonder goal which we all took as a cross was deliberate.

I for one am looking forward to seeing some more of our new look team and maybe reverting to 4-4-2 with two out and out wingers.

Im sure tonights crowd will be a low one with only the east rumoured to be in use although other parts of the ground could be opened if required.

Im going to go with a crowd of just 2600 odd with blues succoming to a 2-1 defeat.

Blues will not play opposition of this quality in our own league this season and im sure having been thumped at the weekend city will not want an early exit in this competition.

Southend are still finding there feet and finding a formation and team that gets results is key in these early opening exchanges.

Please post your predicitions for score / crowd etc and whatever else . You know the drill.

I'm going for a 2-0 win.
Bristol City to hit the bar loads of times. But a strong performance from the blues.

Attendance 3,239. The South to be opened.

We are the Southend Boys!

Oh dear, JCR.........please let's not boo him, we remember what happened last time we did! I never thought he deserved it anyway.

Good write up. Please note that Steve Coppell is now in charge, Gary Johnson is now manager of Peterborough. I have always found Gary Johnson's teams have been well organised and we struggled regularly against Yeovil in the past. Perhaps tonight we will fare better against Coppell's boys.

Clueless what the score is gonna be, I reckon both teams will score. I know they just lost 3-0 to Millwall but Bristol City are a good side and are gonna want a good run in the cup to.
Why is the East stand only open can I just say??

Just about to leave my pit of an office, train it straight down from liv st for the game...
I'm only a newbie to this but i'll go for an entertaining 2-1 Southend, although crowd will be small i think it will be in good voice....
Beer o'clock me thinks!

Just about to leave my pit of an office, train it straight down from liv st for the game...
I'm only a newbie to this but i'll go for an entertaining 2-1 Southend, although crowd will be small i think it will be in good voice....
Beer o'clock me thinks!

Just sent you a private message Vultan (don't worry, it's a friendly one). Just click on notifications at the top.

Come on you Blues, won't be making it for this one and even more reason when I've failed my theory (anyone else as dumb as me?). Watching Southend isn't exactly the best spirit-riser.

I'm going for a 2-0 win.
Bristol City to hit the bar loads of times. But a strong performance from the blues.

Attendance 3,239. The South to be opened.

We are the Southend Boys!

What ever you are on, give me some!

Can anybody confirm the prices for tonight as i cant seem to find it on the official site and the polite staff at the ticket office just hung up on me.

Is it £12 adults and a £1 for under 16's as i have a 14 year old who wants to come.

Match updates will be available on the SZ Twitter page. Unfortunately I can't seem to get them to forward straight to the Tweets widget on the board which is slightly disappointing.

EDIT: No, there they are... All fixed.

Last edited:
Can anybody confirm the prices for tonight as i cant seem to find it on the official site and the polite staff at the ticket office just hung up on me.

Is it £12 adults and a £1 for under 16's as i have a 14 year old who wants to come.
http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/HomeTicketsDetail/0,,10444~2108126,00.html

Ticket prices have been set at £12 for adults, £7 concessions and £1 under 7's.

Looks like it's £7 for your 14yo.

I take it that the chat room will be in full use tonight?

Hope so, I'll be there!

Looking forward to this one, going for a close win that will carry some forward motion into the next league game and start a run.....I hope.

I can see a tough game tonight... a real test for our new look defence in their first proper competitive match against higher opposition.
It will be tight, and who knows maybe extra time.

I think we will be edged out by the odd goal in 3

I can see the side putting in a spirited performance but losing 2-1, which i'd be happyish with. We won't be playing anyone else of this quality this season (unless in the FA cup) and feel it may be a difference in class too much.

Saying that, this is Southend. The ONLY team in England with a 100% record against Man U :-) (love saying that) so anything can happen.

The line-up's been announced: Morris, Grant (I assume it's him at right-back?), Coughlan, Prosser, Barker, Soares, Easton, Simpson, Hall, Sturrock, Paterson.

So back to 4-4-2. Clohessy is injured and Mohsni and Bouzid still don't have permission.

Glad to see Paterson and Sturrock up top
Think 4-4-2 will be the best formation tonight. I reckon we will have a real go at them.

Back