• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bratislava Blue

Manager
I was wondering what people thought about Mr Sturrocks coomets following last nights game. Personally I commend hi or his honestl not just last night but at other times already and the seaon has only just begun.

If he has an opinion abut certain players within th squad then he is not shy to pass comment. I am sure that if he is saying tis to us, whoever the individuals are certainly get the message too.

I don't want to compare or criticise Tilson, but I cannot recollect too many cases after a bad performance when he went on record in the manner that Sturrock has to date.

I am sure and also hope that he is a anager that if not satisfied with individuals and their performance then any inept display on the pitch is followed by a spell on the bench. He has palyers within the squad who can play in different positions and this is what I believe his transfer stratergy to date has been, versitility favouring strong individual positional players.

I know that it is early ays yet and many players are still finding their feet and settling in. However I think that Saturdays game against a team that has started off strongly will be the type of game that Sturrock will ask many questions of the squad... One of them being.. ARE YOU UP FOR IT?... Because on Saturday, they will have to be.

COME ON THE BLUES!

Would seem to consider, correctly, that success has to be based on solid performances and results at home. Last night and against Port Vale the standard of performance was far below what PS has demanded and, refreshingly, he is not shy in expressing his disappointment, frustration and anger to the fans and, more importantly, to his players. Don't think that there were too many celebratory hugs when they got to the changing rooms, following the penalty shoot out!

http://www.southendunited.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10444~2141331,00.html

The standard of last night's game was far superior to the Port Vale performance though so I think it would be unfair to give them too much of a rollicking.

The standard of last night's game was far superior to the Port Vale performance though so I think it would be unfair to give them too much of a rollicking.

I didn't think last night was that bad...? over my years of watching the blues I have seen alot worse, we lacked a cutting edge , yes, but at least there was effort ...

That is true , but gillingam should have scored on about 3 or 4 occasions. If they had have done then we would have been lambasting the players. That was the difference against vale. They were excellent up top. We are in desperate need of a direct striker and the only one we do have does not seem to get minutes from sturrock.

I didn't think last night was that bad...? over my years of watching the blues I have seen alot worse, we lacked a cutting edge , yes, but at least there was effort ...

Based on last nights performance it's clear there is talent but it's not yet quite come together. Ryan Hall's first half performance was especially encouraging. Like you said a lack of cutting edge. I think Paterson should have started ahead of Sturrock. Matty, while far from the finished article does tend to get himself in the right areas.

I still don't get the Blair Sturrock continual selection. I'm not having a real go at him, because he's actually turned out to be a much better player than I thought. But with the personnel next to him, it's not working. If he was playing with a sharp, deadly striker, then his holding the ball up and short passes would work. It affects the way his team mates pass to him, it is always back to goal, and then he knocks it back or sideways, they never try to put him through on goal. The Corr and Paterson partnership hasn't been given a chance yet, I think that would be a bit more direct. Better still of course, a pacey goalscorer on loan. The defence and midfield is fairly solid, I think we are just missing a cutting edge.

I still don't get the Blair Sturrock continual selection. I'm not having a real go at him, because he's actually turned out to be a much better player than I thought. But with the personnel next to him, it's not working. If he was playing with a sharp, deadly striker, then his holding the ball up and short passes would work. It affects the way his team mates pass to him, it is always back to goal, and then he knocks it back or sideways, they never try to put him through on goal. The Corr and Paterson partnership hasn't been given a chance yet, I think that would be a bit more direct. Better still of course, a pacey goalscorer on loan. The defence and midfield is fairly solid, I think we are just missing a cutting edge.

No offence intended as your post is a good one, but while we're at it, if we could also bring in a physically imposing, strong yet mobile, defence marshalling centre-half, a couple of defensively-solid ambidextrous attacking wing-backs who can put the ball into the right areas and a strong in the tackle, creative, goal-scoring midfielder on loan, that would be ace.

:clap:

I still don't get the Blair Sturrock continual selection.

Blair Sturrock makes me feel robbed of a proffessional career. Its a simple kids Sunday league scenario where you get a game cause your dads the manager.

He was Gillinghams best defender last night. Broke up our attacks and slowed the play down. One situation was hilarious.... he pick up the ball with one defender to beat 20 yards from goal. Instead of going forward he decided to turn around mis-control the ball and kick it off for a throw in. Real class!!!

Its a shame as i think if we had someone with a bit of pace who could link up with Corr we would look a fairly decent side at this level.

Last edited by a moderator:
Blair Sturrock makes me feel robbed of a proffessional career. Its a simple kids Sunday league scenario where you get a game cause your dads the manager.

He was Gillinghams best defender last night. Broke up our attacks and slowed the play down. One situation was hilarious.... he pick up the ball with one defender to beat 20 yards from goal. Instead of going forward he decided to turn around mis-control the ball and kick it of for a throw in. Real class!!!

Its a shame as i think if we had someone with a bit of pace who could link up with Corr we would look a fairly decent side at this level.

What is kids' Sunday league football is not realising you need to slow down play so your support players can get forward.

Regarding Blair I thought he was all right last night. For me he did his job, held the ball up quite well and laid it off, when the runner came from midfield. For me that was the problem, that rarely was the run from midfield made, they seemed to lack the desire for it really. Blair's only ever going to play as well as the options that are made for him, he's not someone who will spin, run 30 yards and put it in the bottom corner. As long as he has someone to knock it off to I think he's a good part of the side. Not someone who is mouthwatering at all but is quite reliable. That said, I wonder what Matty Paterson thinks, being behind Blair in the pecking order!

Regarding Blair I thought he was all right last night. For me he did his job, held the ball up quite well and laid it off, when the runner came from midfield. For me that was the problem, that rarely was the run from midfield made, they seemed to lack the desire for it really. Blair's only ever going to play as well as the options that are made for him, he's not someone who will spin, run 30 yards and put it in the bottom corner. As long as he has someone to knock it off to I think he's a good part of the side. Not someone who is mouthwatering at all but is quite reliable. That said, I wonder what Matty Paterson thinks, being behind Blair in the pecking order!

Does Paterson think? He didn't show any signs of thinking last night.

Agree with you entirely on the midfield. It was a very flat performance, both in terms of shape but more particularly effort. Anyone would have thought it was a third rate cup we were playing in, rather than the prestigous JPT.

What is kids' Sunday league football is not realising you need to slow down play so your support players can get forward.

Not when the opposition defence has squeezed the play up so your forwards are only 5 yards infront of your midfield. You would need to get behind the back 4. We dont have that option. On the odd occasion Blair tried that he got caught offside. Our play couldnt of got any slower. The pace needed picking up!

I'd much rather have Paterson up front with Corr than Sturrock. "But Sturrock holds up the ball" etc etc. Why do we need that when Corr is better than him at that. Corr wins twice the amount of headers that Sturrock does, I also think Corr has better passing and strength. If Sturrock was a potent goal threat then a case could be made for his continual conclusion in the side.

Either Paterson or Spencer (is he unfit?) should be playing up front with Corr and trying to form an understanding and partnership. We don't have too many options, which is why support from Hall, Soares etc is vital, especially if we're playing two holding forwards such as Corr and Sturrock.

Blair sturrock is not a striker nor is he a midfielder he is a playmaker. Getting a pacey foward ahead of him and a midfield to support him and you will see his best.

Unfortunately for him the system we are playing does not suit his style of play ,so we may have to use him as sub going foward.

As you are all well aware I am a big fan of young Paterson and he must be really down to find himself behind Sturrock in the pecking order. Last night Corr and Sturrock proved once again that they should not be our starting strikers, neither showed any belief in each other. Paterson is a completely different type of striker, he needs ball to feet or down the channels, last night he got nothing, some of our 'hoofing' out of defence and midfield was a joke.

Corr has got that bit more than Blair, Paterson should be starting with him.

Very impressed with Luggy's comments after the game, we were poor all over the field and we are nowhere near making Roots Hall the fortress we need.

Paterson is behind Sturrock in the pecking order because he isn't as good a footballer. He has, Bristol City aside, where he got on the end of a couple of crosses, never showed anywhere near the intelligence, control, vision, or anticipation, that Sturrock and Corr play with. For those lambasting Sturrock for not turning and running at the defenders, give him a break. He knows his limits and his abilities. He is not going to skin a player and sprint thirty yards to goal. Instead he will involve the midfield and try and get a proper move that may end in a cross for himself or Corr started. Paterson has never really shown this ability, and instead relies on attempting to chase down lost causes, and miscontroling the few half-chances he may get.

Paterson is only 20, he's still improving as a player and with the right attitude he could turn into a fantastic player, not sure if he's all there yet but I'd like to see him start just so we can fully see what he can do.

Not when the opposition defence has squeezed the play up so your forwards are only 5 yards infront of your midfield. You would need to get behind the back 4.

That's not Sturrock's fault, that's the fault of a static midfield. In that situation, the forward needs to hold the ball up until someone gets open. If no-one gets open that isn't the forward's fault.

Sadly our midfield wasn't as dynamic as it was against Bradford. This was partly because Simpson was deployed at right-back, but also because no-one seemed to be overly exerting themselves in a minor cup competition. The off-the-ball running was generally poor. It was only really Sturrock himself who found space by dropping deeper.

It's a shame we don't have a fit Jay Smith (if you'll excuse the oxymoron) or someone in that mould, because he'd thrive on Sturrock's intelligent play. Guttridge is another who'd enjoy playing in the same team.

Paterson is only 20, he's still improving as a player and with the right attitude he could turn into a fantastic player, not sure if he's all there

Snigger.

Paterson definitely hasn't yet "got" our system/style of play, which is a black mark against his footballing intelligence.

He looked a willing channel runner when he first arrived, but he wasn't even offering himself for that last night. I'm wondering whether his game has more to it, or whether he is that one-dimensional.

As for needing balls to feet, he showed no inclination to move for it, meaning that a defender could always just nip in front of him and get there first. There's some ability there, but IMO he looks like a project at the moment, which may or may not pay off. The only positive I can draw from his performance last night was his penalty, which was superb. He may be the best penalty-taker we've had since Mike Marsh.

Back