• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Bluebird

Evening Shrimpers.

We had a friendly today. A trialist striker played and it is thought that it is Francis Laurent. Based on last year was he any good? Show any good signs etc?

All the best

Bluebird

There will be those who tell you he wasn't, however, he is a pacy attacking player, who draws players. He is extremely gangly but for some reason, seems to get the ball through seemingly impossible situations. He's tricky and exciting to watch at times but he is inclined to let his head drop. I liked him ;)

Poor mans Paulo Wanchope.

Very, very skillful and does things you wouldn't think possible at times. But unfortunately had very little end product most of the time.

Would of liked him to stay as he's a lovely bloke and may of been a big hit in League Two. But, Championship he is not I'm afraid Bluebird.

Oh and he is a better right winger than striker by the way.

Last edited:
Laurent was a good player, just didn't do enough whilst he was here.

Seems we had a Reserve game this afternoon as well v Dagenham and Red, with a couple of triallists playing (am trying to find out who). We won 3 - 0 with Paterson bagging two. Prosser, Hall, Soares, Zaboub, Coughlan etc all played.

There will be those who tell you he wasn't, however, he is a pacy attacking player, who draws players. He is extremely gangly but for some reason, seems to get the ball through seemingly impossible situations. He's tricky and exciting to watch at times but he is inclined to let his head drop. I liked him ;)

totally agree with that, as if his long legs kept the ball just a few inches away from the opponent,
unfortunately he was the classic case of beat three players then fall over! maybe with the right players he could up his game, but tbh i'd be very surprised if he was Championship level.
equally entertaining and astonishingly frustating.

1 game he's great, 3 games he isn't and loses the ball way to often, oh & needs to defend from his position too - needs motivating to play his best every game IMHO!

It was hard to believe the player who coasted through his final 18 months here was the same player who turned in one of the msot devastating performances I've ever seen from a Southend player against Leeds.

I think Laurent is the sort who will probably do better at a higher level than he did at the bottom of League One. He's got the ability.

It was hard to believe the player who coasted through his final 18 months here was the same player who turned in one of the msot devastating performances I've ever seen from a Southend player against Leeds.

I think Laurent is the sort who will probably do better at a higher level than he did at the bottom of League One. He's got the ability.
I think Laurent is the sort who will thrive in a team high on confidence and team spirit instead of becoming disillusioned in a team who were totally ****ed off.

I think Laurent is the sort who will thrive in a team high on confidence and team spirit instead of becoming disillusioned in a team who were totally ****ed off.

true, he's a confidence player. however tactically he's very naive and that will count against him if he was to go to a decent team, he'd be expected to play a certain way and he doesn't have that discipline. A shame, because technically he's excellent.

He can beat players with tricky skill, but he can't pass, can't shoot and can't cross.

Flaky doesn't even begin to describe him.

If he used his brain I think he'd be a premiership player. Some of the things he did where unbelievably good and some where incredibly useless.
But if he nailed down, slowed himself down and used that brain that he undoubtedly has he'd be brilliant.
He needs coaching and a good manager, he doesn't fit in a system really he's just a player that is on the pitch playing separately from any kind of formation.
I thought he was great, but also useless. If that is even possible?

I think he'd be exactly the same player in the championship that he was in league one, and would be no different again in league two.

I also think he would be an excellent signing for a team looking to sign him as an impact player to bring off the bench, but whether he's willing to accept that role is another matter. You'd also have to resist the temptation to try and build a team around him, or include him on a regular basis as he lacks a final product and has little to no concept of defensive duties.If your manager understands these limitations and isn't wowed by his unfulfilled promise that will likely never be fulfilled, then he'll be an excellent signing. I don't even know who your manager is, but I doubt he does.

The other thing in Laurent's favour is that he is an absolute top draw comedian. The best I've seen since Dom Iorfa.

Are Cardiff trying to race AC Milan in creating the most temperamental forward line in footballing history? I thought Robinho, Ronaldinho and Ibrahimovic would have their fair share of sulks and inconsistencies, but Laurent, Bellamy and Bothroyd puts them right up there.

Is Laurent temperamental? He looks like he should be moody and sulky. And he is French. But everyone who speaks to him says what a lovely chap he is.

Laurent's inclusion was more factored around his chronic inconsitency... Bellamy's temperamental enough to make up for Laurent's all-round decent persona.

I think Tilson said that once, when he first signed him as a striker, and that was more a likening to his physical presence.

Back