• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Our third clash sees two players who I think were team-mates, goalkeeper Trevor Roberts and inside forward Mike Beesley.

Post your cases for them, and a poll will follow later, but if you can't wait to cast your vote, you can always vote on McAlinden v McCrory or Anderson v Watson

Our third clash sees two players who I think were team-mates, goalkeeper Trevor Roberts and inside forward Mike Beesley.

Post your cases for them, and a poll will follow later, but if you can't wait to cast your vote, you can always vote on McAlinden v McCrory or Anderson v Watson

Well Mike Beesley wasn't much cop in goal, but similarly Trevor Roberts never really mastered that overhead kick. How can you compare the two?

Mike Beesley was a really versatile player. He was signed as a centre forward, but when he rejoined the Blues (1967) he began to play anywhere. IMO his best position was as a central defender. Never gave anything less than 100% effort.
Trevor Roberts was a very good keeper. I could not understand why we signed Lawrie Leslie as first team goalie ahead of Roberts, but Leslie's injuries soon meant Roberts was back. He played for a long time for us before going off (Cambridge United?) where his cancer finished his playing career. He faced his illness with great bravery; there was a very moving feature on him in Football League Review after he died. Roberts had a degree in Geography from Liverpool and I think used to teach this subject part time at Belfairs.
I really liked Beesley but he was in the end an average though very consistent player. Roberts was a very good goalie and will get my vote

Well Mike Beesley wasn't much cop in goal, but similarly Trevor Roberts never really mastered that overhead kick. How can you compare the two?

Your right Mick, comparisons are difficult for a goalie and an outfield player. However, I'd place Trevor Roberts, along with Merv Cawston, Sammy, Roycie and Flavs as one of the top 5 goalkeepers of the last 50 years. When it comes to inside fowards or attacking midfielders I couldn't see Micky Beesley getting close to being in the top 10.
Therefore the late Trevor Roberts gets my vote.

Your right Mick, comparisons are difficult for a goalie and an outfield player. However, I'd place Trevor Roberts, along with Merv Cawston, Sammy, Roycie and Flavs as one of the top 5 goalkeepers of the last 50 years. When it comes to inside fowards or attacking midfielders I couldn't see Micky Beesley getting close to being in the top 10.

What he said plus:
  • Trevor reckoned 10 minutes with Eddie Firmani coaching was worth 10 years of Alvan Williams.
  • Trevor properly decked a Col U forward at Layer Road when we were 3-0 down - after the resultant sending off and penalty we were 4-0 down!
  • Worse than Lawrie Leslie was when Trevor was left out for that **** Brian Lloyd
Trevor is an absolute legend.

I will have to go for Mike Beesley
I am too young to remember Beesley and Roberts playing, but Mike Beesley was an old family friend.
While I was growing up we used to see a lot of Mike and loved hearing the stories of his pro days and having a kick about with him. Mike talked about his 2 spells with Southend and had a real passion for the club.

Trevor Roberts gets my vote, one of Southends best ever goalies, as well as being my teacher at Belfairs

Both great players, remember them well. Trevor Roberts also a lovely man whom I met several times. Tragically died young. Impossible to compare the two but my vote would go to a great goalkeeper Trevor Roberts.

Mike Beesely wasn't even the best player of the two that came to us from West Ham at the same time.That was Derek Woodley.Trevor Roberts was quite simply the best keeper I've ever seen play for the Blues.Miles better than Darryl.Taller too.:)

Mike B was excellent but Trefor will always get my vote if only for that wonderful left hook he delivered at the Layer Rd match referred to above.Great goalie as well.

Trevor Roberts gets my vote. All round really nice guy. Brilliant goalie. I too was at Layer Road that night, what a cracker!!

I will have to go for Mike Beesley
I am too young to remember Beesley and Roberts playing, but Mike Beesley was an old family friend.
While I was growing up we used to see a lot of Mike and loved hearing the stories of his pro days and having a kick about with him. Mike talked about his 2 spells with Southend and had a real passion for the club.

if you never seen played who the **** can you vote for,too young
to remember ****ing hell, well,,,,.**** your family friends.

Yes I would go along with that although I always liked Mr Beesley

Trevor Roberts is perhaps my all time favourite Southend player. He wasn't the best goalkeeper we have ever had although it is a close call, but to counteract that he was just one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I first met him in the 60's over at Priory park, he always had time for a chat with us youngsters and the odd kick-about and he became my favourite player from those day's on. He is without doubt the one man that made me fall in love with this club and football at that time.I was sad when he left to go to Cambridge but he returned to the town to teach at Belfairs school and I often used to see him about.He always remembered me and stopped for a chat.

When I see some of the so called stars of football today hugging the media headlines and being paid ridiculous wages whilst inflating their ego's..I feel they maybe should take a leaf out of Trevor's book on how not only to be a footballer but how to act along the way.

One of the saddest days of my life and one that still brings a tear to my eye (and even writing this does) was the day I heard he had died.. It was the first death I had known for someone I had felt so much affection for and it was for me like a close member of my family had passed away.

So I suppose this poll will judge players on their skill mostly....If it was for the best ever Southend United Player based on skill and personality this would be a walkover.

Quite simply Trevor was and will always remain my hero.

R.I.P.

[video]http://www.britishpathe.com/record.php?id=44361[/video] after the ad.

Never thought Beesley really shone at this club,So Roberts gets my vote on the playing front, plus he taught me at Belfairs whilst wearing the club blazer!

Beesley presented me with my first football medal years and years ago so will always remember him !! He was also manager at Stones sports shop along the London Road at Leigh for years after he packed up playing....

Beesley presented me with my first football medal years and years ago so will always remember him !! He was also manager at Stones sports shop along the London Road at Leigh for years after he packed up playing....

He was and he sold me a cricket bat.

Mike Beesley was an early hero for me he signed in the summer of 1962, and I saw my first game inAugust that year. He seemed to score in every game after signing and I remember the press calling him goal a game Mike. I liked Beesley, but not even near my top 10 of forwards.

I liked Trevor Roberts, as others have said he was a lovely bloke and one of the best keepers we've had at the club, and he'll get my vote.

Last edited:
Trevor Roberts is perhaps my all time favourite Southend player. He wasn't the best goalkeeper we have ever had although it is a close call, but to counteract that he was just one of the nicest people you could ever meet.

I first met him in the 60's over at Priory park, he always had time for a chat with us youngsters and the odd kick-about and he became my favourite player from those day's on. He is without doubt the one man that made me fall in love with this club and football at that time.I was sad when he left to go to Cambridge but he returned to the town to teach at Belfairs school and I often used to see him about.He always remembered me and stopped for a chat.

When I see some of the so called stars of football today hugging the media headlines and being paid ridiculous wages whilst inflating their ego's..I feel they maybe should take a leaf out of Trevor's book on how not only to be a footballer but how to act along the way.

One of the saddest days of my life and one that still brings a tear to my eye (and even writing this does) was the day I heard he had died.. It was the first death I had known for someone I had felt so much affection for and it was for me like a close member of my family had passed away.

So I suppose this poll will judge players on their skill mostly....If it was for the best ever Southend United Player based on skill and personality this would be a walkover.

R.I.P.

Brilliant Cricko, simply brilliant video snatch. Recognised Tony Bentley with the group of players named, it really took me back.

PS It's a pity Alvin Williams had to make an appearance!

Last edited:

R.I.P.

Absolutely spot on - and what a magnificent clip.

Back