• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Robbo

South Upper miserabilist
I know that this has been discussed before, but with the current positive vibes emenating from RH, is it time to consider moving back to "The Shrimpers" rather than the rather generic "The Blues"?

I don't follow "The Blues", I follow "The Shrimpers". The club's nickname should relate to its geography and culture in my opinion, instead of the rather lazy focus on the kit's primary colour.

I don't know - maybe most people aren't really bothered but with the club trying to rebuild relations with the fanbase wouldn't this be something that they could consider?

Its never been the blues for me, we are the shrimpers, always have been always will be. it drives me mad when people refer to us as the blues.

To me there both. Blues and shrimpers. The shrimpers is us , but its a moutful. Most clubs have the c'mon you chant followed by there nickname etc, but c'mon you shrimpers doesnt works so blues was inserted instead.

If you think about all the chants over the years very few have had the shrimpers in them.

Ooh too ohh too be ooh to be aaaaaa shrimper is a rarity amongst the fans.

Were as blues is used in lot of the chants by fans primarily as its easier. Our nickname is a danger to itself for being almost impossible to fit in to any chants.

I will always be a shrimper but support the blues

The only time "Blues" should be shouted is during the chant in the lead up to corners... The "Clap, clap clap clap, Blues" chant, which was pretty impressive at Bradford.

So glad you brought this up Robbo, Southend are the Shrimpers, there are plenty who are the Blues. We're Shrimpers first and foremost and Blues second.

We'll always be the Shrimpers but 'Blues' is always handy for songs & chants etc. No reason why blues can't be used when appropriate but I don't think anyone would want to lose the 'Shrimpers' identity.

I know that this has been discussed before, but with the current positive vibes emenating from RH, is it time to consider moving back to "The Shrimpers" rather than the rather generic "The Blues"?

I don't follow "The Blues", I follow "The Shrimpers". The club's nickname should relate to its geography and culture in my opinion, instead of the rather lazy focus on the kit's primary colour.

I don't know - maybe most people aren't really bothered but with the club trying to rebuild relations with the fanbase wouldn't this be something that they could consider?

When was the last time you went fishing for shrimp?

We'll always be the Shrimpers but 'Blues' is always handy for songs & chants etc. No reason why blues can't be used when appropriate but I don't think anyone would want to lose the 'Shrimpers' identity.

My thoughts exactly.

When was the last time you went fishing for shrimp?

Fair point. However my point was that "The Shrimpers" does have some relevance to the town/area where we are. In contrast, "The Blues" could be any number of teams around the country.

So glad you brought this up Robbo, Southend are the Shrimpers, there are plenty who are the Blues. We're Shrimpers first and foremost and Blues second.
As you know Kay this is historically inaccurate. Don't let me have to find my Gonger Frost election leaflet. If we're going for historical links the Saxons is much better. A bit agressive, good "passion" and we know footie fans like passion, Roots Hall built over a Saxon settlement, well lots of Saxon artifacts found when it was quarried for gravel, near Priory Park where the Saxons lived and near where they buried their king. And we're in Essex, home of the East Saxons.
I think I'll change my name to C'mon you Saxons.
Shrimpers is lame, lame, lame.

Fair point. However my point was that "The Shrimpers" does have some relevance to the town/area where we are. In contrast, "The Blues" could be any number of teams around the country.

We're both the Blues and the Shrimpers. I'd also say we're the (sea, sea) Seasiders.

There are also only one Blues as far as I'm concerned.

The name has even more history than that of the Shrimpers and it distinguishes us from our deadly rivals, Southend Athletic (splitters!).

This is a timely debate since our next home game on the 18th September is against Morecambe-the first ever League battle of the Shrimpers.
And I'll be over to see it!

As you know Kay this is historically inaccurate. Don't let me have to find my Gonger Frost election leaflet. If we're going for historical links the Saxons is much better. A bit agressive, good "passion" and we know footie fans like passion, Roots Hall built over a Saxon settlement, well lots of Saxon artifacts found when it was quarried for gravel, near Priory Park where the Saxons lived and near where they buried their king. And we're in Essex, home of the East Saxons.
I think I'll change my name to C'mon you Saxons.
Shrimpers is lame, lame, lame.

I prefer Yellows anyway. Yeeeeellllllooooooooooowwwwwwwwssssssssssssss

What Leigh-On-Sea?

To me we can/do have several nicknames, Shrimpers/Blues/Seasiders/United, Shrimpers is more unique though.

The name has even more history than that of the Shrimpers and it distinguishes us from our deadly rivals, Southend Athletic (splitters!).

Can't green you for this but it made me laugh.

This is a timely debate since our next home game on the 18th September is against Morecambe-the first ever League battle of the Shrimpers.
And I'll be over to see it!

They're the shrimps, we're the shrimpers. I think this means we're going to :net: then catch (kick) them all (including the ball) into our nets and cook them!

I noticed in the programme on Saturday the Shrimp on Morcombe's badge. I also noticed it had bigger feelers than ours. I had a temporary moment of "feeler envy", but it went away very quickly, fortunately!!! ;)

Back