• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Westcliff Shrimper

Director of Footballs⭐
Need a bit of clarification - apologies all, but haven't been to a game this season, so a bit out of the loop.

At the moment, I believe we have the following centre backs signed to the first team squad:

Graham Coughlan - also reserve team coach
Chris Barker - ex-Plymouth, who can also play left back
Bilel Moshni - soon to be cult hero it seems...
Mark Philips - ex-Millwall, played only 2 games
Luke Prosser - ex-Port Value, played only 3 games.

Anyone know what has happened to the last two, as neither has even made the bench yet?

Ta.

Need a bit of clarification - apologies all, but haven't been to a game this season, so a bit out of the loop.

At the moment, I believe we have the following centre backs signed to the first team squad:

Graham Coughlan - also reserve team coach
Chris Barker - ex-Plymouth, who can also play left back
Bilel Moshni - soon to be cult hero it seems...
Mark Philips - ex-Millwall, played only 2 games
Luke Prosser - ex-Port Value, played only 3 games.

Anyone know what has happened to the last two, as neither has even made the bench yet?

Ta.

My reading of it is that Philips has an excuse (hamstring I think)................................Prosser doesn't!

phillips and prosser started the season as first choice CB, since the wolves game mohsni and barker have been the pair looking solid, mohsni is like efe sodje on speed

phillips and prosser started the season as first choice CB, since the wolves game mohsni and barker have been the pair looking solid, mohsni is like efe sodje on speed

superb moshni comparison! bandana perhaps!

and as far as i can see prosser made such a gaff against port vale that hes swiftly became a sub!!

Prosser and Phillips were panic signings when we didn't have any centre halves to start the season and both are, in my opinion, a little way off the pace. Coughlan is way past his best. The other two look good together though.

Phillips is a very decent player who will have a part to play. Prosser is a very cheap player.

I'd imagine as suggested above that Prosser was a case of get a cheap centre back, any centre back, just so we can start the season & in the meantime we'll keep looking for better options. He's probably still on BSBP wages & was persuaded to join on the basis he'd get another chance at league football. Well he had the chance & it seems proved why he was non-league!

To be fair, by all accounts on here he played well during the first couple of games. He had a shocker against Vale, of course.

Prosser was fine against Bristol City and Stockport in his defence... It certainly looks as though the Vale performance has shattered his confidence and Sturrock will have to rebuild it. He's still a very young player who'll benefit greatly from Coughlan's presence.

Phillips is a very decent player who will have a part to play. Prosser is a very cheap player.

I missed a few games as was on holiday but saw them against Stockport and I thought they both did ok in that game and its good to see we have decent players to call upon.

To be fair, by all accounts on here he played well during the first couple of games. He had a shocker against Vale, of course.

I thought he was the better of the two vs Stockport, but didnt see the Vale match.

Barker is one Im completely convinced about at Centre Half to be honest, he is lacking in height and when Torquay piled on the pressure in the last game he didnt seem to win any headers and Im interested to see how he measures up against other teams who hoof the ball at us. Then again I was in the family enclosure so wasnt in a great position to judge his first half performance.

PS I find it a bit unsettling discussing which option is the best out of 5 centre backs. What next? Which creative midfielder to play ? Whats the world coming to ?

Last edited:

Liked the comparison to Sodje!

Agree Phillips is steady player at lower league level. Defends well and keeps it simple

Prosser was fine against Bristol City and Stockport in his defence... It certainly looks as though the Vale performance has shattered his confidence and Sturrock will have to rebuild it. He's still a very young player who'll benefit greatly from Coughlan's presence.

Prosser had done well until the Port Vale game where he, and many others had a mare. He was replaced at half time.

He is a cheap player, I won't reveal how much he is on but he was on £250 a week at Port Vale. I drink with his Uncle at my local pub. He admitted to Sturrock he was having a mare against Port Vale, although you'd have to have been blind to not see that, and asked to come off.

Can't we pleeeeease get this Moshni fella on a long as possible contract before he learns how to speak English and gets tapped up by the some agent scum who holds us to ransome before advising him not to renew his contract and walk away for free. He is quility with the attitude to match and before long we are going to have scouts crawling all over the place again.

I think we've got a ood batch of centre backs here, considering we had no money to play with and had to sign cheapish players, i think that as a group its good. Obviously Moshni is outstanding and i thought that as soon as i saw him play in the derby friendly, however can make the odd mistake, like poor distribution, but will always win the tackle, plus he has brilliance so that overrides his shortcomings. Barker, i didnt really rate at left back however at centre he is different wins a lot in the air,and has the experience and calmness to help nurture Moshni. Coughlan is a good person to have with helping the youngsters in positioning and decision making, and will make a good coach, so sturrock has got him on the right deal. He deals with stuff good aerially, but is slow due to his age of 35 and will get caught out by pacy strikers, but will do a job if we have no other alternatives, like people being injured. Phillips i thought i was quite good, a tidy player, not outstanding or one to catch the eye, but did his job without any fuss. Prosser i thought was good, but will always let nerves get the better of him, which might change with more experience or age, and probably does need a partner with more expereince to play along side him, so him and Moshni cant play together, though i still think all can play at this level, you can only play certain pairings according to the game and stuff like that.

Back