• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who is the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Vying to join Sammy McCrory and Peter Watson in the next round, we have John McKinven and Bill Garner.

Your reminiscences please.

Difficult one.I always liked John Mckinven a lot but I loved Big Bill Garner.Always thought he was good enough to play for England(though sadly he never did) round about the time that Tony Hately was winning a fair few caps and it was no suprise to me when one of the big boys(Chelsea)came in for him.We signed him from non-league Bedford.Great to see him at HT at Stamford Bridge in the Cup.Who can forget his song "Six foot two.Eyes of Blue.Big Bill Garner's after you?" Our fans gave him a much better reception that Chelsea's did.Presumably the prawn cocktail brigade have shorter memories than us Shrimpers.What a wonderful centre forward.

Last edited:
Both excellent players but for me, John McKinven was the greatest winger we ever possessed. He was hugely skilful, fast, tricky, crossed an awesome ball, and a lovely man to boot. His broken leg, too early in an illustrious career, cut short his time with us. Bill Garner was a brilliant header of a ball and scored some fabulous goals for us. He was never very skilful but he certainly knew where the net was. For me Johnny Mac was the best and is a true Blues legend.

Difficult one.I always liked John Mckinven a lot but I loved Big Bill Garner.Always thought he was good enough to play for England(though sadly he never did) round about the time that Tony Hately was winning a fair few caps and it was no suprise to me when one of the big boys(Chelsea)came in for him.We signed him from non-league Bedford.Great to see him at HT at Stamford Bridge in the Cup.Who can forget his song "Six foot two.Eyes of Blue.Big Bill Garner's after you?" Our fans gave him a much better reception that Chelsea's did.Presumably the prawn cocktail brigade have shorter memories than us Shrimpers.What a wonderful centre forward.

Just cos of the Wolves game!

Johnny Mac has a lot to be bitter with Graham Taylor about but he gave us great service again after he recovered (never fully).

Biil Garner was a good player but Johny Mac for me if just for his fantastic step over trick.

Johnny Mac has a lot to be bitter with Graham Taylor about but he gave us great service again after he recovered (never fully).

Biil Garner was a good player but Johny Mac for me if just for his fantastic step over trick.

Ha! Just because you never went to that one and I did!
I trust you made up for it the other week? ;)

A really close call - but McKinven by an inch - and only because of his longevity in a blue shirt. That said, I know which of the two at their best I'd put in the current team, and it wouldn't be the Brylcreemed Scot.

Toughest tie of the whole competition for me so far , Bill Garner was a very good player and Goalscorer as his move to Chelski proved but McKinven was a great winger and one of my favourite players of that era.....Hmm I will have to think on this.

I think Mick said that he only made 3 or so appearances the season following his injury, before he retired, no wonder I've always loathed the idiot Taylor with a vengeance. John McKinven was a great favourite of mine a skillful and tricky winger.

Bill Garner was an integral part of our first promotion season in 71/72 and formed a great partnership with Billy Best, as has been said he was sold to Chelsea fot=r 100k a few days after our match with them in the League Cup. He's also back at the club today. A tough one and as Cricko said it needs some thought.

John just because he had the oldest boots i have ever seen, not the tarts slippers players play in now. also a great player

I am a bit stuck on this one ---- John McKinven was my favourite winger as a kid, I even started playing on the wing when I was young and Bill Garner was the greatest footballer I have ever played against.

Not sure I can choose between the pair of them.

John McKinven was great. Anyone else remember his goal v Workington 1968 when he beat three men before driving it in left footeed. Or his wonderful gaol v Crewe right footed the eyar before.
But Bill Garner will get my vote. He was the key member of the first Southend side evr to get promotion (1971-72) Without his goals and all round play we wouod never have gone up. His perforance v Chelsea in the League Cup 1972 was astonishing - he murdered them in the air (a defence including David Webb) and only an tremendous performance by Bonetti in the Chelsea goal prevented us from drawing level. Remembert that through injuries our other striker that night, Booby Bennet, was a 17 year old making his debut. Bill Garner carried the attack on his own. West Ham we favourites to sign him, but typically was taking thei time on the fee, trying to get him on the cheap. After his performance v Chelsea, the W London side simply came in with £100k and signed him up.
Remember Bill Garner's first goals for us? This was on Boxing Day afgainst Lincoln. A flu bug had hit the club and we put out a scvratch side witha `5 or 6 year old on the left wing. Garner scored an amazing goal with a strike from outside the penalty area to give us a 1 - 0 lead, then when we were 1-2 down he scored agin at the death to earn us a point.
McKinven was great - but for us Garner was a winner

John McKinven was great. Anyone else remember his goal v Workington 1968 when he beat three men before driving it in left footeed. Or his wonderful gaol v Crewe right footed the eyar before.
But Bill Garner will get my vote. He was the key member of the first Southend side evr to get promotion (1971-72) Without his goals and all round play we wouod never have gone up. His perforance v Chelsea in the League Cup 1972 was astonishing - he murdered them in the air (a defence including David Webb) and only an tremendous performance by Bonetti in the Chelsea goal prevented us from drawing level. Remembert that through injuries our other striker that night, Booby Bennet, was a 17 year old making his debut. Bill Garner carried the attack on his own. West Ham we favourites to sign him, but typically was taking thei time on the fee, trying to get him on the cheap. After his performance v Chelsea, the W London side simply came in with £100k and signed him up.
Remember Bill Garner's first goals for us? This was on Boxing Day afgainst Lincoln. A flu bug had hit the club and we put out a scvratch side witha `5 or 6 year old on the left wing. Garner scored an amazing goal with a strike from outside the penalty area to give us a 1 - 0 lead, then when we were 1-2 down he scored agin at the death to earn us a point.
McKinven was great - but for us Garner was a winner
ç

There were two Yoof players making their debuts for us that day IIRC.

Probably the toughest choice so far. Both were matchwinners in their own inimitable way.

John McKinven was so skilful, goalmaker and goalscorer ... and that dragback ... brilliant.

Bill Garner, signed by Ernie Shepherd from Bedford Town for about £12,000. Nothing to choose between Bill and Stan Collymore IMO. Both went on to play at the highest level for big clubs. Whereas I always thought Stan was good enough to play for England, I felt that Bill's lack of pace let him down. Except when he managed to kick me up in the air when he was playing for Savon United in the Sunday League!

Close, but because Bill Garner played @ the highest level, he gets my vote.

Last edited:
I agree with a lot of the posts here - a very difficult choice - but I am going with John as he is my all time favourite blues player (and I sponsored him in this contest!)

I dont care about the Wolves game everyone is entitled an off day

I've opted for Bill Garner mainly because of his part in our first ever promotion, and the fact he also went on to be successful for Chelsea in Division 1.

Bill Garner all the way, if not just for his partnership with the ultimate winner in this contest.

Yep Bill Garner for me , remember seeing his 5 against Weymouth in the Cup ! Also played cricket against him (Benfleet v Southend) !!!

I also think this one to be the closest. Bill Garner went on to prove himself at the highest level,and John McKinven was maybe the best leftsided player in my lifetime supporting Southend, So im going for Johnny mac.

Back