• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Who was the greater Southend legend?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Yorkshire Blue

Super Moderator⭐
Staff member
Another intriguing clash as Tony Bentley is up against Bill Garner in the type of tie that I suspect would have made a good 50:50 on the pitch.

Two of my favourites, Tony Bentley a Roots Hall stalwart of many years, solid right back and scorer of the occasional goal, the preferred option being a rocket right footer into the North Banl goal.

Bill Garner signed from non league Bedford, big strapping centre forward, probably more skillful than he was given credit for. Great in the air and formed a lethal partnership with Billy Best in the promotion year of 1971/72. Transferred to Chelsea aftera narrow League Cup defeat in 1972 for 100k, and is still involved with SUFC today.

Garner for me.

Really difficult. But I'm voting for Tony Bentley. Garner was a great player, but Bentley played consistently well for a decade, and often showed enormous spirit in teams which gave up too easily.

Tony Bentley for me, although Garner played at a higher level Tony was ever present for a decade or more in a Southend shirt.

Tony Bentley for me, although Garner played at a higher level Tony was ever present for a decade or more in a Southend shirt.

What he said - a great servant to the club - never gave less than 100% and never shirked a challenge.

This is really tough for me as I got to know both Tony and Bill quite well.

Bill was outstanding and rightly went on to play at a higher level than Tony. But Bents was @ Roots Hall for over 10 years and probably our best ever right back.
So Tony Bentley just edges out Bill Garner for me.

Back