• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Fish

Manager
I don't come on SZ half as often as I used to. Partly because I'm a conscientious worker, but mainly because we keep having the same tired debates week in week out. So, my rant is this. Which 'rant' topics would you like to see banned from the board?

I'll start off with:
- We've got no money let's get rid of Ron
- I pay my money so I have a right to abuse Southend players at matches if I like
- I'm a more committed fan than anyone else because...

I don't come on SZ half as often as I used to. Partly because I'm a conscientious worker, but mainly because we keep having the same tired debates week in week out. So, my rant is this. Which 'rant' topics would you like to see banned from the board?

I'll start off with:
- I pay my money so I have a right to abuse Southend players at matches if I like

How about
- lets sack PS for not turning a squad of free transfers assembles on three weeks notice into an instant promotion side

- Scott Spencer should play because he scored a goal once.
- Barry Corr is the worst striker I've seen at this level.
- Randomly generated Guardian article.

Needless slating of Southend players. Spencer scored 4 last season, the same amount as Pato and Blair have this season. This despite being in a higher league, playing half as many games (as Blair), and being in a squad of gutless players that never tried (If you believe many a poster on here).

Even this season he has as many assists as Blair does, despite this being the supposed strong point of Blair's game, not being the traditional goalscoring striker. Is it any wonder some people feel he should be given a chance. I would be just as happy seeing Blair line up as I would Spencer, although my preference would be Paterson. Given the plethora of loan strikers we have had in, Blair's up and down performances (yes he tries hard and has a decent footballing brain, but sometimes his ability just doesn't keep up) and Corr's nigggling back injury that fans would like to see a player who showed some potential last year given a fair crack of the whip?

In Paterson, Corr, Blair and Spencer we have four different strikers with different attributes. If we bothered to use them all, we would be so much better for it.

Needless slating of Southend players. Spencer scored 4 last season, the same amount as Pato and Blair have this season. This despite being in a higher league, playing half as many games (as Blair), and being in a squad of gutless players that never tried (If you believe many a poster on here).

Even this season he has as many assists as Blair does, despite this being the supposed strong point of Blair's game, not being the traditional goalscoring striker. Is it any wonder some people feel he should be given a chance. I would be just as happy seeing Blair line up as I would Spencer, although my preference would be Paterson. Given the plethora of loan strikers we have had in, Blair's up and down performances (yes he tries hard and has a decent footballing brain, but sometimes his ability just doesn't keep up) and Corr's nigggling back injury that fans would like to see a player who showed some potential last year given a fair crack of the whip?

In Paterson, Corr, Blair and Spencer we have four different strikers with different attributes. If we bothered to use them all, we would be so much better for it.

I'm more open to allowing players who deserve a chance this season to play, rather than those who showed a glimpse of goalscoring potential last season (Yes, in a higher league, but also with the likes of Moussa in the side). For all the apparent potential Spencer has, those who have seen him feature for the reserves haven't much positive to say about him, and it's been made quite clear that we've been eager to move him on for some time.

I'm also more prone to selecting a strike partnership that brings the most out of our most talented striker. With that being Barry Corr, I'd prefer that to be Sturrock ahead of both Paterson and Spencer.

I'm more open to allowing players who deserve a chance this season to play, rather than those who showed a glimpse of goalscoring potential last season (Yes, in a higher league, but also with the likes of Moussa in the side). For all the apparent potential Spencer has, those who have seen him feature for the reserves haven't much positive to say about him, and it's been made quite clear that we've been eager to move him on for some time.

I'm also more prone to selecting a strike partnership that brings the most out of our most talented striker. With that being Barry Corr, I'd prefer that to be Sturrock ahead of both Paterson and Spencer.

I don't think we should be so static with our striking partnership. Barely any assists have come from the partnering striker, but from the midfield, mostly crosses in from out wide, alá Hall and Clohessy. Given this I'd rather have two strikers in the box with the greater finishing instincts, IMO Corr and Pato. I know some will argue that Blair's work sometimes brings those players into play, but for me, more often than not his holding up of the ball tends to slow down play and allow the opposition defence to re-organise. That's not to say he doesn't have a part to play, against the rougher teams like Crewe and Rotherham, I would rather see Blair play his role against, also as a sub in games where we are looking to hold on to a lead.

My point was mostly against rubbishing threads where people say he should play, if we can't discuss team selection, what can we discuss? Your point against his selection (his performances in the reserves) is a fair one, but there are also valid points for giving him a chance as well.

I'll start off with:

*yawn*. Do you know what a "Forum" is? Here, I'll help you out:

forum (ˈfɔːrəm) — n , pl -rums , -ra 1. a meeting or assembly for the open discussion of subjects of public interest 2. a medium for open discussion, such as a magazine 3. a public meeting place for open discussion 4. a court; tribunal 5. (in South Africa) a pressurgroup of leaders or representatives, esp Black leaders or representatives 6. (in ancient Italy) an open space, usually rectangular in shape, serving as a city's marketplace and centre of public busines[C15: from Latin: public place; related to Latin foris outside]

Well,
I think the maintance man should be disciplined/sacked. The toilets in the ladies loo is still leaking and there is still no hot water

Back