• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The General

The Mouse (*)
Courtesy of: Echo online

FOUR Southend venues face having their licences reviewed after police found evidence of cocaine use.

Traces of the Class A drug were found in a series of police searches of pubs and bars. It is believed customers had taken cocaine in toilet cubicles.

The four premises are the Vie Bar in Leigh Broadway, the Exchange in Southchurch Road, Southend, Clouseau’s bar in Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff, and the White Horse in Southchurch Road, Southend. They could be subject to possible licence changes and new conditions, or even closure.

Operation Farmbike was carried out on November 12. It involved a team of 40 police officers, using sniffer dogs.

At the White Horse, as reported in Monday’s Echo, police found evidence of drug taking and received reports of fights and public safety concerns.

Licensing officer Sgt Danny Barnes said: “The reviews are as a result of swabs using the Ion Track system, which detects traces of drugs.

“The readings were sufficient for us to believe certain premises are not adhering to their licence objectives.

“There were high readings of cocaine in toilets. It seems to be the drug of choice.

“Nobody wants to go into a toilet and have the cubicle shut and hear that nasal sound.”

He added: “We have had good co-operation with all the premises and the owners have already agreed to certain conditions.” Sgt Barnes said it was decided to call the reviews to “send a message that we will not tolerate drugs being taken in licensed premises in the borough”.

The bar and pub owners have said they are working with police to prevent drugs use on their premises.

The review of Clouseau’s bar will be on January 18.

The licences for Vie Bar, the Exchange and the White Horse will be reviewed by Southend Council on January 21.

Licensees: we’re taking preventative action

LICENSEES have defended their bars and pubs in the wake of the police crackdown.

The licences of four Southend pubs are to be reviewed this month after police drugs searches.

The management at the Exchange, in Southend, and Clouseau’s, in Westcliff, said changes were already being brought in to improve the situation. Andy Dickins, leaseholder of Clouseau’s said: “We were shocked and surprised to hear the results of the search.

“We have worked with the police and they have been reasonable with their requests.

“We are putting CCTV into areas outside the toilets and increasing observation by staff.”

A spokesman for the Ex-change, which is run by the East Anglia Pub Company, said: “We’ve had a meeting with the police and they are aware we have a very good reputation in the town.

“However, this kind of thing does take place.

“We have implemented measures that will discourage any use of substances on the premises in accordance with what the police have asked for.”

The spokesman said CCTV and regular checks were already in place but searches will be stepped up.

A worker at Vie Bar in Leigh said the owner was on holiday and unable to comment.

The Orchid Group, which owns the White Horse pub, said a new manager was appointed on January 4 to implement changes.

------

Hardly a shock, the White Horse has always had a bad reputation but i've never seen/heard it going on myself!

I don't think those particular Pubs/Bars have a real problem, (apart from one). I think it's society as a whole. I mix with all ages, and although I don't smoke or take any drugs myself, it seems a high proportion do. A lot of 20 to 45 year olds go for a booze up and have a few snorts of coke as well. This could happen in any Pub or Bar. It also seems so many more are smoking wacky nowadays. You get a lot of youngsters that smoke it openly as they pass you in the street, and more people absolutely stink of it as you queue up in a convenience store or petrol station.

This Country has gone drug crazy I'm afraid. I read in an article that about 1 in 10 teenagers had taken or smoked a recreational drug in the Seventies, now it's up to 6 out of 10, and rising.
Just one of the reasons I am dreading my brilliantly behaved, beautiful young daughter, becoming a teenager.
Something needs to be done now, before things go the same way as America.

Operation Farmbike sounds like an Anti-Incest crackdown for our North Essex neighbours.

Courtesy of: Echo online

FOUR Southend venues face having their licences reviewed after police found evidence of cocaine use.

Traces of the Class A drug were found in a series of police searches of pubs and bars. It is believed customers had taken cocaine in toilet cubicles.

The four premises are the Vie Bar in Leigh Broadway, the Exchange in Southchurch Road, Southend, Clouseau’s bar in Hamlet Court Road, Westcliff, and the White Horse in Southchurch Road, Southend. They could be subject to possible licence changes and new conditions, or even closure.

Operation Farmbike was carried out on November 12. It involved a team of 40 police officers, using sniffer dogs.

At the White Horse, as reported in Monday’s Echo, police found evidence of drug taking and received reports of fights and public safety concerns.

Licensing officer Sgt Danny Barnes said: “The reviews are as a result of swabs using the Ion Track system, which detects traces of drugs.

“The readings were sufficient for us to believe certain premises are not adhering to their licence objectives.

“There were high readings of cocaine in toilets. It seems to be the drug of choice.

“Nobody wants to go into a toilet and have the cubicle shut and hear that nasal sound.”

He added: “We have had good co-operation with all the premises and the owners have already agreed to certain conditions.” Sgt Barnes said it was decided to call the reviews to “send a message that we will not tolerate drugs being taken in licensed premises in the borough”.

The bar and pub owners have said they are working with police to prevent drugs use on their premises.

The review of Clouseau’s bar will be on January 18.

The licences for Vie Bar, the Exchange and the White Horse will be reviewed by Southend Council on January 21.

Licensees: we’re taking preventative action

LICENSEES have defended their bars and pubs in the wake of the police crackdown.

The licences of four Southend pubs are to be reviewed this month after police drugs searches.

The management at the Exchange, in Southend, and Clouseau’s, in Westcliff, said changes were already being brought in to improve the situation. Andy Dickins, leaseholder of Clouseau’s said: “We were shocked and surprised to hear the results of the search.

“We have worked with the police and they have been reasonable with their requests.

“We are putting CCTV into areas outside the toilets and increasing observation by staff.”

A spokesman for the Ex-change, which is run by the East Anglia Pub Company, said: “We’ve had a meeting with the police and they are aware we have a very good reputation in the town.

“However, this kind of thing does take place.

“We have implemented measures that will discourage any use of substances on the premises in accordance with what the police have asked for.”

The spokesman said CCTV and regular checks were already in place but searches will be stepped up.

A worker at Vie Bar in Leigh said the owner was on holiday and unable to comment.

The Orchid Group, which owns the White Horse pub, said a new manager was appointed on January 4 to implement changes.

------

Hardly a shock, the White Horse has always had a bad reputation but i've never seen/heard it going on myself!

Seriously how is this hurting anybody who wants to use coke????

Age old SZ topic. Take it out the hands of criminals and legalise. But it never will be.

Although i dont really agree with the sentiments of legalising drug use.. the taxation created would go someway to fixing the budget deficit!!

Considering Scott has posted on here that it has almost ruined his life, I find the above comment quite startling..

But what actually ruined his life? The drugs, the money, the crime? My feeling is that decriminalisation would have a positive effect on all of those (purer coke and better access to health services, less cost and no need to engage with the criminals), and that we wouldn't just suddenly see a massive increase in people doing coke.

Considering Scott has posted on here that it has almost ruined his life, I find the above comment quite startling..

Well Scott made the original comment and I hope he's beaten his demons. The fact it is illegal doesn't stop anyone taking drugs. The "war" on drugs is an unwinnable one. Alcohol and tobacco kill far more people but it's legal. What's the difference?

Fair points. However, as it stands, it's a class A drug. What about other drugs? Are you saying all drugs should be legalised? Although not Cocaine, it was one albeit dodgy ecstacy (also class A) tablet that killed Leah Betts. How many people die from their first pint, or their first fag?

Isn't that the point? Criminalising it doesn't stop it. It makes it more dangerous and harder to seek help.

Fair points. However, as it stands, it's a class A drug. What about other drugs? Are you saying all drugs should be legalised? Although not Cocaine, it was one albeit dodgy ecstacy (also class A) tablet that killed Leah Betts. How many people die from their first pint, or their first fag?

Again, criminalising ecstacy didn't stop Leah Betts from dying.

If anything it contributed to it. You ask how many people die from their first pint - it'll be a lot less now than during prohibition.

It's a failed policy.

Bunny Colvin was right.

What-happens-in-Hamsterdam-stays-in-Hamsterdam.jpg

If you legalise it, and then tax it, people will buy still buy it illegally, ie contraband. It will still be cut with things like sugar, talcum powder etc. I doubt the problems would go away...

Back