• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Rob, you fail to mention how many times you badger me to post on SZ during the game to BarnaBlue about Corr's goal. You also fail mention that you pigged the last of the Hereford beef pies!

That said, thanks for the pint of the golden ale & good to see you after so long (Exeter?):loyalsupporter:!

Good posts Rob, I can't say I've done Hereford by train from New Street, but I have done Shrewsbury and that's a scenic journey also. There you are mate another chance to kake Mrs S to the bosom of the family while you bugger off and watch the mighty Shrimpers. :thumbsup:

Cheers, H - bit too close to my plans of 'going for a Burton' to get away with that one, mate. It did cross my mind, though. :smile:

Rob, you fail to mention how many times you badger me to post on SZ during the game to BarnaBlue about Corr's goal. You also fail mention that you pigged the last of the Hereford beef pies!

That said, thanks for the pint of the golden ale & good to see you after so long (Exeter?):loyalsupporter:!

:hilarious:Did I ?

Yes, Exeter - last time I saw Bazza too. Good to see you too, Rich - beer, football & pies. Now, there's an idea for that photo book. :thumbsup:

Yeah,I'm not crazy about "Sir Rusty's" politics but at least he's got a pair.:thumbsup:Who knows he might even win.:unsure:

I'd be delighted if he did. We could certainly do with 15 goals from someone in the front line and at his current rate, he's well on target. However, the great variables are injuries and/or suspensions and it appears that's what the other key members of your fan club are using as their alibi for shying from your challenge. :sherlock:

'Daze Like This' - Burton, 11.12.10

Snow in Penzance, snow in Southend. That was the week that the weather was when me and Mrs. S began our 'Rusty White Van Anniversary Tour.' Dear old Rusty had been in the van hospital before we set off due to faulty glow bolts which meant that the diesel couldn't warm up and therefore couldn't get started. This was somewhat akin to the games I had planned on my anniversary itinerary - the first being the snowballed home game against Macclesfield and then the abject performance at Burton. Setting off from wintry west Cornwall with new glow bolts glowing freely helped to give us a spark amidst all the gloom and doom weather warnings about travelling unless it was absolutely necessary. Well it was ... I'd paid for all the Travelodge Saver rooms eons ago and there was no money back on a no-show!

By the time I got to Burton just over a week after setting out, I was delighted to be contemplating some real live football again. The last game I'd seen had been a blood and thunder affair in Penzance which had left one player stretchered out on a table outside the bogs, with a St. John's crew giving him oxygen as he lay wrapped in silver foil. But at least that game had some passion in it. Perhaps my recent foray into non-League football may have been a premonition of things to come. I came away from the Pirelli Stadium fearing that 2011 could be even worse for us than 2010 has been. The only passion I saw on the pitch from our players was in the much-maligned Blair Sturrock - who was also able to control the ball and pass it to his less involved colleagues - when he came on for the anodyne QPR loanee German at the start of the second half. Our experience of loanees has been a pretty fruitless one over the last year and the ripe days of Dervite and Robinson feel like a bittersweet dream now.

Anyway, I have heard several people say that they don't come on the 'Zone so much these days because of the lingering depression hanging over us and the need not to add to the misery. So, less is more in this case and you know I really don't want to sound like an old curmudgeon even if I felt like one in the bar at half-time on Saturday. Yorkshire Blue's unique and succinct 'all is not lost' appraisal cheered me up though - "the next goal is crucial" - and when that next goal did go in for The Blues a few minutes later (in the same spot that Luke Prosser had scored his tragi-comic own goal which sent me straight to the bar), I did momentarily believe that we might just get back in it. The goal of the game ripped the bollies out of those hopes however and on reflection, I can't remember a game where we created so few chances. But what did I say about not adding to the misery? I prefer to dwell on the off-pitch pleasures of meeting Blues fans who I've read on here and heard about - Sir Napster dressed up as a Thunderbird and Sherif H as John Motson (Junior), to name but two legends - and of Burton's fine beers. On this note, my 'Player Of The Day' has to be The Oak Cottage's deceptively potent 'Halcyon Daze,' which sent me away from 'Beertown' with a spring in my face, a smile on my step and a huge hole where my memory once was.

Snow in Penzance, snow in Southend. That was the week that the weather was when me and Mrs. S began our 'Rusty White Van Anniversary Tour.' Dear old Rusty had been in the van hospital before we set off due to faulty glow bolts which meant that the diesel couldn't warm up and therefore couldn't get started. This was somewhat akin to the games I had planned on my anniversary itinerary - the first being the snowballed home game against Macclesfield and then the abject performance at Burton. Setting off from wintry west Cornwall with new glow bolts glowing freely helped to give us a spark amidst all the gloom and doom weather warnings about travelling unless it was absolutely necessary. Well it was ... I'd paid for all the Travelodge Saver rooms eons ago and there was no money back on a no-show!

By the time I got to Burton just over a week after setting out, I was delighted to be contemplating some real live football again. The last game I'd seen had been a blood and thunder affair in Penzance which had left one player stretchered out on a table outside the bogs, with a St. John's crew giving him oxygen as he lay wrapped in silver foil. But at least that game had some passion in it. Perhaps my recent foray into non-League football may have been a premonition of things to come. I came away from the Pirelli Stadium fearing that 2011 could be even worse for us than 2010 has been. The only passion I saw on the pitch from our players was in the much-maligned Blair Sturrock - who was also able to control the ball and pass it to his less involved colleagues - when he came on for the anodyne QPR loanee German at the start of the second half. Our experience of loanees has been a pretty fruitless one over the last year and the ripe days of Dervite and Robinson feel like a bittersweet dream now.

Anyway, I have heard several people say that they don't come on the 'Zone so much these days because of the lingering depression hanging over us and the need not to add to the misery. So, less is more in this case and you know I really don't want to sound like an old curmudgeon even if I felt like one in the bar at half-time on Saturday. Yorkshire Blue's unique and succinct 'all is not lost' appraisal cheered me up though - "the next goal is crucial" - and when that next goal did go in for The Blues a few minutes later (in the same spot that Luke Prosser had scored his tragi-comic own goal which sent me straight to the bar), I did momentarily believe that we might just get back in it. The goal of the game ripped the bollies out of those hopes however and on reflection, I can't remember a game where we created so few chances. But what did I say about not adding to the misery? I prefer to dwell on the off-pitch pleasures of meeting Blues fans who I've read on here and heard about - Sir Napster dressed up as a Thunderbird and Sherif H as John Motson (Junior), to name but two legends - and of Burton's fine beers. On this note, my 'Player Of The Day' has to be The Oak Cottage's deceptively potent 'Halcyon Daze,' which sent me away from 'Beertown' with a spring in my face, a smile on my step and a huge hole where my memory once was.

You should be working for Camera's Real Ale Guide.:winking:

'Southend Jedi, Southend Jedi, hello, hello!' (Torquay, 19.02.11)

This was by far the easiest away trip for your Cornish correspondent and it happily coincided with the opportunity to treat Mrs S to a belated Valentine's treat - a week-end on The English Riviera. I thought she was going to come along to the game, but having espied countless charity shops on the way into town the night before, she decided to trade her admission money for an afternoon's Big Society shopping instead. Richie C had also crossed the Tamar for this one and we were quaffing away before the game in Torquay's oldest pub, 'The Hole In The Wall,' when none other than the Zone's sharpest poster, Yorkshire Blue, dropped in for a pre-match too. We all finished our little session with a pint of 'Devon Dumpling,' a cheeky little number which had me all loved up and ready to embrace the sunny world outside.

There was a cheerful atmosphere on the away terrace and it was great to see that there was a good presence from our fans for possibly the furthest trip of the season for most of them. Blair Sturrock seemed to enjoy their appreciation - I caught a little smirk from him when they sang 'Southend Jedi, Southend Jedi, hello, hello' when he was in the Torquay goalmouth for a corner in front of us. Before then, the first half had seen us looking quite assured. Both teams had come into this game on good runs and were only separated by goal difference as they chased the play-off pack. This was certainly not something I'd envisaged following my last road show up at Burton - the worst performance I'd seen since Gillingham away last season. This was the first time I'd seen Kane Ferdinand play and all the plaudits I've read about him on here look bang-on. I've not seen such good reading of a game from someone so young since Spencer Prior emerged from the youths back in 1988.

The second-half continued well for us until play was held up by an injury to Anthony Grant. Although I am always pleased to see Lee Sawyer enter the fray, it was unsettling to see Granty stretchered off and the game slowly turned Torquay's way with about twenty minutes to go. There had been few clear-cut opportunities for either side but Billy Kee couldn't have believed his luck to find the door to our goal unlocked after Zabroskie had somehow conspired to cross from an unlikely position, having been shepherded wide by Coughlan. However, the heads didn't go down like they would have done a year ago and our equaliser came from a sweet little move involving Sawyer, Easton and Hall, who put over a teasing low cross for Barry Corr to score at the back door. Cue dancing delight on the away terrace, particularly as the under-rated Irishman now has fourteen goals to his name for this season, eleven of those in the League. Here's hoping that it won't be long before we can all celebrate with a conga to the tune of 'Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching BarnaBlue?' as the eagerly-awaited denouement to the '15 goals' bet approaches the business end of the season. But today saw us take a well-deserved point from a side who like to play a good passing game buttressed by a solid defence, typified by the sturdy Guy Branston at its heart.

And finally, this pleasing afternoon in the spring-like sunshine was made even more warming for me by the kindness of Watermill Wino who bestowed me with a certificate from his Travellers' Chest. It is a great honour to be recognised by fellow supporters who travel all over the country and I look forward to seeing many of you up at Lincoln next month for what also promises to be an emotional occasion. Come on you Blues and may the force be with you.

Last edited:
This was by far the easiest away trip for your Cornish correspondent and it happily coincided with the opportunity to treat Mrs S to a belated Valentine's treat - a week-end on The English Riviera. I thought she was going to come along to the game, but having espied countless charity shops on the way into town the night before, she decided to trade her admission money for an afternoon's Big Society shopping instead. Richie C had also crossed the Tamar for this one and we were quaffing away before the game in Torquay's oldest pub, 'The Hole In The Wall,' when none other than the Zone's sharpest poster, Yorkshire Blue, dropped in for a pre-match too. We all finished our little session with a pint of 'Devon Dumpling,' a cheeky little number which had me all loved up and ready to embrace the sunny world outside.

There was a cheerful atmosphere on the away terrace and it was great to see that there was a good presence from our fans for possibly the furthest trip of the season for most of them. Blair Sturrock seemed to enjoy their appreciation - I caught a little smirk from him when they sang 'Southend Jedi, Southend Jedi, hello, hello' when he was in the Torquay goalmouth for a corner in front of us. Before then, the first half had seen us looking quite assured. Both teams had come into this game on good runs and were only separated by goal difference as they chased the play-off pack. This was certainly not something I'd envisaged following my last road show up at Burton - the worst performance I'd seen since Gillingham away last season. This was the first time I'd seen Kane Ferdinand play and all the plaudits I've read about him on here look bang-on. I've not seen such good reading of a game from someone so young since Spencer Prior emerged from the youths back in 1988.

The second-half continued well for us until play was held up by an injury to Anthony Grant. Although I am always pleased to see Lee Sawyer enter the fray, it was unsettling to see Granty stretchered off and the game slowly turned Torquay's way with about twenty minutes to go. There had been few clear-cut opportunities for either side but Billy Kee couldn't have believed his luck to find the door to our goal unlocked after Zabroskie had somehow conspired to cross from an unlikely position, having been shepherded wide by Coughlan. However, the heads didn't go down like they would have done a year ago and our equaliser came from a sweet little move involving Sawyer, Easton and Hall, who put over a teasing low cross for Barry Corr to score at the back door. Cue dancing delight on the away terrace, particularly as the under-rated Irishman now has fourteen goals to his name for this season, eleven of those in the League. Here's hoping that it won't be long before we can all celebrate with a conga to the tune of 'Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching BarnaBlue?' as the eagerly-awaited denouement to the '15 goals' bet approaches the business end of the season. But today saw us take a well-deserved point from a side who like to play a good passing game buttressed by a solid defence, typified by the sturdy Guy Branston at its heart.

And finally, this pleasing afternoon in the spring-like sunshine was made even more warming for me by the kindness of Watermill Wino who bestowed me with a certificate from his Travellers' Chest. It is a great honour to be recognised by fellow supporters who travel all over the country and I look forward to seeing many of you up at Lincoln next month for what also promises to be an emotional occasion. Come on you Blues and may the force be with you.

You escaped from the second visit to the Hole in the Wall then:thumbsup:

Top notch post as per S,traffic stoped us from sharing a pint or 3 with you saturday and i kept looking for the sheepskin coat to no avail maybe Tillys love in at Lincoln can see us share some ale.UTB

Top notch post as per S,traffic stoped us from sharing a pint or 3 with you saturday and i kept looking for the sheepskin coat to no avail maybe Tillys love in at Lincoln can see us share some ale.UTB

I hope so, Swiss. Too hot for the Motty coat - I was the middle-aged lardy in the white 2006 away shirt running towards Bazza after the goal and gesticulating the number 'fourteen' back towards my compadres. :smile:

You escaped from the second visit to the Hole in the Wall then:thumbsup:

It was a close call --- but I escaped with just enough sobriety intact to remain charming and erudite over a belated Valentine's meal for two with Mrs S. :unsure:

"Tilson Is A Shrimper!" (Lincoln, 12.3.11)

It was a strange and emotional day to be a Southend fan. Seeing Steve Tilson and Paul Brush brought me back to the club emotionally when I saw them by the dug-out at Torquay in late 2003 as I felt that it was 'our' club again. Of course this was an illusion - it's Ron's club and don't we just know it? However, it still felt like a death in the family when Sir Steve got his gardener's gloves last July and this was an occasion I'd been looking forward to since he got the Imps job. I've never been that sentimental about our managers before, but Tilly is different. He's one of us and he had a special bond with the fans because he was on the terraces before he even played for the team and I don't recall any other Southend manager having that level of affinity with our club. The response of the travelling fans to our erstwhile management team was one of those tender moments that are very rare in the world of corporate football - I had one of those slightly embarrassed feelings of tear-jerkiness that I just managed to suppress as "Tilly'n'Brush" came over to us and applauded as they always used to do. Brushy put his arm around Tilly as they walked back across the pitch, so my guess is that it had a pretty moving effect on Sir Steve too.

As for the football, well I guess you all know that the conditions didn't lend themselves to a game that would be pleasing on the eye. A bumpy pitch and a stiff breeze put paid to fluent movements unfortunately. One player coped better than most though and that was someone whose name sounds like he could be a resident from Coronation Street - Ashley Grimes. His first touch was always good and his movement was swift and purposeful on at least two occasions. When he collected the ball out wide on the left for their winner, it was clear that he was going to cut inside and make room for a shot, but it was an impressive finish that left Evans reeling as it bounced in from the underside of the bar. The Lincoln players all showed their appreciation of Sir Steve by celebrating with him. It hurt a lot, but it could have been worse if Scott Spencer hadn't ballooned a sitter over the bar in added time.

As for our boys, well this was the game where I saw why many 'Zoners have made Chris Barker their player of the season. He looked commanding at the back and imperious when on the ball. It was his free-kick which led to some amusing Keystone Cops-style defending from the big Lincoln lugs in the centre of defence who gifted 'The Southend Jedi' his chance for the equaliser. Lee Sawyer also impressed at times - one mazy run from the halfway line looked for an enchanting moment as though it could result in the goal of the season. It was great while it lasted. A bit like the early days of Tilly and Brush.

"I fought The Corr and The Corr won!" (Hereford, 18.3.11)

This was my first visit to the Hall this season and it turned out to be a well-chosen one. It also provided a pleasing symmetry for my match stats this season - two wins, one draw and two defeats. Both wins were against Hereford and these games also proved pleasing for one Barry Corr. At the start of the season, Paul Sturrock spoke about the possibility of Bazza getting twenty goals this season, a figure that many could not foresee due to his limited returns and countervailing injury and disciplinary records. Bazza has scored three times against Hereford this season, his two goals tonight making it fifteen in the League and eighteen in all competitions. It seemed that he was in for a tough match early on though as he was getting muscled off the ball and could easily have been sent off for a late challenge more worthy of a yellow card than his earlier booking. However, the portly ref saw sense and managed to give our man the benefit of the doubt after a three-way consultation also involving 'Captain Marvel' Chris Barker.

The game seemed to turn our way halfway through the first half with the substitution of Johnny Herd, who was getting skinned by The Bulls' right-winger. Herd's only successful challenge saw him pull up with a leg injury and Paul Sturrock's move of Ryan Hall to left back to keep pace with Johnny's nemesis proved inspired, especially with the introduction of the sprightly sub Harry Crawford scoring a well-taken opener late in the half. At the start of the second-half, I developed that sense of anxiety that comes when your team is so much on top but only has one goal lead that could easily be wiped out by an opportunistic counter-attack, misplaced pass or the forcing of a corner against the run of play. Luckily, Glen Morris' alertness to a sharp Hereford header kept us in the driving seat on the hour and Lee Sawyer's growing confidence going forward resulted in Bazza's putting away the rebound from a save following the youngster's effort on goal. Corr popped up soon again with a sharp header of his own to put the result beyond doubt. This led to a conga at the back of the West Stand to the tune of "Are you watching, are you watching, are you watching BarnaBlue?" as the ShrimperZone dance troupe celebrated the denouement of that bet. Actually, that only happened in my head, but I did wait for it to go quiet in the West before putting that question into the air. I heard the Old Blue Lady chuckle from a few rows down from me, so it was worth it.

For what it's worth, I have a soft spot for Hereford following the invasion of the parkas at Edgar Street to celebrate Ronnie Radford's steamer in their FA Cup win over Newcastle back in '72 when they were still a non-League side. I've also enjoyed our recent trips there with a little help from barrels, pies and away wins (cf. 'Roll Out The Barrels' earlier in this thread) and it seems that The Bulls might still have a bit of work to do to ensure their League safety this year. It was a little harsh on them to lose by a four-goal margin but the great work by Hall, Crawford, Sawyer and Clohessy before the late late penalty did merit a goal. BarnaBlue must have been relieved that "the brooding magificence that is Barry Corr" (cf. Sir Rusty) had already been substituted and that a confident Crawford stepped up to score his brace with aplomb instead. A great night for Blues fans after our stuttering displays in recent weeks and who knows what will happen in the coming weeks with the hopeful return of Bilel?

Last edited:
A Tale Of Two Two-Nils

It's been six months since I last saw The Blues but at last I've been able to relinquish some of my public duties and finally incorporate some match action into another rusty white van tour across the country. Mrs S joined me for the Swindon game and apart from being mesmerised by Mohsni's hysterics, she also didn't see a lot to enjoy in the 2-0 reverse at The County Ground. The team looked disjointed, seemed to lack spirit and had precious little creativity. There was a good move early on involving a chest pass from Bilel of a neat flick inside from Hall, which Blair latched onto but put wide from outside the box. Blair also had a good overhead kick saved by their keeper, but there were few moments for Blues fans to cheer in this dismal game. Swindon dominated without looking that convincing either and we got caught out either side of half-time. The first goal was well taken but the second owed much to Granty's penchant for playing touch down every time he thinks he's been fouled. Swindon took the free-kick for his handball quickly and we were out of position for the second goal and out of the game immediately after.

For about an hour of the Plymouth home game the following week, I was cursing my luck at watching another poor match - though I couldn't blame Mrs S this time around as she was charity shop-shopping in Rochford - but it was enlivened soon after Neil Harris' arrival even though he was not directly responsible for the upswing in our fortunes. Michael Timlin's game surge into the box resulted in a penalty that may have looked more of one than it actually was. Liam Dickinson put it away well after having to wait awhile for the guilty Argyle defender to receive treatment. A melee soon after Carl Fletcher grabbed Timlin by the throat certainly added some spice to the occasion and Fletcher's sending off helped us to dominate Argyle's ten men - although they had several young lads out there. I was impressed by Clohessy and Hall's understanding on the right (and by Clohessy's spirited overlaps) and Gilbert's good late run and near-post glancing header for the second goal was a fitting reward for Ryan Hall's perfect delivery from a corner on that side.

My general impressions from these two games were that the defence is looking pretty good - with Phillips and Barker generally combining well. Gilbert is passing the ball much better now (rather than just lumping it forward) and Clohessy looks more and more like he could become a fine player. The midfield combination currently looks disjointed, particularly with Ferdinand seemingly out of place in a more forward role. Although Timlin's delivery was not always accurate, he looks like he can be a creative influence and is a useful addition for us in this loan spell - especially with Lee Sawyer's absence. Leonard struggled somewhat in both games, but we all know that he is not really a midfield player. As for the forwards, here's hoping that Neil Harris can remain fit and link up with big bad Bazza very soon as the other combinations on show did not look that convincing.

Talking of linking up, I was delighted to meet some SZ legends in The Spread after - albeit briefly - and many thanks for introducing yourselves, Sir Swiss and DBP. I had a very pleasant post-match pint or three with BarnaBlue too. What a rich and varied family the Zone is. Mrs S also did well in the charity shops, so it was a happy ending all round. Think I'll suggest the charity shops of Cheltenham to her when we're on the road again in December ...

Nice report Rob, and good to see you & Mrs S on Friday and you in the Spread on Saturday. Sorry we had to rush off but the Trust Quiz and our single point defeat lured us away.

Nice report Rob, and good to see you & Mrs S on Friday and you in the Spread on Saturday. Sorry we had to rush off but the Trust Quiz and our single point defeat lured us away.

Cheers H - good to see you too. I heard that was a dubious point deduction that cost Team Canvey a share of the spoils. :thumbdown:

Back