• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Smiffy

¡Viva la Aussielución! 🇦🇺 🦘 ⭐️
Staff member
Nice and early as there is a bit of a buzz around at last!

Just a quick reminder:

This match is part of The Sun TWO Adult tickets for £9.50 promotion that they ran in the summer. For those of you that kept the form, just fill it in, attach the four tokens and take it down to the ticket office. There are a few scoundrels on ebay selling the tokens and form for £4.99 if you haven't got them...

Anyway. Will Luggy stick with the same side?

Will Hall, Grant or Mohsni get a look in?

Shrewsbury's away form is up and down. 2 wins, 1 draw and a 2 defeats so far. Last time on the road they won 3-2 at Vale. Last Saturday they beat Torquay 2-0 at home. So 2 wins on the trot for them, sandwiched in between the very credible 3-1 Carling Cup reverse at The Emirates.

The Shrews current hot shot is Marvin Morgan with 7 goals (4 league)

Danger man: Tricky and quick winger Lionel Ainsworth.

Another tough one for Blues. But the fact is, IF we play like we did on Saturday, then we should have enough to beat the Shrews. That's the problem though isn't it. You just don't know what side will turn up.

Can we put in two good performances on the trot and extend our winning streak to four games?

Will they, like so many Southend sides previous, crumble under the pressure of the big game environment?

Let's just make sure we all do our bit in the stands. It's been pretty quiet so far, not helped by the quality of football or the attendances. But, it's time to liven up and sing your hearts out. Although the football has been average for the most part, we have managed to sneak into 3rd spot. Now let's give our boys the support they need and deserve. I want to be singing "We are top of the league" come 9:45pm. Even if it is only valid until 4:45pm on Saturday! We have a very good squad this year and with everyone pulling in the right direction, we will get out of this god awful division. So whether your a RH regular, one of the stay-aways. Get your backsides down the Hall this Friday and support the lads....

Friday night + Roots Hall + Atmosphere = top of the league!!

I urge everybody who has flags to bring them along..we gave out 10,000 over the last few years so there must be some of the Blue and White from Donny away and the Yellow and Blue ones from Chelsea away about....bring them and a few balloons if you can..lets try to create a big atmosphere.

donny.jpg

Come on Southend, it's time for the Roots Hall roar!

Last edited:
Good post.

I can understand the renewed optimism going into this match.

But please for heaven's sake lets not get too carried away specifically about going up.

We are renowned good starters but over the years tended to drift.

Take each match as it comes and see where that takes us.

Good post.

But please for heaven's sake lets not get too carried away specifically about going up.

Are we? In our back to back promotion seasons we had bad starts.

Good post.

I remember it being the opposite to be honest.

Always start poor/average and then pick up after xmas...

3 straight wins + no goals conceded for 313 mins + chance to go top + biggest crowd of the season = 2-0 defeat :winking:

It wouldn't surprise me as I said in my original post. We have historically failed more often than not, in the bigger games at RH. But this lot are made of stearner stuff I feel...

The good thing is Shrewsbury don't have a duck they need breaking.

So I'm a lot more confident than I was before the Plymuff game!

All I'm saying is we are on a good run but don't take anything for granted. It is easy to fall into that trap then the frustrated is excrutiating if we don't achieve what we set out to.

Michael Timlin says this in the Echo.

All I'm saying is we are on a good run but don't take anything for granted. It is easy to fall into that trap then the frustrated is excrutiating if we don't achieve what we set out to.

Michael Timlin says this in the Echo.
Its always nice to have a bit of optimism though, especially as it's so rare when you're a Southend fan!
However Shrewsbury are a tough team and I can see it being a hard contest, I'm hoping Kalala stays in the team because I think we'll need him to cover the back. Also hoping Grant doesn't start, he's too inconsistent for me and if he has a few games on the bench it might be a wake up call to tell him he needs to fight to get in the first XI.
I'm hoping 3-1, but my head says a draw is the best we can do.

Friday night at Roots Hall to send us top, that's what dreams are made of for me!

Can't wait.

I think we will smash them.

4 - 0 again.

Thanks very much, good night!

(If we do lose however, I can imagine the suicide notes being left all over the zone, so I shall make the most of some happy posters)

:smile:

No shame if we lose or draw. Shrews have a very good squad and a v experienced manager. They will be top 3 come may in my opinion.

Of course there'll be optimism and rightly so . we're on a good run. But your only as good as your last game.

Like what someone posted on saturday suddenly we're swimmimg in money. Please do me a favour. but this is what I mean by a good run causing over inflated optimism. its caused some on here to think everything is hunky dory and rosy.four wins from five is excellent and will hopefully breed sustained confidence as we go forward but lets keep our feet on the ground and focus on our next challenge that is Shrewsbury. Our run will ensure we go into that with positivity.

And please lets not bacome dillusional about the state of affairs off the pitch.

Our recent league record under floodlights at Roots Hall is phenomenal; we've won seven and drawn two of our last nine matches on a Tuesday or Friday. It would be amazing to keep that going and go top overnight, though we are due a defeat and Shrewsbury will be tough opponents. I predict 1-1.

I might add not being complacent or not taking things for granted doesn't necassarily mean one is too cautious.

Better to be level headed.

Sorry If I don't see everything through rose tinted glasses.

I'am in a good frame of mind for friday and hopefully we have another win under our belts come the final whistle.

Final posting today - in any team or set up it is could to have confidence and optimism. Some will get carried away with that but it is good to have one or more who is more level headed. someone who can see dodgy things happening or coming towards them so they can deal with the matter. those who get carried away will almost certainly not notice this for that reason. To get drift away too much in the euphoria is dangerous. Never look past the next match as it'll breed complacency for the game you have coming up.

Our recent league record under floodlights at Roots Hall is phenomenal; we've won seven and drawn two of our last nine matches on a Tuesday or Friday. It would be amazing to keep that going and go top overnight, though we are due a defeat and Shrewsbury will be tough opponents. I predict 1-1.

Incredible and with another 6 evening games to come at RH (after Shrewsbury) let's hope this record holds out for the rest of the season.

In my opinion I would keep the same 11 that begun on Saturday. Should we struggle or things appear stagnated then you can bring on Hall to try and spark things up with his attacking instincts.

Definetley one final example of what I'be saying - if we go 1-0 up with 10 minutes to go you'll see Sturrock and Coughlan urging their men to keep their heads, satay calm and to remain focused. You will not find them at that point telling the players well we've got the goal so we'll win. NO complaceny, NO getting carried away.

Of course there'll be optimism and rightly so . we're on a good run. But your only as good as your last game.
Like what someone posted on saturday suddenly we're swimmimg in money. Please do me a favour. but this is what I mean by a good run causing over inflated optimism. its caused some on here to think everything is hunky dory and rosy.four wins from five is excellent and will hopefully breed sustained confidence as we go forward but lets keep our feet on the ground and focus on our next challenge that is Shrewsbury. Our run will ensure we go into that with positivity.

And please lets not bacome dillusional about the state of affairs off the pitch.

That's great news.

This is a massive game for Southend and a win would see us in top place possibly for the whole week after as Morecambe are away at Torquay and would need to win to top us.
We would also have 22 points from 11 games, true promotion contenders after a quarter of the seasons games played.
Paul Sturrock is a genius and has the capability of leading us to a much higher level. A winning side will attract more fans and better chances of getting players in on loan to strengthen the team if needed in January.
It will not be easy as Shrewsbury will be under less pressure away from home in 3rd place but we can win and have the rest looking up to us for the rest of the season.:smile:

I urge everybody who has flags to bring them along..we gave out 10,000 over the last few years so there must be some of the Blue and White from Donny away and the Yellow and Blue ones for Chelsea away about....bring them and a few balloons if you can..lets try to create a big atmosphere.

:party:

It screams a defeat, Friday night, bigish crowd, can go top, most of us have been there. This time though imo i dont think so,confidence is up and Harris is of the mark, so im going for 2 0 win Harris with a double, i think.

Back