• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

This is a tough one

steveo

mine to stay the same please
A High Court judge has ruled that a brain-damaged woman should not be allowed to die, in what is being seen as a landmark case.
The woman, who is 52 and can be referred to only as M, is in what is known as a "minimally conscious state".
Her family argued she was in pain and that artificial feeding and hydration should be withdrawn.
The Official Solicitor and the health authority responsible for her care opposed the application.

She's been like it for over 8 years. Surely they should let her die.

I'm a firm believer that when someone is only being kept alive by machines, whether that's by feeding and/or keeping circulation going, and has been in that state for over 6 months, the family of that person should have the right to allow them to pass peacefully and with dignity.

Apparently if she had appointed a lifetime power of attorney the decision could be made for her but at 42 years old she probably didnt consider it.
Think I might look into it. I wouldnt want to be a drag on others with no hope of recovery.

Apparently if she had appointed a lifetime power of attorney the decision could be made for her but at 42 years old she probably didnt consider it.
Think I might look into it. I wouldnt want to be a drag on others with no hope of recovery.
The problem with that though is that it could be exploitable. Got any unscrupulous family members? :unsure:

The problem with that though is that it could be exploitable. Got any unscrupulous family members? :unsure:

Well if it was selected from Zoners I probably wouldnt pick Barna or Osy.:smile:

Probably my two sons as long as they were both in agreement, and hope their love for their old man wouldnt be influenced by anything they might inherit.

It's the debate about doing something or stopping doing something...

I'm against euthanasia as such because it begins a slippery slope where we try to evaluate a worth of a life.

However in this situation we are not doing something to deliberately end someone's life (like giving them an overdose), merely we are not giving the person the additional care needed.

Back