• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

shrimperjon

President
I turned up at Underhill last nite with a nervous gut feeling. Why, well because ive supported Blues for 32 years and we have turned up at the likes of Barnet before expecting to win and failed to deliver. In saying that i always felt that the three points would be ours. Much like last season Barnet pressed early and then ran out of ideas.

My feeling didnt change much when the team sheet was read out, 5 changes to a winning side i thought, Moshni left midfield, no harris, no JPK, what was PS thinking, you never change a winning side unless you are forced into it. Well, Morris and Prosser were unavailable so that accounted for two, the other three changes got us talking.

What transpired was the work of a master tactician. PS got it spot on, Hall pushed forward scored, Moshni played and dominated in an unfamiliar position, then popped up and poached a goal and finally off the bench came Mr Southend and scored the icing on the cake. What made this possible was the fact that we have an excellant, competitive league 2 squad, as built by PS. There are now weaknesses, even on saturday, Prosser who hadnt played for a few weeks replaced Barker and had a great game.

The reason PS can make these changes is because the players want to play for him, will play whereever asked and can adapt to the position. Many Managers say that they want 2 players for each position. Well we have a squad who can each play in many different positions and cover when required.

Barker - CB,LB
Prosser -CB, LB
Gilbert - LB,CB
Moshni - CB, LM,RM,CF
Hall - LM,RM,CF
Leonard - RB,RM,LM
Kane, Grant, JPK, Sawyer, Timlin - anywhere
JJ - RM,LM,CF

The list goes on. What i am trying to say is that PS looked at what wasnt right last season, got rid and bought in fresh and now we are seeing the results of 18 months hard work. This is why he was able to swap the team last night, why we won at Rotherham, Port Vale etc. He can change the team because he has the personnel to do so and trust them.

All done on a limited budget.

Well done Paul and long may it continue.

UTB

Yeah I agree with everything you have said there and what I also like about Sturrock is the fact that when he does get in occasionally wrong he comes out and says it and explains what he should have done instead. Fair play to him when he doesn't really need to and wouldn't be judged either way by us as fans.

I think he's earnt a lot of respect from us fans when it looked quite difficult at first but as said he's got a team who want to play for him and are clearly enjoying playing together.

At the moment our squad is top draw, we have options all other the park and playings coming in would be easy starters at other clubs so we are very lucky.

I turned up at Underhill last nite with a nervous gut feeling. Why, well because ive supported Blues for 32 years and we have turned up at the likes of Barnet before expecting to win and failed to deliver. In saying that i always felt that the three points would be ours. Much like last season Barnet pressed early and then ran out of ideas.

My feeling didnt change much when the team sheet was read out, 5 changes to a winning side i thought, Moshni left midfield, no harris, no JPK, what was PS thinking, you never change a winning side unless you are forced into it. Well, Morris and Prosser were unavailable so that accounted for two, the other three changes got us talking.

What transpired was the work of a master tactician. PS got it spot on, Hall pushed forward scored, Moshni played and dominated in an unfamiliar position, then popped up and poached a goal and finally off the bench came Mr Southend and scored the icing on the cake. What made this possible was the fact that we have an excellant, competitive league 2 squad, as built by PS. There are now weaknesses, even on saturday, Prosser who hadnt played for a few weeks replaced Barker and had a great game.

The reason PS can make these changes is because the players want to play for him, will play whereever asked and can adapt to the position. Many Managers say that they want 2 players for each position. Well we have a squad who can each play in many different positions and cover when required.

Barker - CB,LB
Prosser -CB, LB
Gilbert - LB,CB
Moshni - CB, LM,RM,CF
Hall - LM,RM,CF
Leonard - RB,RM,LM
Kane, Grant, JPK, Sawyer, Timlin - anywhere
JJ - RM,LM,CF

The list goes on. What i am trying to say is that PS looked at what wasnt right last season, got rid and bought in fresh and now we are seeing the results of 18 months hard work. This is why he was able to swap the team last night, why we won at Rotherham, Port Vale etc. He can change the team because he has the personnel to do so and trust them.

All done on a limited budget.

Well done Paul and long may it continue.

UTB

It's great right now - innit

Absolutely agree!! crewe fans bemoaning their loss against us accepted that few other sides in the division or even the one above could afford to leave such riches on the bench as Mohsni, Grant & Hall. this is why I think that if we can keep our run going, we will eventually overcome Crawley. they may have an impressive starting 11 but the jury is out on their strength in depth. A few injuries and/or suspensions or God forbid, a bigger club with more money entices some of their stars away, and we will be perfectly placed to take advantage. That said, all i am worried about is keeping a safety net between the fourth placed team......6 points at this stage is a tremendous gap and if we can stretch that further, we will be allowing ourselves the luxury of having a few mares and still maintaining our promotion place! UTB

Absolutely agree!! crewe fans bemoaning their loss against us accepted that few other sides in the division or even the one above could afford to leave such riches on the bench as Mohsni, Grant & Hall. this is why I think that if we can keep our run going, we will eventually overcome Crawley. they may have an impressive starting 11 but the jury is out on their strength in depth. A few injuries and/or suspensions or God forbid, a bigger club with more money entices some of their stars away, and we will be perfectly placed to take advantage. That said, all i am worried about is keeping a safety net between the fourth placed team......6 points at this stage is a tremendous gap and if we can stretch that further, we will be allowing ourselves the luxury of having a few mares and still maintaining our promotion place! UTB

I still believe we will overcome Crawley...despite everything I do believe there is a footballing god somewhere

nb - I don't mean Drewe Broughton

I for one was not sure last year and even this year at first with hoof-ball,but am willing to say I was wrong...Hats off to PS, he has built a fantastic squad of players and the results, although we can play better at times show him to be a very good manager and motivator of this team.

think the thing that makes all the difference in league two is strength in depth of our side and not alot of sides have this and it makes hell of a diference as league two side or squads are only small now coz of the wage cap, everything just keeps going right for us at the moment and we seem to be getting all the right decisions going for us, long may this continue.

I think we have also mixed up styles of play. Sometimes the long ball works- first goal last night was a free kick from Gilbert to Hall, one touch, bang. Sometimes the shorter stuff- third goal last night, lovely run from Clohessy, great ball in by Leonard and swept in by Harris. Luggy has managed 2 promotion winning teams in this division and I imagine both played the same way. Lets hope he is managing a third come May.

I for one was not sure last year and even this year at first with hoof-ball,but am willing to say I was wrong...Hats off to PS, he has built a fantastic squad of players and the results, although we can play better at times show him to be a very good manager and motivator of this team.

Yep, same here :blush:

Its not by accident that PS has got numerous clubs promoted from this division, and has a good record in the division above as well. He has a formula & sticks to it. Regardless of where your personal loyalties lie, you also have to give RM some credit for taking the tough decision of sacking a popular local hero (and making himself an even bigger villian in the process), and persuading PS out of semi-retirement to take over. I seriously doubt we'd even be playing league football now if he hadn't.

And while I'm here, how nice is it to see us standing toe to toe with moneybags Crawley, proving that you don't need deep pockets and a crooked manager to succeed. In the words of Kevin Keegan, I'd love it if we beat them..

Good original post and really hard to argus with.

Think last night playing a 4-5-1 of sorts worked well. Players all look hungry when they come on. Dont think we have the best players but they are possibly the best side.

Well done PS.

Paul Sturrock has turned us into the kind of team Iv'e always hated us playing against. Very difficult to break down. Big and horrible when needed to be. Direct, when needed to be, Not afraid to mix it if needed.

Alright it isn't always total football, but I would rather not have to play against us (if you get what i mean). I have a comfy feeling about us, even if we concede. I shouldn't say this but I really fancy us to be promoted, probably as champions.

Just need JJ to come to the fore to complete the squad I feel, as if Ryan Hall is injured/suspended/ goes in January, then we have replacement at hand, who if shows any of his previous form with other clubs will slot into his berth.

Just need JJ to come to the fore to complete the squad I feel, as if Ryan Hall is injured/suspended/ goes in January, then we have replacement at hand, who if shows any of his previous form with other clubs will slot into his berth.

what about having both on form in the same team? that would make for at least a couple more 3-0's :D

January will be interesting as I'm sure there will be interest in some of our players, and although its gone quiet off the field, we surley would find it hard to turn down decent offers.

Another plus point for PS is that he doesn't appear to get complacent after a win with only a half-decent performance. On those occasions he always says afterwards we should have played better and need to do so in future.

Back