• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cricko

Zone Owner⭐⭐
Staff member
I don't want this to sound like a thread to knock Luke Daniels but something about him is really beginning to annoy me.He is a fantastic shot stopper no doubt about that but why oh why can he not control the six yard box..He remains glued to his line whether it be from a corner, cross or free kick...For his height he should be collecting a lot more balls in the air but seems very reluctant to do anything but stand firm and make(on many occasions ) great saves when he could quite easily pick the ball out of the air.Morris is a lot smaller than him but is very good with that type of ball.Not coming out and collecting the ball certainly cost us one goal last night.

Thoughts?

Spot on. Dracular springs to mind. How the reliable Morris is not back in is another weird one, did he ever let us down and his kicking and dominance is far better than Daniels!

Wiggy, how can you criticise Daniels for staying on his line, when you are almost orgasmic over Flavs doing exactly the same thing?

I don't want this to sound like a thread to knock Luke Daniels but something about him is really beginning to annoy me.He is a fantastic shot stopper no doubt about that but why oh why can he not control the six yard box..He remains glued to his line whether it be from a corner, cross or free kick...For his height he should be collecting a lot more balls in the air but seems very reluctant to do anything but stand firm and make(on many occasions ) great saves when he could quite easily pick the ball out of the air.Morris is a lot smaller than him but is very good with that type of ball.Not coming out and collecting the ball certainly cost us one goal last night.

Thoughts?

How was at fault for either goal. The first was a stunning effort that no keeper in the world would have saved. I was right behind and when he hit it it looked like it was going over the bar and then moved and dipped at the last minute and the second goal was down to the team not closing down on the edge of the area and then not marking to allow the guy to head in. There is no way either goal is down to Daniels.

What i would say is however, that i would have no problem Daniels going back in January, he has done incredibly well for us but i really rate Morris and he certainly desereves to get back in.

How was at fault for either goal. The first was a stunning effort that no keeper in the world would have saved. I was right behind and when he hit it it looked like it was going over the bar and then moved and dipped at the last minute and the second goal was down to the team not closing down on the edge of the area and then not marking to allow the guy to head in. There is no way either goal is down to Daniels.

What i would say is however, that i would have no problem Daniels going back in January, he has done incredibly well for us but i really rate Morris and he certainly desereves to get back in.

The cross that went in just before that was to the back post and Luke was stuck on his line only a few feet away from it.

The first was clearly meant to be a cross, which caught Luke out, as Grantys cross-shot did in the first half to their keeper.
Second was just bad defending all round.
Lukes done well but as others have said, Glen will come back in once January is upon us.

Daniels is a young keeper and as we all know, keepers don't reach their peak until 30+. It takes years of practice and judgement to know when to come and when to to stay and I doubt he's learnt that yet.

I also don't think he was at fault for either goal last nioght. I haven't seen them on TV but the first was a terrific strike and the second was a header from a cross that, IIRC, was whipped in low and more or less glanced in. You wouldn't expect a keeper to come for that type of ball anyway.

He's not going to be perfect otherwise he wouldn't be the WBA 3rd choice.

Maybe a bit harsh to criticise him for last nights goals, but generally the command of the box is something that keepers develop over time.

Daniels is a young keeper and as we all know, keepers don't reach their peak until 30+. It takes years of practice and judgement to know when to come and when to to stay and I doubt he's learnt that yet.

I also don't think he was at fault for either goal last nioght. I haven't seen them on TV but the first was a terrific strike and the second was a header from a cross that, IIRC, was whipped in low and more or less glanced in. You wouldn't expect a keeper to come for that type of ball anyway.

He's not going to be perfect otherwise he wouldn't be the WBA 3rd choice.

Maybe a bit harsh to criticise him for last nights goals, but generally the command of the box is something that keepers develop over time.

As I said at the start I don't want this to turn into a knock Luke session as he is young and is a brilliant shot stopper, but surely one of the basic fundamentals of being a keeper at what ever age is to be able to take crosses in the air.

Daniels is for me a class act from start to finish. Didnt go last night but I have seen enough of him to think he is a class above this level. I like Morris too for what its worth but I would pick Luke first every time.

Thoughts?

Said exactly the same to my mate last night, doesnt seem to want to go near the 6 yard box let alone over it. I rate him as a keeper, just think he'd be alot better if he came out of his line a few times. Looking forward to morris being back in the side soon i hope.

Daniels is for me a class act from start to finish. Didnt go last night but I have seen enough of him to think he is a class above this level. I like Morris too for what its worth but I would pick Luke first every time.

Agree 100%, considering his age (and if we could sign him permanent) he could potentially be the best keeper we've had in many, many years.

He makes so many great saves, but has also been at fault for many goals. I was also behind the first goal last night and couldn't understand why he didn't dive for it. It went right in the middle of the goal. He is a good keeper, but I think we would benefit from Morris's less eye catching consistency at the moment

You are joking, he's made 5 or 6 perfect height push aways, one complete **** up, can't kick, can't catch. Better than Bentley yes, reliable and as good as Morris never!

I think Luke has been a good signing for us who after a perhaps an understandable difficult opening few minutes at Barnet when I was very concerned about him being our first choice keeper for a number of games. He has made a few errors and as has been mentioned could certainly dominate his box more but he has been part of a successful period for the club so I am appreciative of his efforts.

Having said that in my opinion if fully fit it is time to bring Morris back in to the team as he is our keeper and the one we will probably be relying on in the coming months.

Struggling to believe this thread if I'm honest. IMHO it only seemed to be last night in all honesty that I haven't seen Luke come off his line, he's been excellent for us during his time on loan here and as a keeper he is a cut above League Two. You don't win Player of the Year awards as a loan player at both L2 and L1 clubs if you're not a good keeper. Personally I'd like to keep him but it's highly unlikely so when the times comes I'll thank him for his efforts and wish him luck as he has certainly played his part in helping us to the top of the table.

P.S According to Chris Phillips their first scorer last night has admitted it was a misplaced cross. From my position directly behind it there was nothing Daniels could have done about it.

I think Daniels had a few very very good games at the start of his spell, and we all thought that he was the best thing since sliced bread (not that a slice of bread would stop many shots or come out for many crosses).

The last few games he has been ordinary, and made mistakes for the 1st goal at Daggers, and the goal against Oldham, but thrown in a few good saves into the mix as well.

In my opinion he is about the same standard as Morris, and would rather he went back in January and the loan used for a winger or forward.

I think Daniels had a few very very good games at the start of his spell, and we all thought that he was the best thing since sliced bread (not that a slice of bread would stop many shots or come out for many crosses).

The last few games he has been ordinary, and made mistakes for the 1st goal at Daggers, the goal against Oldham, but thrown in a few good saves into the mix as well.

In my opinion he is about the same as Morris, and would rather he went back in January and the load used for a winger or forward.

Surely you can't class that as a mistake, the shot took a horrible bounce right in front of him and he managed to parry it away from goal. If you're looking for anyone to blame how about the defence for the acres of space Wesolowski had to line up his shot when running onto Kuqi's pass?

Back