• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

DTS

The Business
Looking at the starting eleven yesterday I am starting to feel more confident since the signings that we can actually do it and get promoted.

So good to see Martin out there. Whilst it wasn't an amazing debut he showed a few touches of class and you can see the potential. Benyon and Dicko looked lively all game and the side for the first time for me looked totally balanced.

Very excited about the possibility of a few extra bodies but credit due already to PS and the club this looks to me like a solid side.

I would agree with that. Dickinson in particular seemed desperate to atone for Monday and particularly in the fast half, I thought he was one of the best players on the field. Benyon already seemed sharper than he was on Monday and the two of them could end up being our first choice strike partnership. Martin had a decent enough game, and there was one fantastic run in particular in the second half which had me and those around me in the West Stand up off our seats.

All in all, very promising and encouraging that we managed to keep a clean sheet as well. If Sturrock manages to get this couple of extra signings in (presumably we need to guarantee we can get rid of deadwood at the same time), I will be very excited indeed.

Agreed Dave, I think we looked much more balanced yesterday. Dicko is much happier that he has somebody who is running ahead of him rather than knocking it on to nobody...Benyon is so much quicker than Harris and looks to make those runs. Martin I think will settle in well after a few games.The fact we had two wingers also seemed to give Timlin and Kallalalala more space to operate in midfield and it did not look so congested as past line-ups.The difference with playing balls to feet rather than hit and hope was very much evident and we showed that we can play that way, well certainly in the first half...Overall I was very encouraged with the changes to style and to the team selection and PS has done a very good job recognising we needed to change our style of play to encompass different teams and to have more than one option.

Agreed Dave, Martin needs to get some games in and Benyon & Dickinson looked like they'll make a good pairing. And while Harris has been much maligned on here, he's a good bloke to have on the bench. The good thing about the team is that it isn't reliant on one player for goalscoring.

I came out of the game very disappointed. Even at HT and 2-0 up I wasn't overly impressed. I didn't feel I was watching a promotion favourite. We're lumping high balls up to a team setting out 5 in defence with almost zero going through the middle and two wide men. Even with a man advantage we continued to do this. At the same time both the two uP front won their fair share. I suppose the positive is that we did this with a strong bench and both Benyon and Martin will get better with games under their belts. I'm also beginning to think Barker is not 100%. Shrewdest purchases for me are Timlin (Obviously) and Phillips who just gets better and better.

Maybe it's me Tone, and that I have got so fed up watching HOOF all the time, that it was refreshing to see something different played at times.

all this hoofball talk is partly correct. Yes the defenders we have are 80% hoof, apart from Clohessy - of whom is a fantastic attacking out let at right back. But looking at the midfield, i think it is harsh to label Timlin, Hall and Martin (once he gets match fitness back) as hoofball players.

we are starting to have some attacking ability from midfield now, which does increase your chances of scoring goals, but sadly the hoofball mentality from the back, will remain until we win promotion this season. Saying that, if players at the back cant play football, I would rather they hoof and clear, than TRY to play to please some football purists out there.

if we want promotion, sadly you will have to put up with the limitations of some, whilst appreciating the ability of others, however, i for one think we are moving in the right direction !!

UTB's

I thought we had a nice balanced team yesterday. Considering two of the lads have only just joined, I thought we looked good. It's refreshing to know we have a manager that can see we were grinding out results, rather than dominating teams, and knew it wouldn't last. The back four is fine, but teams were starting to double up on Hall and stop our creativity. I get a feeling, if they do that now Martin could have a field day on the opposite flank.

The lads are looking pretty good for a team with 2 new faces and 4 changes in against Vale. Only question mark was the Pitch. Looked pretty shabby with divets and chunks all around, that being said didn't see alot of players slip as what's been seen of late?

Agreed Dave, I think we looked much more balanced yesterday. Dicko is much happier that he has somebody who is running ahead of him rather than knocking it on to nobody...Benyon is so much quicker than Harris and looks to make those runs. Martin I think will settle in well after a few games.The fact we had two wingers also seemed to give Timlin and Kallalalala more space to operate in midfield and it did not look so congested as past line-ups.The difference with playing balls to feet rather than hit and hope was very much evident and we showed that we can play that way, well certainly in the first half...Overall I was very encouraged with the changes to style and to the team selection and PS has done a very good job recognising we needed to change our style of play to encompass different teams and to have more than one option.

That's what happens when the manager reads opinions on the Zone.

The lads are looking pretty good for a team with 2 new faces and 4 changes in against Vale. Only question mark was the Pitch. Looked pretty shabby with divets and chunks all around, that being said didn't see alot of players slip as what's been seen of late?

Can't refund tickets and pay for a groundsman !

Got to say, I didn't see this massive change to the we played yesterday. Thought we mixed it up, much as we always do with balls hit up towards Dicko early and then we looked to play from there and some shorter passing to the wings when Hall & Martin were in space.
Our defenders, especially Phillips and Barker clear their lines early when under pressure and that's how it should be. When unopposed they usually either go direct or give it shorter to a midfielder.
In the second half, after they went down to ten men (and when we were 3-0 up), we played it across the back, kept the ball, fed the midfield and continuosly switched play - making the most of the extra man advantage. Aside from that, looked much the same tbh.

Got to say, I didn't see this massive change to the we played yesterday. Thought we mixed it up, much as we always do with balls hit up towards Dicko early and then we looked to play from there and some shorter passing to the wings when Hall & Martin were in space.
Our defenders, especially Phillips and Barker clear their lines early when under pressure and that's how it should be. When unopposed they usually either go direct or give it shorter to a midfielder.
In the second half, after they went down to ten men (and when we were 3-0 up), we played it across the back, kept the ball, fed the midfield and continuosly switched play - making the most of the extra man advantage. Aside from that, looked much the same tbh.

Totally agree. Don't think we played a different style at all (and for people to think ps would risk changing his methods because of a few fans on here is laughable and insulting to an experienced manager). The difference yesterday was Dicko was immense.

When Dicko plays well, the style works. Direct balls played up to him and he won most of them, held it up and generally was the focal point of the system and style of play Luggy employs. In Dicko playing so well, allowed us time to get midfielders forward and joining in and we payed our football from there (which is the point of this style).

When the fans moan about 'hoofball' is when Dicko isn't allowed to do what he did yesterday, or has a stinker. Then the ball keeps coming back and we don't get chance to play, which makes the style look very poor.

Agree with welly7, nothing much different to how we've been playing and was glad to see the system come off. Thought Dickinson was amazing yesterday.

I think there was a marginal change in style yesterday. We were still direct, but also played a little more on the deck. This will continue as Martin and Benyon settle into the team.

There is no way that you can change style overnight, what I am hoping that Luggy is doing is gradually bringing in a slightly less direct style in order for us to be able to compete in League One. (if we get there of course!)

The best teams are the ones that can mix it up and play both styles of football.

Yea agree with that. How we are playing now will not work in league one, certainly not to be a success anyways and we would need probably 4-5 new players added to the match day squad at least to make us competitive.

Totally agree. Don't think we played a different style at all (and for people to think ps would risk changing his methods because of a few fans on here is laughable and insulting to an experienced manager). The difference yesterday was Dicko was immense.

When Dicko plays well, the style works. Direct balls played up to him and he won most of them, held it up and generally was the focal point of the system and style of play Luggy employs. In Dicko playing so well, allowed us time to get midfielders forward and joining in and we payed our football from there (which is the point of this style).

When the fans moan about 'hoofball' is when Dicko isn't allowed to do what he did yesterday, or has a stinker. Then the ball keeps coming back and we don't get chance to play, which makes the style look very poor.

Agree with welly7, nothing much different to how we've been playing and was glad to see the system come off. Thought Dickinson was amazing yesterday.

When Micky Evans played well, Plymouth played well. No real difference?

I agree, Dicko despite what many think on this forum is a good League one asset. He is 100% committed and I wish people would give him a break. No he is not perfect but he gives it his all., I think him and Beynon will prove to be a good combination. Please remember we are well ahead of expectations, we are second placed with excellent goal difference just be pleased with that.
I very rarely comment on this site but the negativity expessed is really quite depressing. We are doing well and be pleased with it. The style of play is effective and producing results what else do you want?
Sturrock in my mind is an absolute legend, what he has achieved and done to date is nothing short of remarkable, support and congratulate it, we are very fotunate to have such a wise and wily manager.
Up the Blues.

Back