• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Have you ever touched the ball at a Southend game

• Total voters

DTS

The Business
Mine was about 1987. Think we had about 100 fans at Rotherham away. They had a long shot that went well wide. The ball cannoned into our end and I went to go and get it.

I threw the ball over the fence to our "goalkeeper" Eric Steele. He said "Thanks son" to me. For some reason I liked him at that time so this was a huge bonus.

Since then other memorable touches include when I headed the ball back from a fierce Stuart Thurgood shot up at Macclesfield away many moons and and when Dad diverted a wayward Lee Bradbury shot into my face (it was going perfectly into my arms until Dad touched it) during the Championship season.

Anyone else remember there first touch of the ball?

I have NEVER touched the ball in a game.
However, I once came close, I was ball boy against Wrexham (I think) we lost 2-0 I wanted to be sitting in my seat not on a **** plastic stool. The ball came over to me and I got up was fairly happy to touch it and throw it back, however an overly LARGE Steward 'pushed' me out the way and picked it up. Denying me of my only piece of in play action as a ball boy.

WORST. BALL. BOY. CAREER. EVER.

After that moment I knew my ball boying career was over, forever!

cant remember the 1st touch but used to stand on the old South Bank behind the goal and would end up loads of times when the ball had rolled down stairs passing up to the keeper. Also remember one ball boy catching the ball but toppling over the wall onto the terrace and it was a bit of a drop. Been a ball boy and remember keep placing the ball on corner spot for Anton Otulakowski a few times. Have had plenty of touches in games, last yr caught one as it was hurtling to my old girls face. Crewe away a few years ago was probably my last away game touch!

A bit off topic but as i cannot remember "my first" 'll just lob these into the pot

I played for Great Wakering Colts as a kid and one cold wet Wednesday night i skipped training cos i just couldn't be arsed to go .. it turned out it wasn't training but a ball boy stint at RH (only for a reserve game though) .. it was the only occasion my age group did it so i missed out altogether

I was at a pre season friendly at Basildon United sometime in the late 80s and i was sat behind the goal on a little mud bank, during the warm up i was drinking a cup of tea whilst reading the programme, i didn't notice a wayward shot coming that hit me flush on the chest causing me to tip red hot tea all over myself :sad: .. worse still players and fans alike were laughing hysterically at my misfortune

I remember many years ago , a ballboy at the old Southbank end, he was obviously a bit of a goal keeper as when one of the opposition hit a shot , which went wide, he rose and clutched it to his chest rather well.
Unfortunately he had underestimated the power and the shot threw him backwards, as he had jumped to get the ball his heels clipped the top of the wall and he flew backwards onto the terracing, It was one of those moments where you didn't know wether to laugh or wince....

Years ago when the ball went in the northbank during the warmup it was kept for a while and lobbed about a bit. On on occassion someone was trying to chuck it the length of the stand , so they gave it a good heave, it hit one of the roof girders a couple of yards into its flight , ricocheted downwards and straight into the side of my face, Once my mates had stopped laughing, they helped me find the remains of my glasses and stem the flow of blood from the cuts and the battered nose..

cant remember the 1st touch but used to stand on the old South Bank behind the goal and would end up loads of times when the ball had rolled down stairs passing up to the keeper. Also remember one ball boy catching the ball but toppling over the wall onto the terrace and it was a bit of a drop. Been a ball boy and remember keep placing the ball on corner spot for Anton Otulakowski a few times. Have had plenty of touches in games, last yr caught one as it was hurtling to my old girls face. Crewe away a few years ago was probably my last away game touch!

That'd be the one....

Wasn't during a game, but I was the lucky away mascot in that LDV game against Swindon Town (Swindow Yown according to the previous match day programme)

To jog peoples memory, the final score was 6-1 to Swindow

Just checked SUFCDB and I reckon the game was Stockport in 1986. Dad and his mates always stood in the North Bank and I used to like pootling about in the North West corner on my own. The ball got hoofed in to the stand and I was the only person anywhere near the ball.

I was so excited - I was seven at the time - that my eyes were watering and, thinking I'd be clever and punt the ball back from half way up the stand, my kick failed to make it as far as the pitch. I felt very humbled when I very carefully threw it back to the awaiting player at the second attempt.

Adding to FS i remember the days of the North Bank prematch "Sammy give us a ball, Sammy Sammy etc.." the ball was then hurled about with increasing velocity until someone got hurt which seemed to calm everyone down a touch, another favourite pastime was trying to smash the flourescent tubes HEALTH AND SAFETY !!!! :omg:

I was ball boy for Steve Tilson's testimonial. I thought I had a great spot, right behind the goal, I didn't get the ball once!

This pre season over at Canvey the ball was hoofed into the stand behind the goal. I headed it back into play.

I felt like my life was complete.

i was a mascot once, and happened to be the only person wearing a southend shirt to put the ball in the net during a 0-0 draw against torquay :D

Mine was about 1987. Think we had about 100 fans at Rotherham away. They had a long shot that went well wide. The ball cannoned into our end and I went to go and get it.

I threw the ball over the fence to our "goalkeeper" Eric Steele. He said "Thanks son" to me. For some reason I liked him at that time so this was a huge bonus.

Since then other memorable touches include when I headed the ball back from a fierce Stuart Thurgood shot up at Macclesfield away many moons and and when Dad diverted a wayward Lee Bradbury shot into my face (it was going perfectly into my arms until Dad touched it) during the Championship season.

Anyone else remember there first touch of the ball?

Not quite true my old son, the incident happenned at Chesterfield on 24th October 1987, not at Rotherham the following March. This was in fact only your second Southend match so it took you about a couple of hours watching before you wanted to be involved, about sums you up really!

Dad

Actually thinking about this it is heavily in favour of those that sit in the South Upper. Lets face it over the years our forwards have sent far more shots into the Upper than anywhere near the goal, and those sitting at the far ends of the stands are far more likely to get a touch than those directly behind the goal.

DoDtS

The ball from Izale McLeod's penalty this season landed in my garden. Does that count?

Threw the ball back at GWR pre-season friendly. Haven't touched the ball at RH though.

Didn't Don once head the ball straight back from a shot?!

Caught the ball at The Stoop last season. Seeing as I've never played rugby, I was quite chuffed that I didn't spill it.

A week or two later at the same venue a kick for touch smashed in to the pram, which rather upset my boy, who was sleeping inside it at the time. Bad parent.

Back