• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Benfleet A1

Hector Of The House
According to those who know these things, we are facing a drought that could rival 1976. Here's an solution, who agrees or disagrees, like I don't already know.

We currently have an energy shortage, a water shortage, and a need to reduce our carbon footprint right? So shut the hippies up and build a load of nuclear power stations. These work by using nuclear power to heat water to steam, which then turns turbines, producing electricity. So use saltwater and instead of letting the steam escape out of those massive cooling towers, collect it, condense it and ta da! Fresh drinking water, though you will have to clean the salt out of the bottom of the tower every now and then. Also a lower carbon footprint and more 'leccy. Three birds, one stone :)

I didn't dream up the above but tell me the all knowing zone, is it a goer or a non starter. Cost is not an answer as that can be recouped over a period, I want serious for and against arguements which means plain English from Osy and a open answer from Barna not an hidden question or agenda.

On your marks, get set, GO!!

Ok, anyone else who can come up with a better arguement that hasn't been gleened from watching The Simpsons is welcome to take part.

wont make enough water to make a dent in hanningfield res. and you will have to ship it from the power stations to the population, who i assume as as far away as possible.. a better bet is to bottle it, any decent ad firm can get the general populance onside re the health giving benefits of this product.. i mean look at eggs, they have been good and bad for you more times than dickenson has been for us ..

According to those who know these things, we are facing a drought that could rival 1976. Here's an solution, who agrees or disagrees, like I don't already know.

We currently have an energy shortage, a water shortage, and a need to reduce our carbon footprint right? So shut the hippies up and build a load of nuclear power stations. These work by using nuclear power to heat water to steam, which then turns turbines, producing electricity. So use saltwater and instead of letting the steam escape out of those massive cooling towers, collect it, condense it and ta da! Fresh drinking water, though you will have to clean the salt out of the bottom of the tower every now and then. Also a lower carbon footprint and more 'leccy. Three birds, one stone :)

I didn't dream up the above but tell me the all knowing zone, is it a goer or a non starter. Cost is not an answer as that can be recouped over a period, I want serious for and against arguements which means plain English from Osy and a open answer from Barna not an hidden question or agenda.

Your idea rather reminds me of "Fat Boy" the dry ice heating/ventillation sytem built by the Harrison Ford character in the film version of Paul Theroux's Mosquito Coast.Of course it exploded when some unfriendly local terrorists came to pay a visit.FWIW,I've long been of the opinion that we(meaning everyone in Europe)will be increasingly reliant on nuclear power fuel stations in the future.

After listing to an interview with that Brain Cox fellow we're tying up more with the French regarding Nuclear power anyway and fission is that far away (he also mentions that at present technology levels we can actually reduce half life levels massively on dangerous nuclear materials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I12pQE-MzQA

T
he issue with water is just that its kind of finite , the process of of on mass desalination when then start to affect the sees and our waste water would not replace what we had taken out , so we then start eventually affect the oceans themselves .

Just got to use less .

After listing to an interview with that Brain Cox fellow we're tying up more with the French regarding Nuclear power anyway and fission is that far away (he also mentions that at present technology levels we can actually reduce half life levels massively on dangerous nuclear materials http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I12pQE-MzQA

T
he issue with water is just that its kind of finite , the process of of on mass desalination when then start to affect the sees and our waste water would not replace what we had taken out , so we then start eventually affect the oceans themselves .

Just got to use less .

Brian Cox is a mug punter.

I seem to recall from the Japanese tsunami that there's an issue using saltwater because it corrodes the infrastructure.

I think you should also be kinder to the hippies, because the problem would be that much worse if they actually washed.

My solution would be to ban golf.

Back