• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Hogg

President
Firstly, please appreciate I expect a barrage coming my way. However, I have to ask.

As I have been mostly living abroad in the recent past (am back home in Southend wheeheeyy) I have followed The Shrimpers from afar. I see results, read match reports and new items and keep up with the gossip on sites like this and through friends.

Southend United have been in the promotion places for the majority of the season. The manager wanted to strengthen the squad in the January window..and indeed did. The new stadium has been rubber-stamped by all the required bodies and will presumably go ahead. The club was under threat from The VAT man ..but to date no judgement has been proved - I think I am correct in stating.
The Chairman, allegedly (I have no idea where this rumour/information came from), was upset with a shocking performance by the team - and told them. Allegedly.
The team has been to Cardiff three times, two promotions, knocked Man Utd out of the League Cup, drew at Chelsea, got to the play-offs against Donny Rovers (FANTASTIC support people)..whilst also suffering two relegations under Tilly. Our support base is larger than when I went home and away.

So..a summary.

We have (to date) been where we need to be in the league this season.

The coffers were opened (to the suprise of almost everyone) to strengthen the squad for the promotion run-in.

The VAT matter has (so far) been, at least for now, sorted.

The Chairman (wrongly perhaps) shows the passion of a supporter at Aldershot set amidst a woeful performance.

The supporters have had the most exciting (err exciting not the word for this seasons tactics perhaps) time in the clubs' history under RM.

The current board have achieved what previous boards could not achieve and get a shiny new stadium agreed under the most difficult of circumstances invoving two district councils and one county council. The fact that work has been delayed is pretty much a mirror of every business, everywhere in the world in these difficult times..projects on hold.

So...PLEASE..why on earth does Ron Martin get so vilified by virtually every "loud" supporter?? Why?

Because he may come across as arrogant??? So what?? Who cares? If we lifted the League 1 title and RM smirked in a "told you so" way..who cares???????????????????????????????

Because a Chairman has an argument with the VAT man? What business is that of yours? Mine? Or anybody? The media excepted! Unless of course the money is proved to be owed. What major business does100% agree figures with the tax man?

Because Southend United continually make PR gaffs? Well, club representatives have made the most incredible public relations howlers for many years. Remember "If you don't like it - go and watch West Ham"???, "The new stadium will pay for itself so it will not matter if any supporters turn up"??? "I think Southend United should build a stadium in Basildon"?? "I don't like the Shrimp..but I like a lion"?????

Because the football club has been caught up in a world-wide economic meltdown? Errr to date, no points deducted here, no receiver, no administration. Unlike, sadly, other clubs!

Or?? The current style of play? Which, as people have criticised RM saying anything to the dressing room, is not the work of Mr Martin.

Please, please, please, explain why Mr Martin has upset so many???

I am not taking sides...I just cannot see what the incredible anti-RM voice is actually moaning about. So please tell me!

As always, C'MON YOU SHRIMPERS!!! x

Firstly, please appreciate I expect a barrage coming my way. However, I have to ask.

As I have been mostly living abroad in the recent past (am back home in Southend wheeheeyy) I have followed The Shrimpers from afar. I see results, read match reports and new items and keep up with the gossip on sites like this and through friends.

Southend United have been in the promotion places for the majority of the season. The manager wanted to strengthen the squad in the January window..and indeed did. The new stadium has been rubber-stamped by all the required bodies and will presumably go ahead. The club was under threat from The VAT man ..but to date no judgement has been proved - I think I am correct in stating.
The Chairman, allegedly (I have no idea where this rumour/information came from), was upset with a shocking performance by the team - and told them. Allegedly.
The team has been to Cardiff three times, two promotions, knocked Man Utd out of the League Cup, drew at Chelsea, got to the play-offs against Donny Rovers (FANTASTIC support people)..whilst also suffering two relegations under Tilly. Our support base is larger than when I went home and away.

So..a summary.

The coffers were opened (to the suprise of almost everyone) to strengthen the squad for the promotion run-in.

The Chairman (wrongly perhaps) shows the passion of a supporter at Aldershot set amidst a woeful performance.

The supporters have had the most exciting (err exciting not the word for this seasons tactics perhaps) time in the clubs' history under RM.

The current board have achieved what previous boards could not achieve and get a shiny new stadium agreed under the most difficult of circumstances invoving two district councils and one county council. The fact that work has been delayed is pretty much a mirror of every business, everywhere in the world in these difficult times..projects on hold.

So...PLEASE..why on earth does Ron Martin get so vilified by virtually every "loud" supporter?? Why?

Because he may come across as arrogant??? So what?? Who cares? If we lifted the League 1 title and RM smirked in a "told you so" way..who cares???????????????????????????????

Because a Chairman has an argument with the VAT man? What business is that of yours? Mine? Or anybody? The media excepted! Unless of course the money is proved to be owed. What major business does100% agree figures with the tax man?

Because Southend United continually make PR gaffs? Well, club representatives have made the most incredible public relations howlers for many years. Remember "If you don't like it - go and watch West Ham"???, "The new stadium will pay for itself so it will not matter if any supporters turn up"??? "I think Southend United should build a stadium in Basildon"?? "I don't like the Shrimp..but I like a lion"?????

Because the football club has been caught up in a world-wide economic meltdown? Errr to date, no points deducted here, no receiver, no administration. Unlike, sadly, other clubs!

Or?? The current style of play? Which, as people have criticised RM saying anything to the dressing room, is not the work of Mr Martin.

I am not taking sides...I just cannot see what the incredible anti-RM voice is actually moaning about. So please tell me!

Wow great post I have to agree entirely on this one but I have a feeling some other's may not :unsure:

RM has admitted making mistakes. The problem is a football club is like a daughter to the fans. Nobody will be good enough for her. It is alleged RM has mislead people. Who hasn't? All I know is the club is still here, despite world recession and inspite of the many that wish RM gone.

Whilst I do agree with the above, I also have it on good authority that the players have held discussions with the possilbility of late payment of wages in the near future. If this is the case I strongly believe this will all but stop us from going up. For those reasons I believe RM to be a complete waste of space !!!

Great post mate, good to see the voice of reason can still be found on this forum.

I was merely asking an honest question.
So far, not one response supplying a single fact that should concern me about Ron Martin running my football club.

As yet.........

Well, let's see...

1) Non-payment of wages to players. On a few occasions
2) Can't decide when to be transparent with fans and when not to be. Decides to write a blog, then not.
3) His handling of Tilly and Brush's dismissal - careless and owed Brush money for a while, I;m led to believe
4) His handling of the FF process has been a bit cackhanded. What is the actual latest?
5) His selling of the ground to Roots Hall Ltd. But that's OK, because they don't charge us rent. But they could.
6) His handling of the Tara Brady's departure. Bad PR advice from someone or Ron being the big-I-am?
7) His handling of the marketing and commercial side - maybe that was Tara's remit, but before him, no budget, and many many people moving onto pastures new.
8) The non-payment to HMRC. Yes HMRC can be a bit forward in asking for money, and yes we paid eventually. But at times we were right against it. No-one knew what was going on. The Trust had bucket collections. Did Ron thank anyone after for donating, or even apologise?

Those are the short bad points.

He might have put in £100k a month. Because he knows he holds all the cards. We succeed, he succeeds. The new ground could mean he's out.

But there's no alternative. Not really.

Better the Devil you know.

So..a summary.

You are Ron Martin and I claim my £5

Kevin it's a fair question.

From what I can see he acquired the club which had a £4 million overdraft, but had the assets of Roots Hall and the training ground which were worth at least double that at the time.

Instead of just taking over the overdraft he wiped/reduced the overdraft and moved the assets out of the club, and charged rent of around £450,000 per annum, although this has never been collected.

We now have a club with an overdraft of around £10 million with no assets and still technically liable for the rent.

The great news is that we can look forward to moving to a 3 sided stadium that the club won't own, still have the same issues over the rent and the overdraft is in Ron's hand so it could be wiped out or it could remain as now or be higher.

While he has done well out of the club in the proposed move to the new stadium the club will still be in deep trouble.

I don't know about anyone else. But this is all starting to feel a little like groundhog day.

Are we starting to re-visit the 2009/10 era again.

I was merely asking an honest question.
So far, not one response supplying a single fact that should concern me about Ron Martin running my football club.

As yet.........

If only it was 'our' club and as Ron Martin has pointed out several times in the past it is 'his' club. O.K. it's not a major concern as it's actually true but if he can say that to fans then you can just imagine him dealing with his board and staff members.

Well, let's see...

1) Non-payment of wages to players. On a few occasions
2) Can't decide when to be transparent with fans and when not to be. Decides to write a blog, then not.
3) His handling of Tilly and Brush's dismissal - careless and owed Brush money for a while, I;m led to believe
4) His handling of the FF process has been a bit cackhanded. What is the actual latest?
5) His selling of the ground to Roots Hall Ltd. But that's OK, because they don't charge us rent. But they could.
6) His handling of the Tara Brady's departure. Bad PR advice from someone or Ron being the big-I-am?
7) His handling of the marketing and commercial side - maybe that was Tara's remit, but before him, no budget, and many many people moving onto pastures new.
8) The non-payment to HMRC. Yes HMRC can be a bit forward in asking for money, and yes we paid eventually. But at times we were right against it. No-one knew what was going on. The Trust had bucket collections. Did Ron thank anyone after for donating, or even apologise?

Those are the short bad points.

He might have put in £100k a month. Because he knows he holds all the cards. We succeed, he succeeds. The new ground could mean he's out.

But there's no alternative. Not really.

Better the Devil you know.

Hey Napster, thank you for some food for thought.

Non-payment of wages should of course be avoided as it is highly likely to have a distinct effect on performance. I do not know how this situation came about but is not great management ..I agree. However, these are tough times and clubs across the land are in turmoil. If RM really pays £100,000 a month into the kitty, the management of the players wages was poor but if your Chairman is trying to help?? What more can you ask??

As for a blog. Not interested. As long as my club is surviving and the manager is given assistance, it matters not to me.

I was not happy with the way Tilly & Brush appeared to be dismissed, especially after the magic moments they brought about. Payment to Tilly is another matter and should only be the concern of the club and Mr Tilson. Nothing to do with you or me.

Disagree re: FF. We got it through. It took years. Mr Jobson also tried and tried to no avail. Until we are ready to proceed..the handling of the project is not my business. I do agree the PR should be hugely improved.

Am guessing the selling of the ground to Roots Hall Ltd was the only way to proceed. I do not know any of the facts and so cannot offer an opinion. I wonder though, how many who also have litle knowledge..say much??

Tara Brady leaving is between Tara Brady and his employer. Got nothing to do with anyone else whatsoever.

Marketing & Commercial side of things at Southend United has long been a huge frustration for me. I am a PR/Sales and Marketing "expert" and can see so much potential going to waste. Arrgghhhhhh! That said, TB was tasked with improving the situation according to the club. Did not happen..again!

HMRC? I do not know enough facts. I can say a huge thank you to The Trust for help with that matter. A purely personal thank you. If the club made no acknowledgement of the magnificent goodwill...then I revert to my PR "aaarrgghhhhhhh".

Thanks for your help in my understanding of the situation Mr/Mrs or Ms Napster. Anyone ever told you that you pose a striking resembelance to one, Michael McDonald???

If only it was 'our' club and as Ron Martin has pointed out several times in the past it is 'his' club. O.K. it's not a major concern as it's actually true but if he can say that to fans then you can just imagine him dealing with his board and staff members.

Up The Shrimpers,
Make no mistake, Southend United is MY club, it is YOUR club and yes it is Mr Matins' club too. Southend United is far more than just a number of shares. Thus this site and the rants, the passion, the moaning, the frustration...and just sometimes, those incredible moments of sublime happiness!!

Can someone update me to what Ron has done now as I missed last nights game. thanks

As they were about to score their 3rd goal he rushed onto the pitch and made a last ditch sliding tackle to deny their striker. He now has an even bigger ego than before

Kevin it's a fair question.

From what I can see he acquired the club which had a £4 million overdraft, but had the assets of Roots Hall and the training ground which were worth at least double that at the time.

Instead of just taking over the overdraft he wiped/reduced the overdraft and moved the assets out of the club, and charged rent of around £450,000 per annum, although this has never been collected.

We now have a club with an overdraft of around £10 million with no assets and still technically liable for the rent.

The great news is that we can look forward to moving to a 3 sided stadium that the club won't own, still have the same issues over the rent and the overdraft is in Ron's hand so it could be wiped out or it could remain as now or be higher.

While he has done well out of the club in the proposed move to the new stadium the club will still be in deep trouble.

Thank you Wise Head, a little more meat on the bone for me to chew on.

I can see your logic and do not know the facts or figures to argue or agree with you.

I would however say, that the £4m the club was worth with the stadium and training ground could only really be realised by selling both and have nowhere to play and prepare - or sell both and build a new stadium. The other option would be a receiver selling the £4m worth of assets to pay creditors - a thought too awful to contemplate.

I hear your view and wish I could have a clearewr opinion. Maybe I will go to "the horses mouth" and ask myself.

Cheers for your concise input oh Wise Head!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back