• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

McNasty

Please read article from the Echo web-site, especially the bold bit

News By Stephen Hackwell

A LEADING Tory’s claims that single mothers, alcoholics and drug addicts are damaging Southend High Street have been branded “unacceptable” by fellow Conservatives.

Anna Waite said big chain shops were shunning the High Street because nearby residents did not have enough money to spend.

Nancy Howard, chairman of the party association in Southend West, said: “While wanting to respect all individuals’ views, I and so many of my colleagues find it unacceptable to associate poor High Street presentation and performance with single mothers. We do not wish to be associated with such comments.”

She added: “The economic downturn is serious and Southend traders are doing a brilliant job coping with it.”

Mark Flewitt, a member of the Tory leadership at Southend Council, said: “What one person says is certainly not representative of many of my colleagues’ views.

“Anna is entitled to her view but this was deeply offensive to some and certainly against my political sensitivities.”

Mrs Waite, who made her comments in the context of a blog post about the future of the High Street, argued big brand shops would be deterred from Southend because of its social make-up.

She said: “ Single mums on bedsits, drug and alcohol addicts, the homesless and those on multiple benefits do not have the cash to spend in shops.”

To “redress the balance”, Mrs Waite advocated new housebuilding in the central area. She also called for a spruce-up of the High Street. She suggested a £6million sweetener, due to be paid to the council by Southend United in exchange for permission to build its new stadium at Fossetts Farm, could be spent on overhauling small streets off the main shopping thoroughfare.

Mrs Waite said those changes could trigger the private investment needed to build new homes in the town centre to attract wealthy commuters and families.

Mrs Waite was a leading member of Southend Council but lost her seat. She is chairman of the Rochford and Southend East Conservative Association.

IIRC this has to be paid before work even begins at FF. A clause in the S106 agreement I believe.

I think Ms Waite will be waiting a while. Excuse the pun.

Last edited:
He won't need his chq book for that piddly amount chaps, it will just come out of petty cash.

IIRC this has to be paid before work even begins at FF. A clause in the S106 agreement I believe.

I think Ms Waite will be waiting a while. Excuse the pun.

Didn't the 106 agreement get altered so that it didn't all have to be paid upfront?

Mrs Waite did **** all of any use while she was in power and rightly lost her seat.

Now she has the cheek to tell others how it should be done.

I've found her via the wonders of the interweb! It IS my Nancy Howard, my former head mistress at WHSG! Blimey, she retired just after my year left so she's got to be well into her 80s by now!

Nancy Howard is obviously Ron's name for the Ol' War-Chest

Back