• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

MR G

First XI⭐
Have been a supporter of the club for about 40 years and now attend with my 10 year old son. Have been a passive SZ member for a while but felt the need to add my thoughts after this season so this is my first post.

Like everyone was bitterly disappointed not to seal a Wembley spot last night but thought at least we gave a pretty good account of ourselves, especially in the second half of each game, creating numerous chances.

Admittedly we are not the finished article but if we took a step back and looked at where we were 20 months ago with 4 professional players on the books a few weeks before the season was due to start and progressing to achieving 83 points and missing out on promotion by 1 point this is surely progress in a fairly quick timeframe.

I think Sturrock and Coughlan are a good combination. He has built a half decent squad in a short period of time. Personally I think we should keep faith with them and hope he can retain the critical members of the squad such as Grant, add one or two others such as Belford, Hills and then push on to achieve a top 3 finish next season. Then we can judge him after a third season.

UTB

Yep good stuff. We have to be seen to be going forward, and so Luggy has to get promotion next season for that to be an improvement on this. If we aren't promoted then we'll have to look to change things.

The day after is always the worst, I think we can move on we have had a good season topping the table for a fair time, missing out in the autos by one point(blame the floodlights) so its not to bad I think we should keep Sturrock and give him one more season before we judge him to harshly.

Welcome MR G. We both go back a long way with S.U.F.C. Words of wisdom from a wise head. Like you say, when you look back and we had 4 players, we've come a long way. Also their was a lot of panic contracts to make up a team and a squad. A lot of those have gone also. Bad injuries to the 2 main goal scorers, Corr and Dicko. Floodlight failure, and many other things on and off the feild. We did well and was very unlucky to miss out by a whisker.

We did well and was very unlucky to miss out by a whisker.

Our target was promotion this year and as the season progressed we all thought it was going become a reality. We didn't achieve that and that's failure in my opinion, not bad luck. There were many positives over the season - the unbeaten run, our away record, etc, but ultimately we came up short. That's the reality of it.

Our target was promotion this year and as the season progressed we all thought it was going become a reality. We didn't achieve that and that's failure in my opinion, not bad luck. There were many positives over the season - the unbeaten run, our away record, etc, but ultimately we came up short. That's the reality of it.

Our target, and every teams target every year should be promotion....what's the point in even playing unless you want the best for yourself every season.

If our home form was better we could win the league by a big margin, thats where we need to improve for next season....

Welcome MR G, similar length of supporting to myself and several others. I wonder if that allows a more philosophical perspective than the heated comments being made by some of the younger (in terms of supporting) posters? I agree fully with what you say, and actually think that if Gilbert is dispensed with, we could do a lot worse than Hills. Made a massive difference him coming on and being allowed to press forward. Wonder if Dougie would be up to some negotiation on a season long loan?

I think Sturrock and Coughlan are a good combination. He has built a half decent squad in a short period of time. Personally I think we should keep faith with them and hope he can retain the critical members of the squad such as Grant, add one or two others such as Belford, Hills and then push on to achieve a top 3 finish next season. Then we can judge him after a third season.

UTB

Agree totally. Thanks for posting. I'd also like some of our youth team players to be on the first team bench a bit more often too

works for Crewe.

If our home form was better we could win the league by a big margin, thats where we need to improve for next season....

Yep this was a major failing this year. Far too many 'off' days at home but where I will be slightly critical of PS if that some of his team selections were a bit negative at home.

A good post Mr G... i'm dissapointed like everyone else but i think we've had a good season but unfortunately our home form cost us promotion.

Thought I'd pop back again!! Winding on from my first ever post 8 weeks ago now I believe a strong squad is unfolding in front of us.
Although disappointed to lose Grant, we have cleared out the also-rans and then added 4 good signings before today. The resigning of the quality players like Philips is also key. With the return of the prodigal son today this has got to be a season to look forward to with anticipation.
All we need now is to hang on to other main men such as Bilel and Hall and then add a keeper plus a Grant-like midfielder and then we are a quality outfit.
Just checked online and you can 16/1 to win the league – got to be worth a punt.
I am looking forward to returning to my seat at the back of the South Lower with my son on Saturday.

Welcome Mr G........can't disagree with what you've said.........However, I fear that we may have to prepare ourselves for possibly losing Bilel.........no proof.......just a feeling.

Haha i hope you arn't some kind of soothsayer G, from your original gambit we've lost Grant won't be persuing Hills and unlikely to be in for Belford

I can only think Bil is definitely heading to Wednesday and Hall will be gone too come kick off :smile:

Back