• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Sandbach Shrimper

Life President⭐
So England put us through the motions as usual. 1st half was a bit scrappy, very congested in midfield but I thought we were pretty solid and Sweden didn't look very threatening. Brilliant cross from Gerrard (again) and header from Carroll. But then we go to sleep at two set-pieces early in the 2nd half. When Olef Mellberg scores twice against you, you know you have some defensive issues. Seems to be a bit of a lack of organisation at the back, although I thought Glen Johnson was superb tonight. Have to say at 2-1 down I wasn't hopeful we'd come back but fair play to them, they didn't let their heads drop and just kept calm and carried on. It's nice to see an England team with some spirit, fight and pride (all of them sang the national anthem). Reflected by the reaction of the management team to the goals. I don't think Capello or Eriksson's England would've come back there. Inspired substitution by Roy, Walcott's pace stunned them. The equaliser was a bit lucky - what on earth was the keeper playing at - but the winner was a good run and very skilful finish by Welbeck. Really like the look of him, very composed on the big stage for such a young lad. Can thank Fergie for that partly. Some dilemnas for Roy now - who does Rooney come in for, if anyone? Does Walcott start? I thought Young was poor and ineffective tonight, Milner was better. Oxlade-Chamberlain is exciting when he comes on. Gerrard put in another strong captain's performance and Carroll did what he was there to do. But we need to keep the ball better and sort our defending at set-pieces. We should beat Ukraine but I fear a top side would beat us quite comfortably playing like that. Mention for our fans too, vastly outnumbered but outsung the Swedes in the 2nd half. Loved the old English chants of 'Shall we sing a song for you' and 'you're not singing anymore'.

Spot on .. i'm still recovering, a forty something of questionable diet, below average exercise and above average alcohol intake shouldn't be allowed to watch that :dizzy:

Dull 1st half, great 2nd half obviously. How TF is Ashley Young an international?

Dull 1st half, great 2nd half obviously. How TF is Ashley Young an international?

Because he's been excellent for united this season.

Fantastic game, worrying performance. Danny Welbeck had me shouting the house down!

Gerrard just mouthed it I noticed and Rooney in the stands didn't bother.Must be a scouse thing.

Didn't see too many Swedes (notably Ibrahimavic) singing theirs.

Great substitution, and I was really pleased for Walcott. Thought Young was hopeless. Rooney will come in for Carroll against Ukraine, and I'd want Walcott instead of Milner.

In a good way. The whole buildup to his goal was absolutely superb. Fantastic passing and attacking football.
Thought it unlikely we'd agree, I was shouting at him in frustration most of the time!

Thought it unlikely we'd agree, I was shouting at him in frustration most of the time!

The stats for Welbeck are very impressive

3 shots - 1 goal, 1 blocked, 1 wide
Attacking 3rd passes - 14 successful from 15 attempts (only Scott Parker had more for England, 20/24)
Total passes - 26 from 27 (team average was about 80% completed)
2 goal chances created
2/2 take-ons completed
2/2 aerial battles won

Thoroughly impressive and exciting performance, shut a few critics up. Yes the goals we conceded werent great but considering this team has not played much together and Roy has only been in the job a few weeks he has engineered two splendid results against teams who we rarely beat. Tactically he got it spot on. We arent going to pass the ball like Spain or Germany but we do have other qualities- graft, strength, plus the odd player who can produce a piece of magic like Wellbeck and Theo did last night. Bear in mind no Rooney, Lampard, Barry and there were many positives. Johnson has been excellent as has Parker. Gerrard has put in two real captains performances. A vast improvement on anything Capello produced in the last world cup and the players really look up for it compared to previous tournaments. Of course the likelihood is we will be dispatched with ease by the Spanish in the QFs but the signs are promising for the future.

A big 4-0 or 5-0 win over Ukraine and we'll top the group most probably and worry about Spain further down the line. :winking:

Didn't see the game but have seen the goals online and I think Walcott's goal is one of the best of the tournament so far. Lots of people saying the keeper was at fault but Walcott hit it hard and was being closed down by two defenders, the ball is swinging and dipping and there are a few players between him and the goal so the keeper probably saw it late. Fantastic control from the clearance and strike for the goal. He needs to show that sort of quality, and the ability shown for the assist for Welbeck's goal which was also impressive, more often and for longer during games, both for Arsenal and England.

Trouble is that's all he is good for. 20 mins impact sub

Please don't let him start a game

Nonsense. That's such a lazy criticism. Theo Walcott was the top English player in the Premier League last season in terms of assists and only Bale, Van der Vaart, Lampard and Dempsey scored more goals from midfield than he did. He makes mistakes because he doesn't hide from the ball but even when he's playing poorly he still typically creates a couple of chances each game for his team.

Nonsense. That's such a lazy criticism. Theo Walcott was the top English player in the Premier League last season in terms of assists and only Bale, Van der Vaart, Lampard and Dempsey scored more goals from midfield than he did. He makes mistakes because he doesn't hide from the ball but even when he's playing poorly he still typically creates a couple of chances each game for his team.

Dempsey.:Worthy:Will he remain a Fulham player next season? I doubt it but here's hoping.:thumbsup:

I'm talking on the international front. National level doesn't come into it

Back