• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Kevin Hogg

President
Reading Luggy's pre-match interview prepared me for an opening day defeat.
When the manager mentions previous losing starts (he openly referred to losing four on the trot with Plymouth Argyle) it suggests he has not got a great deal of confidence ahead of the game.

It would seem that PS has been frustrated in getting the players and balance right for the opening. I am sure Smith is one important part of the jigsaw.

I hope PS is more inspiring to the squad than to the press. Least motivational words ahead of a new season I have read...and he was (unluckily in all honesty) proved correct.
Hopefully, one more crucial signing and we can move up a few gears!

He wasn't confident, I saw the team sheet and wasn't confident, the players didn't have confidence in whatever the game plan was and hence the result was, after 15 minutes, loss of shape and hit and hope football. The substitutions were again odd.

subs should of been made as soon as we went one nil down, right from the start of the game i thought the players lacked confidence, cant see why we even played two strikers up front together that have never even played in the same side before.

His choice of starting XI had me confused. Surely a Straker at left back and either Hurst of Dave Martin at left wing offered more than Prosser and Leonard? Cresswell could have been half fit I dont know but if not then why not start him with Phillips as Barker looks like a yesterdays man to me. Brit whatever his name is hadnt I suspect even met his team mates yet started ahead of both Benyon and Harris.

Then subs wise I dont know why he had a centre back upfront and then brought Harris into the middle. Tomlin was getting past his man time after time and yet we offered nothing down the left. Even he could have gone over there and done some damage.

When we were preparing for the season PS must have an idea of his line up and he did say he wanted to change our style a little. from yesterday I see little change of style or any developing regular starting line up to get us scoring and out of this league.

I think the reality is - we have been poor for months. Almost the whole of 2012 in fact.

PS would realise that more than most. I am always hopeful but any talk of promotion appears without any basis whatsoever. Our form from January, the whimper against Crewe, the usual financial probs, a 0-6 home score and now two competitive defeats.

It is one thing being doom and gloom for no reason but it is important to have a reality check. We are in very bad shape.

PS, knows this and he has more experience than many to deal with it.

We can but hope!

subs should of been made as soon as we went one nil down, right from the start of the game i thought the players lacked confidence, cant see why we even played two strikers up front together that have never even played in the same side before.

Why? Up to that point we had been passing the ball around on the floor, made their keeper make 4 good saves.

Pre season PS said he wanted us to be more of a threat at home, quicker out of the starting block and although he rated Gilbert as "possibly the best defensive full back in league 2" he felt Straker would bring us something different. So why play Prosser who is OK as left back cover but offers nothing going forward and leave Straker on the bench? I know he's not been getting good reviews from the pre-season friendlies but it seems strange to give up on Straker so soon. Coupled with Leonard who again is no threat as an attacking player (apart from the long throws and some theatrical dives) it made it an ultra cautious line up to kick off the league programme at home to very nondescript opposition. As the OP says, not confidence inspiring.

Why? Up to that point we had been passing the ball around on the floor, made their keeper make 4 good saves.
you could see the whole game we lacked that cutting edge in the final third and were reduced to long shots mainly from leonard, i thought we would see a change straight after half time but it didnt happen and probley cost us the game.

you could see the whole game we lacked that cutting edge in the final third and were reduced to long shots mainly from leonard, i thought we would see a change straight after half time but it didnt happen and probley cost us the game.

No we weren't. Dunbavin made at least 3 close range saves.

Our chances, those few on target, came from defenders/midfielders and set pieces. The front two ran and worked but threatened little in open play. We changed our play after huffing and puffing for 15/20 mins and reverted to just trying to get corners and to score from them or long throw routines.

No we weren't. Dunbavin made at least 3 close range saves.
we never even looked like winning the game or getting a goal untill we went 1-0 down but that happend alot to us at home last season and need to be a more attacking threat at home as yesterdays game just looked like another end of season nothing game, accrington will be bottom half of the league and with two away games starting with a in form oxford i fear we could be bottom after three games, i hope im wrong tho.

we never even looked like winning the game or getting a goal untill we went 1-0 down but that happend alot to us at home last season and need to be a more attacking threat at home as yesterdays game just looked like another end of season nothing game, accrington will be bottom half of the league and with two away games starting with a in form oxford i fear we could be bottom after three games, i hope im wrong tho.

Don't know what game you were watching but Dunbavin made 3 good saves in the first half, well before Accy scored. Get your facts right.

Don't know what game you were watching but Dunbavin made 3 good saves in the first half, well before Accy scored. Get your facts right.
as much as i love southend and my two mates with me at the game and think the same, we never done enough to look like winning the game and never really got into second gear untill they scored, you wanna man up pal:winking:

as much as i love southend and my two mates with me at the game and think the same, we never done enough to look like winning the game and never really got into second gear untill they scored, you wanna man up pal:winking:

What don't you get? We had 3 very good efforts on goal that a keeper having a great day saved. Had he not been having such a good day we could have been 3-0 up by have time. They were shots on goal the keeper saved and could have gone in.

What don't you get? We had 3 very good efforts on goal that a keeper having a great day saved. Had he not been having such a good day we could have been 3-0 up by have time. They were shots on goal the keeper saved and could have gone in.
how comes your not counting their efforts on goal ? does that mean they could have been 5-3 up by half-time then:blush:

how comes your not counting their efforts on goal ? does that mean they could have been 5-3 up by half-time then:blush:

Did they have any before the goal. I can't really remember it.

Anyway, your point was we didn't even look like scoring. My point was we did, we had 3 chances. Its' irrelevant whether they had chances.

Let's accept we had three goal attempts.

We had as straight forward an opening game as it gets..on paper. A home game against Accrington Stanley. Three shots or not - we lost.

Our results have been patchy/not very encouraging in 2012. There appears a massive lack of confidence and we are getting beaten at the start of a new campaign.

Obviously, based on one League game it is too early to be too concerned. Based on 2012? I am extremely concerned.

I like to think that once Eastwood, Cresswell et all are fit, the team will change and will be a stronger one.

Smith
Clohessy Cresswell Phillips Straker/Leonard

Hall Spicer Timlin Hurst

Eastwood Tomlin

I would like to see this.

Not keen on Straker but I'm happy to go with Sturrock for a few months and see how he gets on.

Let's accept we had three goal attempts.

We had as straight forward an opening game as it gets..on paper. A home game against Accrington Stanley. Three shots or not - we lost.

Our results have been patchy/not very encouraging in 2012. There appears a massive lack of confidence and we are getting beaten at the start of a new campaign.

Obviously, based on one League game it is too early to be too concerned. Based on 2012? I am extremely concerned.
not sure you should have written this as you will have DWB on your case now:stunned:goodluck with it anyway.

Back