• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

FarmdogSUFC

The Custard Splat - Southend United Fan Podcast
Just read a quote from PS on last nights game:

"Fans are singing and dancing because we won but the goal that won us the game was probably what they would call hoofball".

Now, don't get me wrong, I can't stand it when i see a player just lump it upfield but like when we went on that 17 match unbeaten run, we were winning and TBH and din't care what style we was playing. Last nights goal came from a cross into the box and a great header. Now I think most people in the world would describe that goal as a great cross and a great header. So why does PS feel the need to come out and say that? IMO I feel that he's trying to prove a point, but is using a goal that didn't come from "hoofball". Does anyone else feel the same way or am I reading this wrong?

Discuss

Just read a quote from PS on last nights game:

"Fans are singing and dancing because we won but the goal that won us the game was probably what they would call hoofball".

Now, don't get me wrong, I can't stand it when i see a player just lump it upfield but like when we went on that 17 match unbeaten run, we were winning and TBH and din't care what style we was playing. Last nights goal came from a cross into the box and a great header. Now I think most people in the world would describe that goal as a great cross and a great header. So why does PS feel the need to come out and say that? IMO I feel that he's trying to prove a point, but is using a goal that didn't come from "hoofball". Does anyone else feel the same way or am I reading this wrong?

Discuss
He is justifying some of the terrible, undesirable tactics that he deployed for the majority of last season. The thing is we did not play hoofball for the majority of last nights match and only resorted to the tactics late in the game, in pursuit of a winner. All fans accept that. It is only when we have ninety minutes of it that it wears thin.

Reading those quotes last night, I was quite disappointed in Sturrock as it did feel like a bit of an attack on the fans. Given that the fans aren't particularly enamored with his style of play, and that we've had a pretty poor start to the season, coupled with losing our best players, you'd think Sturrock would be trying to please the fans not alienate them with comments like these.

He thinks the best way to get promoted from this division with the limited resources that he has at his disposal is to play a certain way. The players, chairman and fans all want to play a different way and he's seemingly been forced to comply. So I imagine he probably has got a bee in his bonnet about all this. Well we know that he does actually from all the topics that cluniemore starts on the subject.

Yup, was a stupid thing to do / say. Having seen Sturrock interviewed though, you can see he would have said that with a cheeky smile and a glint in his eye, but even so, doesnt look good in print. Considering its inaccuracy too (like a Prosser hoof), that the goal came from a cross into the box - not exactly John Beck circa 1990s.

Dunno why he has to keep bringing it up. He knows the fans dont like it and his side has hardly set the world alight this season - should just shut up and concentrate on getting us playing better.

Not really necessary from Sturrock.

Comments like that will achieve nothing, other than to rile those who are critical of his approach, even more.

The thing is, I'm the type of person that if we are winning, I don't really care. I'm glad I wasn't the only one to think this though

Woe betide a man to speak his mind - whether it's tongue in cheek or how he feels - people can't have it both ways ! People dig on here and then don't expect a man Of Sturrocks management record to be able to speak his mind ! Suppose people like yes men when it suits their purpose that said person agrees with them !

PS can say what he likes as far s I'm concerned if its after a Southend victory !

Personally I like PS no nonsense attitude that also criticises his own teams performance whilst not looking for officials etc to blame !

Yup, was a stupid thing to do / say. Having seen Sturrock interviewed though, you can see he would have said that with a cheeky smile and a glint in his eye, but even so, doesnt look good in print. Considering its inaccuracy too (like a Prosser hoof), that the goal came from a cross into the box - not exactly John Beck circa 1990s.

I didn't see it so how did the ball get into the crossing position in the first place? Had it been worked there through an intricate passing move or had the ball gone up quickly and was then played wide to Harris?

Sturrock's philosophy has never been a John Beck-style long ball up to the big fella who flicks it on to the other fella to score. It's about getting the ball into the final third as quickly as possible and then playing from there.

Forget the Sturrock's comments last night, I don't think our style of play is much different from any side that we have played in our latest stint in L2, except perhaps Crewe last season.

To be honest, I think he's right with his comments that the" the goal that won us the game was probably what they would call hoofball" because the hoofball comments are exactly the kind of comments we have been seeing on this board for that kind of play.

Not clever from Sturrock to point out the hypocrisy.

That won't help win back alienated supporters, although it's hard to just take the criticism without defending yourself.

He thinks the best way to get promoted from this division with the limited resources that he has at his disposal is to play a certain way. The players, chairman and fans all want to play a different way and he's seemingly been forced to comply. So I imagine he probably has got a bee in his bonnet about all this. Well we know that he does actually from all the topics that cluniemore starts on the subject.

Why am I the last to find these things out? How come you know that the players and chairman want a different style of play and I don't. Where did you hear that?

I think PS is a great manager and will go down as one of the greatest in lower league. Didn't the goal actuallty come from a quick break, Spicer running down the wing and playing the ball to Harris who cut in and crossed it?

I just think that it's another example of how precious football fans are. Happy to give out stick in the ground and on message boards but not happy to get even a gentle prod back.

I'm not trying to contrast him with Tilly but plenty of people on here used to moan about him not saying anything in his post-match comments.

plenty of people have slated/had a go/moaned about things during sturrocks reign, surely they are big enough to take a bit of stick back???

Exactly.
It's just banter , but this time from Sturrock.
Grow up

Why am I the last to find these things out? How come you know that the players and chairman want a different style of play and I don't. Where did you hear that?

Sturrock heavily implied that the players want to play a style that they are not technically good enough to play after the Spurs debacle and that they need to understand that they're League Two players and play a League Two style. If you've got Blues Player you can hear the interview yourself.

As for the Chairman... well that's what I've been told. Could be nonsense.

Sturrock heavily implied that the players want to play a style that they are not technically good enough to play after the Spurs debacle and that they need to understand that they're League Two players and play a League Two style. If you've got Blues Player you can hear the interview yourself.

As for the Chairman... well that's what I've been told. Could be nonsense.

Not unless they've sorted out the official site so it actually loads so I can log into Bluesworld.

Back