• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 2, Southend United 0

Couldn't see if he was offside or not, but the lino only put his flag up when Tomlin went for the ball, which is the rules, and not because the defense shouted for it.

I always have doubts about offside. Can the lino really see when the ball is played and where the striker is at the same time? I think they often rely on reactions of the players.

Worried about Tuesday though with the gills having only played once in the same time as we have played three times. Utb

No need to worry! Last January we lost games to the weather and then went gloating into a game against Swindon who were thought to be easy meat because of the glut of games they'd had. They were match fit, we weren't, and we were demolished 1-4. Gillingham here we come!

Couldn't see if he was offside or not, but the lino only put his flag up when Tomlin went for the ball, which is the rules, and not because the defense shouted for it.

I was plumb in-line with Tomlin & he was at worst level when the ball was played. The Burton defence shouted when they saw they were beat & the lino who was nowhere near in-line reacted to their shouts, resulting free kick = 1-0.

Doesn't really matter though, we could have played for 3 hours & we wouldn't have got anything today, it was one of those games.

Roll on Tuesday..:smile:

I always have doubts about offside. Can the lino really see when the ball is played and where the striker is at the same time? I think they often rely on reactions of the players.
If the lino is up with play and continuously focused on where the opposition's back line/deepest player is then they should get it right more often than not as I'd like to think they can anticipate a pass happening out of the corner of their eye, particularly if the play is happening on the opposite side. Not that I'm claiming to be an expert.

I hate the excuse of players being tired, they are athletes who work two hours a day for a blessed career.

Today we plain and simply didn't turn up, too many players had a poor day at the office...even the realiable and consistent players like Laird and Clohessy were below par.

The second goal killed us as we were enjoying our best spell up to that point. Burton are an average side but they were fired up today and had more desire from the offset, for the first time in a while we were bullied a little today...that didn't help with the weak officials.

It was frustrating that for the last half hour we resorted to forty yard diagonal balls but it seemed as a result of frustration and a lack of options. Not sure Corr is ready to start matches yet and it tends to force us to go longer than we have been playing.

All things aside - if you offered me our current position after the Aldershot match, I would have called you a lunatic. Now it's important - how do we respond in the very important next week that could go a long way to shaping our season.

With this set our players and spirit in the side, as long as we stay behind them I fancy them to start another run or two!!!

disappointing to see fighting among our own fans
anyone know what this was all about? Overheard the first aid people saying it started because someone was wearing a different shade of blue, then someone on the train said someome had objected to the chant 'Dorset Shrimpers' - neither sound very likely.

Luggy in his interview after the game said the same team can go out in 10 minutes to face Gillingham (not sure how there'd feel) but obviously as he said just a bad day at the office.
The run had to come to an end, should make for a good game with both teams wanting it, lets hope for a sensible ref, if that is possible?:unsure:

No. There were lots of niggley fouls, kicking the ball away, stealing 5 yards from a free kick etc. On one occasion Timlin was wrestled back from taking a quick free kick right in front of the ref and he did nothing. In fairness on that occasion he did need to go to see Corr who was lying on the floor in the box claiming he'd just been whacked. It was really blatent and went on all afternoon

I have to agree with that, the Albion players started blatant timewasting as soon as they went two nil up and the ref did little to stop it. That said we never looked like scoring and played the ball long too many times. Although there were the periods when got the ball down and played some decent football.

I met a Burton pal for a pre and post match beer, and the general concensus from Albion fans after the game was we played it long to often, but they were surprised we didn't really create a chance all afternoon.

It was a real shame that Tomlin run himself into the ground to make up for Corr's laziness. With Britt missing, it makes life easier for defenders, as Corr is so one dimensional. He should not be put on ahead of Freddy, who even if he's unfit, offers more than Corr.

Today was poor and yes we could have had 3 penalties, but that would have only glossed over a poor performance if we clutch at those straws!

Get well soon Britt!

Wouldn't say Laziness on Corr's part, although agree on his lack of mobility. Corr is a player who gives 100% but I believe his is only effective as an impact player when we need a plan B or are chasing a match.

Today showed that Britt brings out the best in Tomlin - they both work the channels and chase lost causes, I think Corr being less mobile meant that Burton could keep shape easier and therefore crowd out Tomlin with two sometimes three defensive players whenever he was in possession.

No way was Corr lazy. He suffered because our tactics switched to trying to play Tomlin down the channels and he was working as hard as anyone on and off the ball. I felt he did look a little slow though. Any idea where Benton or A N Other was to be the 7th man?

The game passed Corr by. Too often the ball was passed him or over him. He was too slow in speed, mobility & thought, which is why Freddy would be the better option without Britt, as Corr is a one dimensional player.

The game passed Corr by. Too often the ball was passed him or over him. He was too slow in speed, mobility & thought, which is why Freddy would be the better option without Britt, as Corr is a one dimensional player.

None of that = lazy

London Midland trains - they claimed it was boarding and then kept us waiting on the platform for 20 minutes and they stop EVERYWHERE but they are cheap and follow canal routes so have nice views. Worked and listen to Melody's Echo Chamber (Broadcast meet Cocteau Twins) on the way. Found a quiet pub near the station called the Roebuck where everyone knows each other - £3.20 a pint, that's not so grim up north. Walked passed Glyn's Barbers, which amused me as it sounds like Glynis Barber....as I say, it amused me. The walk from the station to the ground was nondescript but then to be fair the walk from Prittlewell is too (Rolo Tomassi on my ipod though and that makes everything a bit woooo). The ground is 3 low terraces and one proper main stand with seating and long windows behind that look like they are a hospitality area that spans the whole length of the stand, but would have views of 3 low terraces, and 4th tier football. Capacity is low but even with a crowd of 2,600 all the stands look busy, including the away areas. Our seats in one corner of the main stand give a good view and they give us the whole of the terrace behind one goal too.

We created opportunities but not chances. By which I mean we were working towards chances but that didn't actually become chances. The understanding upfront that was expected to dip in January as Britt went back to Watford was delayed by 5 months with his loan extension but then brought forward with his injury. Corr's first touch is poor, he is off the pace and he is second to headers (man sitting in front of me says he is 'as weak as a kitten') - but you do still feel if the ball falls to him in the right position he will score - but will it fall? He puts one exceptional ball through to Tomlin but when the resulting cross comes in he is on the floor having skidded in the wet. 16 minutes in and from my view we are 1 down from what looks like a Cresswell own goal having slipped on the dodgy surface. We then started to pressure and the ball stayed up our end mostly through Tam breaking up play and making forward passes and Hurst putting in decent crosses. Tomlin came close with a turn and shot that needed to be tipped around the post. They were playing away team tactics, sitting back and soaking the pressure and hitting us on the break - and it worked as they went 2-0 up, like the first it seemed to take a wicked deflection (feels a bit better to have the excuse of a deflection). We did nothing before the break that gave realistic hope that things would get better other than the memory of the previous 14 games, so we did have unrealistic hope.

Footballgroundguide.com states that Burton serve 'chip butties in crusty bread' - that was my main reason for going, so half time was the time to shine, and I buy what turns out to be chips in a lank bap. The day is going from bad to worse. Second half - nothing of interest happens, good night.

Well, they did have a player sent off, and Martin came on and missed a sitter, and Freddy came on and barely got a touch, and Phillips came on and looked pretty good actually, and for some reason the ref allowed a series of free kicks to take 5 minutes each to be taken, but nothing of interest. Best news of the day was that it didn't rain on the walk back to the station.

That said the train journey back was ok. It was full of Southampton fans (3-3 vs Stoke) and they still love us after our relegation trips there, I sat next to a young lady who plied me with red wine, and as there were no loos on the train the driver kept making wee stops ('you've got 4 minutes then I'm going without you') so it had the vibe of a school outing.

James from Manchester may win the longest journey of the day comp as he travelled from Hastings, but lives in Manchester, but is staying in Hastings, but he lives in Manchester, so when going away to Burton - go home to Manchester you muppet.

None of that = lazy

Yes it is as he made no effort, which is the reason the game passed him by. Yes he's crap, but a bit of effort would help his cause, instead of trying to pick a fight with various Burton players. Very similar to his stupidity he showed at Plymouth earlier this season. Apparently Paul Clark wasn't too impressed with his antics or performance today either.

I don't quite understand the post-match PS spiel. He appeared to blame the players for changing their style because Corr was on the pitch as if that was not the intention. Come off it. If PS wanted balls into the channel for Corr then he is mad. Corr is one dimensional and that dimension does not include pacey or particularly good with his feet. So not wanting to change must be why he then threw Cressy up top and then brought Martin on to hopefully supply crosses for an aerial assault. I think its time PS came clean about FE, because as far as I can see there is an agenda of some sort here not unlike we have seen with other players last season. Brought in, by whom is academic, and then consigned to the bench or worse.

I can't fault PS for the style change this season but I hope the man management problems of last season, that destroyed the dressing room, do not resurface. Players frustrated at being overlooked because the favourites are on the pitch can easily cause disruption and who would blame them.

Only one defeat and the season has been great but its not only about how the team react to losing but the management too. Some lessons to be learned all round.

I don't quite understand the post-match PS spiel. He appeared to blame the players for changing their style because Corr was on the pitch as if that was not the intention. Come off it. If PS wanted balls into the channel for Corr then he is mad. Corr is one dimensional and that dimension does not include pacey or particularly good with his feet. So not wanting to change must be why he then threw Cressy up top and then brought Martin on to hopefully supply crosses for an aerial assault. I think its time PS came clean about FE, because as far as I can see there is an agenda of some sort here not unlike we have seen with other players last season. Brought in, by whom is academic, and then consigned to the bench or worse.

I can't fault PS for the style change this season but I hope the man management problems of last season, that destroyed the dressing room, do not resurface. Players frustrated at being overlooked because the favourites are on the pitch can easily cause disruption and who would blame them.

Only one defeat and the season has been great but its not only about how the team react to losing but the management too. Some lessons to be learned all round.

Spot on! I called the Cresswell & Corr change at half time as Corr was clueless. The one thing I did predict wrong was him being sent off. We slagged off Bilel for being a loon, but Corr isn't a million miles behind him. The Burton players sussed that & spent the game clattering into him from behind, something Bilel couldn't cope with, or chirping in his ear or to his face!

Also, RM has admitted, or so I've been told that it was him that brought in Freddy. PS must have been peed off with that!

Strange but predictable that everyone seems to reach for the anti-depressants as soon as we lose. We've been great lately, but yesterday burst some bubbles and showed that we really do lack strength in depth.

It's impossible to talk about Burton without it sounding like sour grapes. We deserved nothing, but they really are a horrible little unit. As others have mentioned, we were bullied throughout and had no help from the ref. If he'd played ten minutes of injury time they couldn't have complained, but he didn't. I'm glad I don't pay to watch them every week. Cloggers.

Have I missed something in relation to Benyon? Is he injured? He would have been a better option than Corr or Eastwood in my opinion. I like Corr a lot, but I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to play full matches and be effective. Eastwood looks fed up, but he also looks like someone who lives on fry-ups and steroids. Boy, did we miss Assombalonga.

A horrible day, compounded by a stinking cold and a marathon of a train journey home. I'd say roll on Tuesday, but I'm a little worried.

Back