• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Burton Albion 2, Southend United 0

Can't understand Corr being made a scapegoat for this loss. Admittedly he didn't play particularly well but there were 5 or 6 others that were worse. He's started 40 games for Southend, scored 24 goals. 3 were penalties so hardly padded with them as someone suggested. This is a great record that you can't argue with. He isn't fully fit, there's no doubt about that but how people can get on his back is beyond me. I hope he scores the winner on Tuesday, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Can't understand Corr being made a scapegoat for this loss. Admittedly he didn't play particularly well but there were 5 or 6 others that were worse. He's started 40 games for Southend, scored 24 goals. 3 were penalties so hardly padded with them as someone suggested. This is a great record that you can't argue with. He isn't fully fit, there's no doubt about that but how people can get on his back is beyond me. I hope he scores the winner on Tuesday, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did.

Not a scapegoat, just the exampleof how we've gone back to hoofball & not sticking to playing it on the floor.

Welcome on to SZ Tim, I think the problem is that Burton have been a consistent thorn in our sides and that's why people are so bitter. I wasn't there, but have seen far too many times to mention where sides have been allowed to get away with quite unnecessary niggling because of inept officials. That, and, of course, people are just hacked off cos we lost for once and so the pessimism and blaming culture descends again!

Can't go along with this, I'm afraid. I can accept that Burton must be better than they appeared yesterday, as are we, and the Burton fan was perfectly reasonable. However, in terms of entertainment, which is all that football is, they're awful. I don't often moan about officials, but this lot made a rod for their own backs by letting them get away with every trick in the book. Burton have earned their place in the league, but only their mums could love 'em.

I don't think he should be the scapegoat. He plays when he is picked and that is what he is paid for. The issue is that when he is picked we have a good idea the way the play will go and so do the opposition. The style was found out last season and changed far too late to prevent it from ruining any realistic automatic promotion ambitions. Its not going to suddenly be good just because we left it alone for a while.

As earlier in the season, before the side was settled and capable, we threw a big man up for the last period of games we were chasing and sometimes it worked. We do not need it for ninety minutes when a better style has proven so successful.

I personally would have put Eastwood on instead but whatever the viewpoint on FE's current level of ability I would have wanted to keep the game plan/pattern as close to normal. So if not FE then EB or even DM to run the channels.

I applaud Corr for getting back playing after his horrendous spell of injuries but sentiment does not score goals. The team has been playing a certain way and done well, not just in terms of results but entertainment too.

Not a scapegoat, just the exampleof how we've gone back to hoofball & not sticking to playing it on the floor.

This is simply not true and can we stop now the pathetic hoofball rubbish which bored everyone to death on here last season.
Britt was rested so Barry Corr gets the nod - how is this reverting to hoofball ? name me all the teams from the championship down who don't play with a target man?
Also can you please clarify your earlier comment about Barry Corr's goals season before last - just how many penalty's did he score exactly ?

This is simply not true and can we stop now the pathetic hoofball rubbish which bored everyone to death on here last season.
Britt was rested so Barry Corr gets the nod - how is this reverting to hoofball ? name me all the teams from the championship down who don't play with a target man?
Also can you please clarify your earlier comment about Barry Corr's goals season before last - just how many penalty's did he score exactly ?

Sorry but I have to agree with Rich on this one. Only difference perhaps being that I don't think it's ever a conscious tactical decision to change to the direct long ball game when Corr is playing and which is so easily sussed out and defended against - I think it just happens naturally.

We have been playing a style of football recently which is very different to last season's style - it involves running the ball out of defence through the middle, building from the back a lot more and playing it on the deck a lot more, thus only really using longer passes to put the ball in the channels (we've had two hugely successful channel-runners playing in the form of Britt and Tomlin) and when we've wanted to switch play to the opposite flank.

What Rich is getting at, is that this style of play has been so successful in terms of both results AND entertainment, that with one of its lynchpins (Britt) out, you want to be making as much of a like-for-like change as possible in order to maintain the tactical style. Fred might not run as quickly as he used to, but he still has enough about him to cause a nuisance when running the channels and he is awesome with the ball at his feet which is conducive to the "ball on deck" style we've been playing. Corr is good at what he does but he cannot run the channels and latch onto balls in behind, and he is not particularly brilliant with the ball at his feet 20 yards from goal. When he is on the pitch, there is a subconscious alteration to mentality - it is so easy for players further back to swing a boot through it and to hit it long to Corr's head, and that is just like last season when the same ugly long balls were lumped up to Dickinson and easily defended against and sussed out by the opposition. So if the style of football needed to be maintained, why was the more like-for-like swap of Fred for Britt not made? Because for my mind, at this moment in time, BBBC does not quite fit in with our new tactical direction.

Yes plenty of sides throughout the FL play with a target man, but with all due respect to Barry, they are more capable (and more match-fit) target men who win balls in the air and not only that, but they hold the ball up with their back to goal and link the play well. This isn't something which BBBC seems to have in his locker at this precise moment in time, so likening us to any other side with a decent target man is inaccurate IMO.

Sturrock is no fool, hopefully what he saw yesterday and against Bury in the FA Cup replay would suggest that Corr is not suited to our current and successful style of play the past couple of months.

I am a Corr fan and feel that he is perfect as an impact sub and for plan B, he is a real aerial threat and gives 100% whenever he plays however we all need to remember he is still searching for match fitness after 16 months (guestimate) out, he is not fit or suited to lead the line from the start. Even more so when you consider we have the likes of Eastwood, Benyon and Harris (Back in full training) who would be more suited to our style and pattern of play.

Did you go yesterday mate, the football was the worst I have seen all season, well at least since September. Plain and simply, second half the players lacked desire and no-one was showing for the ball, this therefore meant that we resorted to long hopeful balls which are easy to defend.

Also, Britt failed a fitness test after that horrible tackle boxing day, it wasn't a case of resting him and giving Corr the nod.

Sturrock is no fool, hopefully what he saw yesterday and against Bury in the FA Cup replay would suggest that Corr is not suited to our current and successful style of play the past couple of months.

I am a Corr fan and feel that he is perfect as an impact sub and for plan B, he is a real aerial threat and gives 100% whenever he plays however we all need to remember he is still searching for match fitness after 16 months (guestimate) out, he is not fit or suited to lead the line from the start. Even more so when you consider we have the likes of Eastwood, Benyon and Harris (Back in full training) who would be more suited to our style and pattern of play.

Precisely.

You is Freud you is:dim:

You didn't claim your £5! He had a fascination with ball tactics too.

Did you go yesterday mate, the football was the worst I have seen all season, well at least since September. Plain and simply, second half the players lacked desire and no-one was showing for the ball, this therefore meant that we resorted to long hopeful balls which are easy to defend.

Also, Britt failed a fitness test after that horrible tackle boxing day, it wasn't a case of resting him and giving Corr the nod.

In fairness I didn't go but to imply that Barry Corr is a hoof ball merchant is wrong IMO. That is my line of attack, I am not disputing the poor performance just counter arguing the Eastwood theory.

In fairness I didn't go but to imply that Barry Corr is a hoof ball merchant is wrong IMO. That is my line of attack, I am not disputing the poor performance just counter arguing the Eastwood theory.
I don't think anyone was implying that, more that he is the target for others who have been hoofing!

What Tim conveniently doesn't mention is how long Stanton stood there arguing with the ref before he finally strolled off the pitch.

Simply because that's neither here nor there really, is it? How often do players who have been shown a red refuse to budge for a bit before grudgingly trudging off? Don't see that as a big deal - sure, we all get irritated when it's the other side's player doing it, but y'know..... one of those things...

Re. Stanton, I don't actually entirely disagree. We have known for ages that Stanno has a temper on him and plenty of our own fans have been on his back for giving away needless free kicks, getting cards etc. He needs to sort it out. However, the ref simply appeared to give them both a yellow card for the general argy bargy. He didn't even realise anything was going on until your lad was already eye-balling Stanno. Instead of booking both, he could've just spoken to both. Ultimately some of our fans consider we actually looked even better at the back when Webster came on in his place and started winning lots of headers to make sure we closed it out. Stanno does have a chip on his shoulder, no doubt about it. Ref yesterday was just a joke all round.

Dingley Dangley - re. 'Burton are awful' entertainment wise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn't it. I know what you're trying to say, but at the end of the day if your side is winning that in itself is entertainment enough. I would also question how much credibility can be given to an opinion based on a couple of games per season. Those of us who see 30+ would say quite honestly that we have played plenty of nice stuff this season (not least outplaying near enough Leicester's first XI away from home having also played very nicely to take out Sheff Utd at their place the round before). You're not going to agree with me, of course, and that's fine. It's a results business. We've got 39 before the end of the year and we're very happy with that.

Cheers chaps.

Probably ought to give Burton credit for making us resort to playing it long. They're obviously not a bad side - only a point behind us.

Simply because that's neither here nor there really, is it? How often do players who have been shown a red refuse to budge for a bit before grudgingly trudging off? Don't see that as a big deal - sure, we all get irritated when it's the other side's player doing it, but y'know..... one of those things...

Re. Stanton, I don't actually entirely disagree. We have known for ages that Stanno has a temper on him and plenty of our own fans have been on his back for giving away needless free kicks, getting cards etc. He needs to sort it out. However, the ref simply appeared to give them both a yellow card for the general argy bargy. He didn't even realise anything was going on until your lad was already eye-balling Stanno. Instead of booking both, he could've just spoken to both. Ultimately some of our fans consider we actually looked even better at the back when Webster came on in his place and started winning lots of headers to make sure we closed it out. Stanno does have a chip on his shoulder, no doubt about it. Ref yesterday was just a joke all round.

Dingley Dangley - re. 'Burton are awful' entertainment wise. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder isn't it. I know what you're trying to say, but at the end of the day if your side is winning that in itself is entertainment enough. I would also question how much credibility can be given to an opinion based on a couple of games per season. Those of us who see 30+ would say quite honestly that we have played plenty of nice stuff this season (not least outplaying near enough Leicester's first XI away from home having also played very nicely to take out Sheff Utd at their place the round before). You're not going to agree with me, of course, and that's fine. It's a results business. We've got 39 before the end of the year and we're very happy with that.

Cheers chaps.

Oh, Tim, how have you got me into this exchange? I rarely post here, and it's hardly the epicentre of objectivity. This is a fans forum, where people let off steam to the like-minded. I do wonder why it's so important to you that supporters of another team have to agree with you, but there you go.

I posted after suffering through one of the worst games I can remember. Victory can be compensation for bad football, I agree, but facts is facts, and this was a stinker. The little **** who got sent off wasn't alone in his niggly aggression, but I think we're in agreement that the officials played a big part. Having said all that, I'm a Southend supporter. I don't like football enough to come away happy from exhibitions of ineptitude like that, especially as my journey to home games is as far as the Burton game was. I like Southend, and all other teams smell of elderberries. Congratulations on your cup victories and all that, but that's as far as it goes. I enjoyed seeing us win at your place last year, and I hated seeing us lose on Saturday.

As long as you continue to be below us, good luck to you.

Cheers chaps.

One thing about Burton that frustrated me immensely was their intimidation of the Match Officials. Every time a decision went against them in the final third they swarmed the Referee en mass. 3-5 players a time. That's really not on.

I went to Burton last year and felt they played very pretty football, but were powderpuff. I felt the same about Morecambe earlier this year. To be fair they need to compete at this level without the biggest budget and have clearly 'toughened up' in the last 12 months and developed a style of playing that's effective. Stoke City have done the same thing, in a slightly different way, and fair play to both of them. A stronger referee wouldn't have let them dictate the speed of play, but that's not their fault.

Back