• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Gillingham 1

@CJPhillips1982: Sturrock: "There is an area of our team where it is obvious we have to improve. When I signed someone you will find out where."

Interesting stuff

Centre mid for me with Tam going though maybe worth giving Donnelly a go, if not why bother signing him?

i thought smith was decent today made some good stops the goal maybe could of been dominant and come but if barker takin responsibility then fair play lets just look forward and get back on track

Here goes for the first match rating of 2013;

Entertaining game, but for all the wrong reasons. Gills were far the better team in the first half, and were unlucky to only be one up. We were better first 20 mins of second half, and had them rattled, but couldn't find the net . Gills can count themselves unlucky not to get a second in the second half when Weston (I think) hit the inside of the post.

As I said in another post, I wondered whether Legge would be signed in time to play, and his inclusion alongside Barret at centre half kept our lacklustre forwards at bay.

Smith; 5 Indecisive, could, and probably should have come for the goal. Lack of communication with back four meant that especially in the first half, we were all at sea. The second half strike that hit the post he just watched, and made no attempt to dive for, which was lucky, as he was then in the right place to collect the resulting rebound.

Clohessey 6 Better going forward than defending! got skinned a couple of times in first half (two games running now) and again in the second.

Cresswell 6 Seen him have better games, needs to keep it simple on a cutting up pitch. Had his hands full especially in first half.

Prosser 6.5 pick of the back four(just) didn't put a foot wrong.

Barker 6.5 The obvious lack of pace, was made up for by his reading of the game. One moment in the second half, where he lost a challenge, then made up 40 yards, and slid in to win the tackle shows a lot for his desire. Also, a good covering job for clohessey in the second half when he slipped.

Laird 6 Don't know whether it was a cut lip, that meant he didn't make the second half, but he got out-muscled a fair few times in the first anyway.

Makandawire 6 Too physical for him in the midfield. Looked like he didn't want to get injured before returning. When he did get time on the ball looked ok, but not often enough.

Timlin 5 Oh dear, not one of his better games. Everything he tried didn't come off. Sticky pitch didn't help his passing, nor his desire to try 40 yard passes too often. Tried to get himself booked for a lunge in the 90th minute when there was no need.

Hurst 6.5 MOM just. Looked the only player in the first half who had any control when on the ball. In the second, played central midfield, and I actually thought it suited his game better.

Tomlin 6 Struggled with balls played over his head in the first half, with the exception of one run, where he fed Britt. Played wider in a front three in the second without much joy.

Assombalonga 6 Looked like he was still carrying the injury a bit. Had a shot just over, but again service to him was poor.

Subs; Corr 6 Made a difference, and in fairness Luggy had to change something, and he gave Barrett and Legge something to think about at least. Although should have done better with the ball at his feet from 4 yards.

Eastwood 6 Why did he make no attempt to take the free kick 5 mins from time from 35 yards out.Just jogged into the box!

Wonder if the rumour I heard today via his dad, that he is going on loan to Canvey is true?

Donnelly 6 Looked tidy, kept it simple, but accurate. Don't know if he will fill Tam's shoes but needs to be given a chance over spicer.

Thought we were dreadful in the first half.
Gillingham were stronger than us and won almost every header and crucially the 'second ball'.
Don't like pointing the finger at individuals , but Timlin had a shocking game IMO and I thought our midfield as a whole were not quite with it today ( tired ? , don't know ).
Prosser did quite well , and Hurst in patches , but don't think anyone else came up to their normal standards of performance.
Britt did not look fit to me.
Anyway , we've had a great run and now need to push on again after two slip ups.
We haven't become a poor team overnight.

Can accept us having the odd game where we don’t play well, what I will not accept is lack of effort, from start to finish there was only one team that really wanted it, Gillingham had the hunger, the passion and drive from the first second and we never recovered. As usual when we have a big crowd it’s an ideal opportunity to win them over, too many must have thought first and last time I go what a shame.
To the players please don’t clap me at the end, save your effort for the match to please me

Very harsh on Smith regarding not diving for the shot that hit the post, Prosser failed to get close enough to Burton then the ball was fired through his legs and also took a deflection off of them.

Sturrock should never have gambled with Assombalonga - he wasnt fit. Bazza won the toss and had us staring into the sun. Did Smith have a cap on first half? Goalkeepers should command their areas and exude confidence. Smith dosent. He cant help it, its just the way he is so we have to tolerate it because he is a good shot stopper. Wait a minute though. Bentley is a good shot stopper and commands his area and exudes confidence - something not right here.
Eastwood should have started. Got his usual 15 minutes and did good work. We would be praising his build up work and cross if Corr had converted. Corr should be behind Eastwood in the pecking order. Start Eastwood in all the cup games. Rest Assomba and Tomlin because the league is ultra important. This way we safeguard our starting strike pair and end up with a fit Eastwood.
Hurst was our best player and Barker and Assombalonga our worst today - though not Assombalongas fault. We also looked very jaded an Gillingham looked 100% fit. Donnely did well when he came on. Another Timlin by the looks of things.
So Sturrock got it wrong today. The crowd wanted Freddie on asap and we had to put up with the foulmeister Corr. Corr never got us out of this division last year, and he aint gonna do it this year. Its Freddie time. Swallow your pride Sturrock. Youre a very good manager but you are wrong on the Freddie Eastwood issue.

34hbc0k.png

snake 01012013.jpg

"So would you work 100% if u werent gettin paid on time?"

If I had 7500 people watching me, yes!

Here goes for the first match rating of 2013;

Entertaining game, but for all the wrong reasons. Gills were far the better team in the first half, and were unlucky to only be one up. We were better first 20 mins of second half, and had them rattled, but couldn't find the net . Gills can count themselves unlucky not to get a second in the second half when Weston (I think) hit the inside of the post.

As I said in another post, I wondered whether Legge would be signed in time to play, and his inclusion alongside Barret at centre half kept our lacklustre forwards at bay.

Smith; 5 Indecisive, could, and probably should have come for the goal. Lack of communication with back four meant that especially in the first half, we were all at sea. The second half strike that hit the post he just watched, and made no attempt to dive for, which was lucky, as he was then in the right place to collect the resulting rebound.

Clohessey 6 Better going forward than defending! got skinned a couple of times in first half (two games running now) and again in the second.

Cresswell 6 Seen him have better games, needs to keep it simple on a cutting up pitch. Had his hands full especially in first half.

Prosser 6.5 pick of the back four(just) didn't put a foot wrong.

Barker 6.5 The obvious lack of pace, was made up for by his reading of the game. One moment in the second half, where he lost a challenge, then made up 40 yards, and slid in to win the tackle shows a lot for his desire. Also, a good covering job for clohessey in the second half when he slipped.

Laird 6 Don't know whether it was a cut lip, that meant he didn't make the second half, but he got out-muscled a fair few times in the first anyway.

Makandawire 6 Too physical for him in the midfield. Looked like he didn't want to get injured before returning. When he did get time on the ball looked ok, but not often enough.

Timlin 5 Oh dear, not one of his better games. Everything he tried didn't come off. Sticky pitch didn't help his passing, nor his desire to try 40 yard passes too often. Tried to get himself booked for a lunge in the 90th minute when there was no need.

Hurst 6.5 MOM just. Looked the only player in the first half who had any control when on the ball. In the second, played central midfield, and I actually thought it suited his game better.

Tomlin 6 Struggled with balls played over his head in the first half, with the exception of one run, where he fed Britt. Played wider in a front three in the second without much joy.

Assombalonga 6 Looked like he was still carrying the injury a bit. Had a shot just over, but again service to him was poor.

Subs; Corr 6 Made a difference, and in fairness Luggy had to change something, and he gave Barrett and Legge something to think about at least. Although should have done better with the ball at his feet from 4 yards.

Eastwood 6 Why did he make no attempt to take the free kick 5 mins from time from 35 yards out.Just jogged into the box!

Pretty much as I saw it, Hurst and Prosser the best performers today. Laird and Clohessy had their second below par games running whilst Timlin was awful for his standards, he needs to stick to his energetic performance and forget these hollywood passes he all of a sudden thinks he can produce.

Corr caused problems but missed the best two chances for us and gives away too many free kicks.

I am not Smith bashing BUT he had confusion with Barker, Prosser then Cresswell....to me that is the same culprit, he somehow clawed away that lob too after hesitating and then finding himself out of position. Some will rant about him some will defend him just because, but for me the defence lacks trust in him and that was clear today

Its Freddie time. Swallow your pride Sturrock. Youre a very good manager but you are wrong on the Freddie Eastwood issue.

This

Fred needs a run of games to regain that match sharpness. He hasn't played regularly for ages, but even still he continues to show glimpses of what made him so exciting the first time around. Get the sharpness/confidence flowing & Eastwood will be a success, I have no doubt.

Gillingham raced out of the blocks and stunned us with an early goal. We looked a bit dazed and never really recovered until Sturrock had words at half time.

Smith..6 Made a couple of nice saves but I thought he looked indecisive again. Didn't seem to communicate with his defenders.
Clohessy...6 Great going forward, but didn't like getting pegged back.
Cresswell...6 looked a little nervy, but then they all did at the start.
Prosser...7 Had a good game. His passing is improving.
Barker...6.5 Used his experience and read the game well.
Laird...6 Never got going and took a nasty a clout in the mouth.
Makandawire...6.5 Did ok. Thanks for helping us out for a few months Tam.
Timlin...6 Very average. Seemed to get out muscled, as he did against Daggers. Had a better 2nd half though
Hurst...7.5 MOTM Best blues player on the pitch. Full of confidence. always wanted the ball. Put some nice crosses in.
Tomlin...6 Worked hard, but the service was mainly in the air.
Assombalonga...6 Didn't look fit. Not suited to aerial battles
Subs; Corr...6 Won a lot of headers, and caused Gills problems. Gave away some silly fouls and lost possession a few times aswell, though.
Eastwood...6 Some nice touches, but needs longer on the pitch. Hit one shot that landed in Southend Hospital Car Park
Donnelly...6.5 Looked a good little player. Looking forward to seeing more of him

So would you work 100% if u werent gettin paid on time?
Truth was we where awful the majority of the game.

Now need move on

• Yes as I know I will get the money very soon
  • Yes as I am a man with a pair of b******s and pride
  • Yes as you get out of life what you put in.
  • Yes as I don't spend my life looking for excuses

From a Professional Footballers perspective

• Yes as It's my job
  • Yes as I am a role model and idolised by hundreds/thousands
  • Yes as I will be paid soon, worst case by PFA
  • Yes as thousands give up their time, money to pay/watch my services
  • Yes as I am in the shop window to improve my career
  • Yes as I live a privileged life in a privileged profession

I have played football since I was 7 years old, so over twenty years. I was lucky enough to play at a fair standard (even getting paid for a couple of seasons) and played Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday and Sundays. This was in addition to my full time job when I was old enough, I made sacrifices and I did all this because I NEVER EVER gave less than 100% every time I trained or played football.

Whatever the circumstances, I always always gave 100% - these excuses of not being paid, or the poor players have 3 games in a week doesn't wash with me. They live a very privileged life where they are idolised and living the dreams of millions.

We saw too many excuses when Tilly and his 'troops' gave up all too easily in that last relegation whimper (I want say fight).

Sturrock should never have gambled with Assombalonga - he wasnt fit. Bazza won the toss and had us staring into the sun. Did Smith have a cap on first half? Goalkeepers should command their areas and exude confidence. Smith dosent. He cant help it, its just the way he is so we have to tolerate it because he is a good shot stopper. Wait a minute though. Bentley is a good shot stopper and commands his area and exudes confidence - something not right here.
Eastwood should have started. Got his usual 15 minutes and did good work. We would be praising his build up work and cross if Corr had converted. Corr should be behind Eastwood in the pecking order. Start Eastwood in all the cup games. Rest Assomba and Tomlin because the league is ultra important. This way we safeguard our starting strike pair and end up with a fit Eastwood.
Hurst was our best player and Barker and Assombalonga our worst today - though not Assombalongas fault. We also looked very jaded an Gillingham looked 100% fit. Donnely did well when he came on. Another Timlin by the looks of things.
So Sturrock got it wrong today. The crowd wanted Freddie on asap and we had to put up with the foulmeister Corr. Corr never got us out of this division last year, and he aint gonna do it this year. Its Freddie time. Swallow your pride Sturrock. Youre a very good manager but you are wrong on the Freddie Eastwood issue.

Bloody Hell did I just write this, totally 100% agree with this. If a know nothing sod like me can see that Britt was unfit why can't PS, I only saw him once in the first half ... this must be getting Freddy down.
I do get hack off with these people who say Eastwood did nothing today... how much time is he given each game.
Also please PS change the players quicker than you do, 5 or 10 mins insn't enough .... why not give them 15 mins into the second half then swap it about... if I was a sub, and saw a poor performance and wasn't given a look in, I should imagine my head would go down...... on reading Red Card Roy it's clear that this happens with players.

Back