• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0, Gillingham 1

While they are certainly a good side they weren't anywhere near as impressive as Port Vale for example. We battered the Gills at their place but couldn't score, today we were dreadful in the first half but well on top in the second. The difference was they took one of their chances while we didn't, and the reason we didn't is because their defenders threw themselves in the way of every clear chance we had - from Tam and Tomlin's close-range shots in the first half to Assombalonga's and Corr's in the second. If I remember correctly that's exactly why we didn't score in the game at Priestfield too. If they continue to do that they'll certainly be up there but champions? Not sure about that, I've seen better sides this season. Let's not forget that Gillingham have been on poor form lately and we'd been able to cut the gap to them by around 10+ points in the last 6 weeks before today. I strongly believe their freshness played a part this afternoon as some of our players looked knackered, let's see what the next couple of months brings. I believe we have enough about ourselves to be in or around the top 3 if we can suitably replace Tam.

I thought they were very good and effective, and made one of their promotion rivals (us) look very ordinary. They are a typical Martin Allen side, big, strong, powerful, hungry. Always harrying, closing down. And skilful player like Weston, Whelpdale and their no.17 to compliment the big powerful players in their side. They won almost every header, every second ball first half. They play direct, much like we did last year, and to good effect, but it's not pretty on the eye which may be why some say they aren't as good as side as say Port Vale, to watch maybe not, to get results against, they are the best in the league.

We only really got to them second half when we moved Tomlin out wide. He was receiving no service up front, once he was in a deeper position, he saw more of the ball and ran at them more, their big defenders who were moping up everything else (Legg was immense) hated this.

As we are playing a side from a division higher than us Saturday, there's a very real chance we could lose three on the bounce. It's really important the doom mongers don't start getting on the players backs and predicting a cataclysmic meltdown. We've still got a good squad with good players, and as long as we don't lose our heads they are still capable of doing the job.

Dissapointed to have lost today as i thought the players would have wanted to get back on winning trail.
Thats football so we move on.
I hope we get behind the team and manager i think if we do the supporters will be rewarded with promotion out of this league

Good post blue wes

True - also, aside from a late show from Rotherham, the results in and around us were quite favourable and kind today.

We are in a 'mini blip', lets keep it at that. We have two huge cup games coming up, I would gladly take one win from them games.

Whatever happens though, lets not forget what we were all saying 5 days ago, this is a 'team' who show passion, heart and have a great spirit. I would rather have this team than those of last year

Up the Blues

As we are playing a side from a division higher than us Saturday, there's a very real chance we could lose three on the bounce. It's really important the doom mongers don't start getting on the players backs and predicting a cataclysmic meltdown. We've still got a good squad with good players, and as long as we don't lose our heads they are still capable of doing the job.

Good post, forget that we beat Brentford in 'whatever that comp' is called these days. Saturdays game will be a completely different affair. Bentley and Eastwood should be given 90 mins saturday, and next tuesday at Oxford. So what if we lose. getting out of this division is the priority.
Apart from the elite in the Premiership, all clubs who go on a lengthy unbeaten run, very rarely repeat it afterwards. We've had our 'run' and now need to grind out around 3 wins from every 5 games to be 'in the frame' at the end of the season.

While they are certainly a good side they weren't anywhere near as impressive as Port Vale for example. We battered the Gills at their place but couldn't score, today we were dreadful in the first half but well on top in the second. The difference was they took one of their chances while we didn't, and the reason we didn't is because their defenders threw themselves in the way of every clear chance we had - from Tam and Tomlin's close-range shots in the first half to Assombalonga's and Corr's in the second. If I remember correctly that's exactly why we didn't score in the game at Priestfield too. If they continue to do that they'll certainly be up there but champions? Not sure about that, I've seen better sides this season. Let's not forget that Gillingham have been on poor form lately and we'd been able to cut the gap to them by around 10+ points in the last 6 weeks before today. I strongly believe their freshness played a part this afternoon as some of our players looked knackered, let's see what the next couple of months brings. I believe we have enough about ourselves to be in or around the top 3 if we can suitably replace Tam.

Spot on. Exactly as I saw it.

not specifically about the match but how rascal were the gillingham shirts?!?! why the hell did they have laces on them?!?!

It's a replica of their first ever shirt - it's their centenary.

Team looked very tired today; too many games over Christmas period. At least only one goal conceded and the appearance of Donnelly was positive. A game too far and with most other results going our way it wasn't too much of a disaster. Lets see what announcements are made re Prospects and have a week off from the league, re-group and come back refreshed against manager less Plymouth. UTB!

Agree that coupled with a very heavy pitch which compounded the problem. At least a few results went our way.

Team looked very tired today; too many games over Christmas period. At least only one goal conceded and the appearance of Donnelly was positive. A game too far and with most other results going our way it wasn't too much of a disaster. Lets see what announcements are made re Prospects and have a week off from the league, re-group and come back refreshed against manager less Plymouth. UTB!

Got two HUGE cup games and a long trip to Exeter away before we play Plymouth mate - no chance of a rest just yet!!!

About time Freddy was given a run of games. Give him the next two games against Brentford and Oxford.

Was really dissapointed today , not just because we lost but because we didnt show up. We were playing the champions elect at home infront of the biggest gate of the season and just choked.

First half was a real non event and the fact that gillingham came out like every martin allen side i have every seen did not surprise me one bit. Bit strong and very direct , but they have decent outlets in weston and burton who i thought tore us a new one at times.

We should have known what to expect and dealt with it.

We set up all wrong and were lucky to even be in the game at half time. Assombalonga clearly isnt fit and is lacking confidence in a big way and was a passenger today.

The thing that i think we need is a bit of pace out wide. Hurst and clohessy are our main outlets and predominantly play on the same side and dont have lightening pace. We were unable to pass our way through a very resalute gills team and plan b was worse than plan a.

We need to offload spicer martin and benyon and bring in a winger with pace to burn. Even a premier league youngster would be decent just to be able to get behind teams more.

We could have snatched a point today , but it would have been undeserved.

What worries me is like winning becomes a habit so does losing and with 2 now on the bounce and another 2 really tough games at home to brentford and away to exeter it could easily be 4 on the trot and we are not in a strong enough position to hang in the top 7 without those wins.

Still its not all doom and gloom as col u are floudering in league 1 after 7 defeats in a row.

First 35 minutes unacceptable. First 10 minutes embarrassing. Second half good. Could have won if we took our chances in the second half.

If Adam B did win the toss and force us to face that very bright and very low sun then it was extremely well-judged decision. Immediately the game started you could see that we looked very uncomfortable defending the away end. Arms were raised to shield eyes in the Blues defence. At one point in the first half Britt called to the bench for a cap for Smith but the call fell on deaf ears or was thought not important. (AB must have concluded that by the time Gills had to defend the away end the low sun would not be so much of a problem. In that he was only partially correct because the sun was still potentially difficult for the opening of the second half). Gills match report, linked above, correctly said we looked jittery early doors and it really was no surprise when Gills scored. Also as mentioned above, it must have been obvious, and thereby should have been talked about in the dressing room beforehand, that Gills would come hard at us straight from the off. So why was it that we looked like we were taken by surprise? Why were we not at them from the off? This aspect of our game always puzzles me.

The signing of Legge was significant because we played into Gills hands by pumping long balls at him. Little wonder that the now very rotund Martin Allen crowed about his new signing. He towered over Britt and Gav but did we learn? AB must have been loving it, having someone much taller than him to soak up the long balls. It would be very interesting to know about the decision to play Britt. Did he say he was fit to play because it was clear from very early on that he wasn't. Perhaps a double change at half-time would have been better, with both BC and Fred coming on.

In the second half Gills played into our hands by dropping deeper and deeper as the time slipped by, with Burton almost another midfielder, leaving Cressy time to get upfield. They should have paid for that but somehow we contrived not to score. BC did not look comfortable when in good positions but he must still be ring-rusty. On our second half showing it would have been no injustice for the game to finish all square.

Nice for AB to get a chance at the end to say a proper farewell to the fans. I think we have the better player in Cressy which is not to deny the immense contribution AB made in his days at The Hall.

And now Luggy really has set us thinking about a signing to plug the weakness he thinks we have in our team. My money would be on a speedy left side wide man, because he wants Timlin to spend more time in centre mid and in his view we are unbalanced at present. If so then it must be goodbye to Dave Martin. For whatever reason those Jan window buys did not work for Luggy last time. What will this year bring?

Spot on. Exactly as I saw it.

It's good to know there are others who thought the same, and from looking at the Bet365 stats from yeterday's game they also back up the fact that the game was very even on the whole. Both sides had 16 shots with just 3 on target each, while we had 12 corners to their 5. Not really indicative of a side who were battered, yet from the way some people are talking on here you'd think we didn't have a cat-in-hell's chance of promotion!

Gillingham were a pretty decent side who'll definitely be top 7 at worst but the likes of Port Vale (not seen a better side yet IMHO) and Bradford City impressed me more.....

If Adam B did win the toss and force us to face that very bright and very low sun then it was extremely well-judged decision. Immediately the game started you could see that we looked very uncomfortable defending the away end. Arms were raised to shield eyes in the Blues defence. At one point in the first half Britt called to the bench for a cap for Smith but the call fell on deaf ears or was thought not important. (AB must have concluded that by the time Gills had to defend the away end the low sun would not be so much of a problem. In that he was only partially correct because the sun was still potentially difficult for the opening of the second half). Gills match report, linked above, correctly said we looked jittery early doors and it really was no surprise when Gills scored. Also as mentioned above, it must have been obvious, and thereby should have been talked about in the dressing room beforehand, that Gills would come hard at us straight from the off. So why was it that we looked like we were taken by surprise? Why were we not at them from the off? This aspect of our game always puzzles me.

The signing of Legge was significant because we played into Gills hands by pumping long balls at him. Little wonder that the now very rotund Martin Allen crowed about his new signing. He towered over Britt and Gav but did we learn? AB must have been loving it, having someone much taller than him to soak up the long balls. It would be very interesting to know about the decision to play Britt. Did he say he was fit to play because it was clear from very early on that he wasn't. Perhaps a double change at half-time would have been better, with both BC and Fred coming on.

In the second half Gills played into our hands by dropping deeper and deeper as the time slipped by, with Burton almost another midfielder, leaving Cressy time to get upfield. They should have paid for that but somehow we contrived not to score. BC did not look comfortable when in good positions but he must still be ring-rusty. On our second half showing it would have been no injustice for the game to finish all square.

Nice for AB to get a chance at the end to say a proper farewell to the fans. I think we have the better player in Cressy which is not to deny the immense contribution AB made in his days at The Hall.

And now Luggy really has set us thinking about a signing to plug the weakness he thinks we have in our team. My money would be on a speedy left side wide man, because he wants Timlin to spend more time in centre mid and in his view we are unbalanced at present. If so then it must be goodbye to Dave Martin. For whatever reason those Jan window buys did not work for Luggy last time. What will this year bring?

Ricky Holmes please Luggy.....

Here goes for the first match rating of 2013;

Entertaining game, but for all the wrong reasons. Gills were far the better team in the first half, and were unlucky to only be one up. We were better first 20 mins of second half, and had them rattled, but couldn't find the net . Gills can count themselves unlucky not to get a second in the second half when Weston (I think) hit the inside of the post.

As I said in another post, I wondered whether Legge would be signed in time to play, and his inclusion alongside Barret at centre half kept our lacklustre forwards at bay.

Smith; 5 Indecisive, could, and probably should have come for the goal. Lack of communication with back four meant that especially in the first half, we were all at sea. The second half strike that hit the post he just watched, and made no attempt to dive for, which was lucky, as he was then in the right place to collect the resulting rebound.

Clohessey 6 Better going forward than defending! got skinned a couple of times in first half (two games running now) and again in the second.

Cresswell 6 Seen him have better games, needs to keep it simple on a cutting up pitch. Had his hands full especially in first half.

Prosser 6.5 pick of the back four(just) didn't put a foot wrong.

Barker 6.5 The obvious lack of pace, was made up for by his reading of the game. One moment in the second half, where he lost a challenge, then made up 40 yards, and slid in to win the tackle shows a lot for his desire. Also, a good covering job for clohessey in the second half when he slipped.

Laird 6 Don't know whether it was a cut lip, that meant he didn't make the second half, but he got out-muscled a fair few times in the first anyway.

Makandawire 6 Too physical for him in the midfield. Looked like he didn't want to get injured before returning. When he did get time on the ball looked ok, but not often enough.

Timlin 5 Oh dear, not one of his better games. Everything he tried didn't come off. Sticky pitch didn't help his passing, nor his desire to try 40 yard passes too often. Tried to get himself booked for a lunge in the 90th minute when there was no need.

Hurst 6.5 MOM just. Looked the only player in the first half who had any control when on the ball. In the second, played central midfield, and I actually thought it suited his game better.

Tomlin 6 Struggled with balls played over his head in the first half, with the exception of one run, where he fed Britt. Played wider in a front three in the second without much joy.

Assombalonga 6 Looked like he was still carrying the injury a bit. Had a shot just over, but again service to him was poor.

Subs; Corr 6 Made a difference, and in fairness Luggy had to change something, and he gave Barrett and Legge something to think about at least. Although should have done better with the ball at his feet from 4 yards.

Eastwood 6 Why did he make no attempt to take the free kick 5 mins from time from 35 yards out.Just jogged into the box!

Wonder if the rumour I heard today via his dad, that he is going on loan to Canvey is true?

Donnelly 6 Looked tidy, kept it simple, but accurate. Don't know if he will fill Tam's shoes but needs to be given a chance over spicer.

Sounds like excellent keeping to me. What's the point in diving for a ball you can't reach and then being out of the game when it rebounds off the post. As a keeper you're told to always be on your feet. Futile dives might look good for the camera but you then can't deal with a rebound. Smith takes care to know where he's positioned and as a pro keeper I'm sure he can easily judge if a ball is going to hit the post or if he can't reach it.

Well done Smithy :clap:

I thought they were very good and effective, and made one of their promotion rivals (us) look very ordinary. They are a typical Martin Allen side, big, strong, powerful, hungry. Always harrying, closing down. And skilful player like Weston, Whelpdale and their no.17 to compliment the big powerful players in their side. They won almost every header, every second ball first half. They play direct, much like we did last year, and to good effect, but it's not pretty on the eye which may be why some say they aren't as good as side as say Port Vale, to watch maybe not, to get results against, they are the best in the league.

We only really got to them second half when we moved Tomlin out wide. He was receiving no service up front, once he was in a deeper position, he saw more of the ball and ran at them more, their big defenders who were moping up everything else (Legg was immense) hated this.

I think the difference was more that Corr held the ball up top. Even when he didn't win the headers he made sure that the likes of Legge weren't getting a clean header so that the second ball dropped to us.

Neither Tomlin and Assombalonga looked fully fit to me. Both looked sluggish. In contrast, Birchill gave Cresswell the run around like Assombalonga and Tomlin were doing to opposition defences before Christmas. Had Tomlin and Assombalonga been getting to those balls first and making Legge contest those headers, like they were doing before Christmas, we'd have looked a lot better passing side.

I'm really concerned about Saturday, because Brentford are a good side in good form (albeit a good side in good form that we deservedly managed to beat a month or so ago) and we all know how fickle the Roots Hall crowd is. Three defeats on the spin is going to make this place unbearable - I've already seen Wiggy make a re-appearance. Confidence and momentum is so important at this level so I hope, against expectation, that the crowd are supportive the next few games.

On the positive I thought Prosser was immense, Smith pulled off some fine saves, Corr added an extra dimension (even if his finishing didn't) and even Eastwood had his most effective appearance in his last dozen or so.

Come on people, we started poorly, slowly improved and should have got a point.
There was a strong 15 minute spell with lots of corners and deflections/blocks that didn't go our way.
If we had a break and got the goal WE were the team more likely to have gone on to then win the game.

Ok it wasn't a good display but we will play better and we will win again..............soon!

Back