• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

amsemp

Director⭐
Just going to throw it out there. When we were due to be wound up previously with a £2mil+ tax bill, there was a consortium of local business men, all Southend fans, who wanted to buy the club for a quid and take on the all the debts?

Anyone know if they are still kicking around? Seems like the ideal situation for all involved, except Ron Martin, who is still trying to hold out for his big payout off the new stadium which seems a distant memory/pipe dream!

Well fortunately, the current outstanding tax bill is a snip of the one you mention. Another winding up petition, but one I am sure we will settle with a magic pot of gold shortly.

I do fear there are more in the pipeline though...

They wanted the property development themselves. They may or may not have been able to move the process along quicker but they certainly were not coming in to chuck money at us but did try and cheekily get hold of a big property deal on the cheap. Ron said no they went away.

They wanted the property development themselves. They may or may not have been able to move the process along quicker but they certainly were not coming in to chuck money at us but did try and cheekily get hold of a big property deal on the cheap. Ron said no they went away.

Actually he didn't say no,he refused to speak to them at all...As it was mooted at the time. it was never RM that got planning from the council at the time it was the fans that supported it the council backed..

WE the fans gave him this property deal......I hardly think it was cheeky to offer even a pound for something that was already bankrupt in the first place.

Having said that, Who knows where or what would of happened had they taken control.

By accepting £1 he would have saved millions. Might be making this up, but were Eddie Stobart not interested in acquiring the club at the same time they took over the airport?

Last edited:
By accepting £1 he would have saved millions. Might be making this up, but we're Eddie Stobart not interested in acquiring the club at the same time they took over the airport?

Whose Millions?

Queue comments along the lines of........there is no one else who would take over Southend United. Ron Martin has been owner of the club for over 100 years. There is categorically no other option and never will be, i have asked every person on the planet so i know and Ron is doing a fantastic job anyway :winking:

pity our town council cant do what colchesters and back the stadium with funds not ask for compsation because of retail element, like they wont charge rates, council want win, win, how about help the club the towns club

pity our town council cant do what colchesters and back the stadium with funds not ask for compsation because of retail element, like they wont charge rates, council want win, win, how about help the club the towns club

Swansea council welcomed the new stadium with open arms and look at them now. Can anyone who works for Southend council honestly say hand on heart that Swansea FC being where they are now has not drastically improved the profile of Swansea as a city and brought in a huge amount of revenue, tourism and jobs? It baffles me that we have to constantly battle them over it.

Swansea council welcomed the new stadium with open arms and look at them now. Can anyone who works for Southend council honestly say hand on heart that Swansea FC being where they are now has not drastically improved the profile of Swansea as a city and brought in a huge amount of revenue, tourism and jobs? It baffles me that we have to constantly battle them over it.

What battle have the council EVER put up, they have agreed with every single thing up to now. The project has stalled, changed or been altered by RM at every stage of the procedure on his terms since the original full planning permission was granted.

so very true

so very true

What battle have the council EVER put up, they have agreed with every single thing up to now. The project has stalled, changed or been altered by RM at every stage of the procedure on his terms since the original full planning permission was granted.

As per Cricko's comment Southend Council has backed the club right up until now. It was RM that originally offered the £6m funds. This is a private development I don't think RM would want the Council to back the ground with any funds, he wants it all under his control.

This was raised a while ago about the council. They unanimously agreed to the stadium and the only reason it hasnt been built is because we havent been able to afford to build what we asked for.

Thats not the fault of the council.

You can tell by the way Sainsburys are dragging there feet over the college that there is little confidence in Ron delivering even now.

Was there not a rumour going round that the fella who owns Super Pizza wasn't agreeing to leave the premises which was holding everything up?

Funny you mention this, came up in the Paper's over here recently..

http://www.thisissouthwales.co.uk/S...tory-17767743-detail/story.html#axzz2LL2FlGwu

Was there not a rumour going round that the fella who owns Super Pizza wasn't agreeing to leave the premises which was holding everything up?
I don't think so, yes, he's not co-operating but I think it was stated that it would go to CPO, which, again, should be a formality.

You can tell by the way Sainsburys are dragging there feet over the college that there is little confidence in Ron delivering even now.

Not really. They're just being sensible. There's no point in agreeing a deal with Prospects if the council then don't agree to the new proposal. It would just be a waste of time.

I don't think so, yes, he's not co-operating but I think it was stated that it would go to CPO, which, again, should be a formality.

Formality? Maybe. Time consuming? Yes. It would be easier to deal with him direct. I wonder how much of this is his intransigence, and how much is RM not having a clue how to deal with him...

Back