• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

A lot of it is pot luck really. They gave Rowett his first job and he has been cracking. We blooded Alvin Martin and Rob Newman and, err... they weren't. We got lucky with Tilly, but not too many first-timers succeed.

I personally think we will promote Coughlan.

Gary Megson
Nigel Adkins
Owen Coyle
Peter Reid
Peter Taylor :whistling:
Paul Clark
Alan Devonshire

Being a time since we changed managers...........is that when the members of the board are locked in a room in the East Stand and a chimney is errected so all the supporters assembled on the carpark await with excitement and anticipation for a decision to be made? Black smoke indicates that the more ridiculous of the job applications have been burnt and eventual white smoke tells the Southend United believing world, that another leader has been chosen...................HOLD ON A MINUTE our one hasn't resigned yet!

Two pages of half-hearted jokes about everyone from Ron Atkinson to Peter Taylor (God help us). May it be the case that this isn't really the time?

Please contact Mr Abramovich for advice on treatment for repetitive strain on those jerking knees. You don't want to be limping at Wembley.

A lot of it is pot luck really. They gave Rowett his first job and he has been cracking. We blooded Alvin Martin and Rob Newman and, err... they weren't. We got lucky with Tilly, but not too many first-timers succeed.

I personally think we will promote Coughlan.

Would that be the same Rob Newman who won xactly 50% of the bread-and-butter home league games whilst in charge as against the 43.75% home win ratio of a certain Mr Sturrock?

Rob Newman at home: Played 36 W 18 D 5 L 13
Paul Sturrock at home: Played 64 W 28 D 18 L 18

Maybe had Sturrock matched Newman's home record we might have been promoted automatically last season and be in the play-off spots this. However, he hasn't!

Ill be happy with any manager who doesnt believe in hoofing to get promoted.

Would that be the same Rob Newman who won xactly 50% of the bread-and-butter home league games whilst in charge as against the 43.75% home win ratio of a certain Mr Sturrock?

Rob Newman at home: Played 36 W 18 D 5 L 13
Paul Sturrock at home: Played 64 W 28 D 18 L 18

Maybe had Sturrock matched Newman's home record we might have been promoted automatically last season and be in the play-off spots this. However, he hasn't!

He hasn't. Fortunately however, some games are occasionally played away.

Ill be happy with any manager who doesnt believe in hoofing to get promoted.
Sturrock plays percentages because he's got a relatively small budget. It's all very well playing lovely incisive attacking football if you have the players with the talent to do it. However, the lion's share of League Two sides do not have this luxury.

I don't think they style has been particularly bad this year, but you'll always have the likes of Prosser who are more comfortable just clearing their lines rather than trying to pick a pass.

I didn't say our home record wasn't poor. It is woeful. The discussion was about blooding new managers and Newman was, overall, a poor manager.

Pointless thread imho. We haven't got a pot to **** in, so can't release Sturrock until the end of the season I suspect, and we are hardly going to be able to pay for a decent replacement, so it will almost certainly go to Coughlan.

How often does the assistant step into the role of manager though, maybe i'm wrong but it usually seems to me that when the manager is sacked or leaves then his 'team' including assistant go with them.

Pointless thread imho. We haven't got a pot to **** in, so can't release Sturrock until the end of the season I suspect, and we are hardly going to be able to pay for a decent replacement, so it will almost certainly go to Coughlan.

I agree 100% with the above!

Gary Megson
Nigel Adkins
Owen Coyle
Peter Reid
Peter Taylor :whistling:
Paul Clark
Alan Devonshire

Great shout, he has done a cracking Job at Braintree on a very tough budget, would love to see him have a go here, also speaks his mind, i love listening to bbc essex after they have lost!! :smile:

Great shout, he has done a cracking Job at Braintree on a very tough budget, would love to see him have a go here, also speaks his mind, i love listening to bbc essex after they have lost!! :smile:

He just sounds like the archetypal non-league Essex club manager. Amongst his quotes (has to be said in a mockney, moving your head from side-to-side manner) are: "Yeah, Deano's Deano. You know what yer gonna get from Deano"

How often does the assistant step into the role of manager though, maybe i'm wrong but it usually seems to me that when the manager is sacked or leaves then his 'team' including assistant go with them.

Wasn't Di Matteo assistant when AVB was Chelsea manager?

Usually if a manager leaves and a new one comes in, he would prefer to have people he can trust.

He just sounds like the archetypal non-league Essex club manager. Amongst his quotes (has to be said in a mockney, moving your head from side-to-side manner) are: "Yeah, Deano's Deano. You know what yer gonna get from Deano"

Tilson’s interviews were awful too, but it didn’t stop him doing a good job.

I’d be happy with Devonshire.

Reminds me of Danny Dyers more ****-er-nee Dad would really not want to listen to him anymore than I need too. "Know what I mean Geeza".

Back