• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Winkle

Manager
I am a tilsonite and have never hid that fact but talk of removing luggy from his job is just crazy. He is exactly what we need at the moment to try and get us up the league, an experienced manager who has been there seen it and done it. Sure I question somethings he does and don't particulary like his style of football but with the resources and the injuries he has had to deal with could anyone else have done any better?

You can be a Tilsonite and a Luggyite. I am. It's been nearly ten years since we had a bad manager.

Loved Tilly but not sure he is really what we need. Didnt do much at Lincoln and I think sometimes its not a good idea to go back. I am happy to call for some fresh thinking and I think he may get better results out of Freddy than we are currently seeing (wont be hard as we never see him) but all in I really think its time for some fresh blood not just falling back on old ideas.

Agreed. It wouldn't matter who we had at the helm, there would always be times when we, as fans, would 'cry foul', but Luggy is doing the best he can with what he has at his disposal (and with constraints we may not be aware of) and hopefully has the respect and connections to get us the best he can. But as I have said on another post, I fear Ron's desires may see Luggy leave us.

I've a feeling we'll see Luggy leave at the end of this season through his own wishes tbh. I could be wrong, and I've nothing to back this up, but I'm wondering if he's finding it a strain coping with managing a club and his illness. It's a question only he can really answer. If not, and he can fully focus on the task in hand, then I think we'll struggle to find a better manager at our level (and with our problems).

As for Tilly, absolute club legend. Would I want him back? To be honest he had his faults as a tactician, and has been found out elsewhere, but I wouldn't rule out him being a success were he to return to us. Mind you, as long as Ron's in charge, that's not going to happen.

I think Luggy has done a fantastic job under the conditions he has been placed.

I do wonder though how a team can do so well on a Saturday and so abysmally some 96 hours later, I just don't geddit.

I do not want tilson back, I am just saying even if we was to change the manager, who could do any better with what we have available?

I think Luggy has done a fantastic job under the conditions he has been placed.

I do wonder though how a team can do so well on a Saturday and so abysmally some 96 hours later, I just don't geddit.

Think a poor formation choice considering we were at home to a bottom side is quite a big factor. The side on paper lacked almost any creativity.

Think a poor formation choice considering we were at home to a bottom side is quite a big factor. The side on paper lacked almost any creativity with a midfield three of Lund (defensive) Leonard (utility) and Spillane (joker).

As a Luggyite I tend to share Crabby Shrimpers view that he may well leave at the end of this season of his own volition. I have stated the view, sometime earlier, of the consequences of us not getting promotion. I fear that some of our better players (Clohessy, Hurst, Cresswell) may find teams in League One coming in for them and I would think it even less likely that Mkandawire, Reeves or even Lund would sign up with a League Two side next season. Would Luggy be in for the long haul of virtually rebuilding a side on shoestring yet again in the summer???................sadly, I have my doubts.
Would he be pushed?..........well, that's an interesting question. How would Ron Martin view a season where, although promotion success again eludes the club, progress in the JPT has led to us financially 'balancing our books' (according to Ron). Is that a successful year? (It isn't for me........give me promotion over a JPT Final any day)

Think a poor formation choice considering we were at home to a bottom side is quite a big factor. The side on paper lacked almost any creativity with a midfield three of Lund (defensive) Leonard (utility) and Spillane (joker).

I can understand sticking with the same side that did so well on Saturday at Vale Park, it sounded like it just required far more efficacy from the likes of Hurst and Assombalonga, with the latter in particular seemingly become increasingly disinterested in being here. Sturrock did switch to 4-4-2 early on, but that didn't change our fortunes. The only thing I tend to disagree with is Corr's absence from the starting line-up, as I'd value him to be a much better option than Mohsni in attack.

For me at least, the centre midfield has been the root cause of all of our problems ever since the trio of Laird, Timlin and Mkandawire succumbed to injuries and were sent back to their parent clubs. We've lost our ability to control the game as a result. We saw far more of the ball and were much better with it when those three were in the side. It's not that the reserves we've drafted in aren't good enough either, they just don't fit the specific roles that the preceding three did and we subsequently lack the balance we once had.

I think the main difference between this season and last season was that we were playing hoof ball and looking pretty solid at the back and winning but this season we're playing hoof ball and losing and letting countless sloppy goals in.

I can understand sticking with the same side that did so well on Saturday at Vale Park, it sounded like it just required far more efficacy from the likes of Hurst and Assombalonga, with the latter in particular seemingly become increasingly disinterested in being here. Sturrock did switch to 4-4-2 early on, but that didn't change our fortunes. The only thing I tend to disagree with is Corr's absence from the starting line-up, as I'd value him to be a much better option than Mohsni in attack.

For me at least, the centre midfield has been the root cause of all of our problems ever since the trio of Laird, Timlin and Mkandawire succumbed to injuries and were sent back to their parent clubs. We've lost our ability to control the game as a result. We saw far more of the ball and were much better with it when those three were in the side. It's not that the reserves we've drafted in aren't good enough either, they just don't fit the specific roles that the preceding three did and we subsequently lack the balance we once had.

If you were Neale Ardley last night and you looked at our side who are you scared off. Britt is he can get behind his man (only done that twice in sixteen games), Hurst if he can get a cross (but of course no Barry Corr to hit) or Moshni if he can be arsed. The other eight players are going to create zero threat (possible exception of Sean C) so he has half an eye on going forward before the game starts. He should be on the back foot.

The way we were set up with three totally defensive midfielders we were never going to create much.

If you were Neale Ardley last night and you looked at our side who are you scared off. Britt is he can get behind his man (only done that twice in sixteen games), Hurst if he can get a cross (but of course no Barry Corr to hit) or Moshni if he can be arsed. The other eight players are going to create zero threat (possible exception of Sean C) so he has half an eye on going forward before the game starts. He should be on the back foot.

The way we were set up with three totally defensive midfielders we were never going to create much.

But who else do we have in midfield that's available and could've changed that? The other midfielders on the bench last night were Woodyard, who's not creative, and Spicer, who's effectively an outcast we haven't been able to get rid of. We could've perhaps moved Hurst inside and had Corr as our main target, with Assombalonga and Mohsni working around him, but other than that we aren't exactly blessed with options. I'm not doubting that last night's midfield was too defensive and was culpable for the result, but it's not as if we had many options otherwise.

I remember it being said at the time that people who may have doubted Timlin's use to the side would see it through his absence, and that's only been enforced with the poor midfield displays we've witnessed since his legbreak. We don't have anybody else with the drive and tenacity to take a game by the scruff of the neck. How many games have we actually won without Timlin's involvement this season now?

But who else do we have in midfield that's available and could've changed that? The other midfielders on the bench last night were Woodyard, who's not creative, and Spicer, who's effectively an outcast we haven't been able to get rid of. We could've perhaps moved Hurst inside and had Corr as our main target, with Assombalonga and Mohsni working around him, but other than that we aren't exactly blessed with options. I'm not doubting that last night's midfield was too defensive and was culpable for the result, but it's not as if we had many options otherwise.

I remember it being said at the time that people who may have doubted Timlin's use to the side would see it through his absence, and that's only been enforced with the poor midfield displays we've witnessed since his legbreak. We don't have anybody else with the drive and tenacity to take a game by the scruff of the neck.

We are at home to a side that has let in the 2nd most goals away from home in the league. Do you really need three holding players (Leonard is in no way a winger). What is wrong with taking it to them a bit baring in mind how much we need a win.

----------------Smith-----------------
Clohessey-----Cresswell--Prosser---Straker
Hurst ----- Lund ---- Spillane - Moshni or Mayor
--------2 from Britt / Barry Corr / Freddy even Harris------

That way you have Hurst, Moshni, and two from three strikers that all offer a threat. Had it been Gillingham at home I can see the need to keep it steady.

We clearly lack Laird, Timlin or Tam but given what we had we set up basically the same as we did for Port Vale away and this was very much a different challenge.

We are at home to a side that has let in the 2nd most goals away from home in the league. Do you really need three holding players (Leonard is in no way a winger). What is wrong with taking it to them a bit baring in mind how much we need a win.

----------------Smith-----------------
Clohessey-----Cresswell--Prosser---Straker
Hurst ----- Lund ---- Spillane - Moshni or Mayor
--------2 from Britt / Barry Corr / Freddy even Harris------

That way you have Hurst, Moshni, and two from three strikers that all offer a threat. Had it been Gillingham at home I can see the need to keep it steady.

We clearly lack Laird, Timlin or Tam but given what we had we set up basically the same as we did for Port Vale away and this was very much a different challenge.

As I said, I can understand Sturrock persisting with the system that worked at Vale given that it's a rare treat for us to be able to field the same eleven two games on the spin this season. Cliché perhaps, but it's rare that a manager would change a winning team and Sturrock did switch to 4-4-2 when it became evident that the 4-5-1 wasn't working. Where it falls down is the continued altering to try and get into the game (I don't agree with this, we should've stuck with a system the players were familiar with).

Was Mayor available last night? I don't personally like Mohsni on the wing, I feel it negates his best attributes and he's not inclined to travel with the ball. Had Barker or another CB been available, Straker could've been moved to the left wing, with Mohsni able to feed off the supply of two wingers. I do fail to understand Corr's omission though, but if he's not 100% and Mohsni is, then it's understandable.

It's a difficult situation to manage, as our selection is largely being dictated by injuries and availability. Reeves is another understated miss given his ability to play in a few positions and if his Twitter feed's to be believed and he'll be available again on Saturday, then that's further creativity injected into the squad. I'm guessing we'll see a completely changed system against Torquay, perhaps with both Corr and Harris involved.

If Reeves is indeed available, then I'd line up like this -

Smith
Clohessy
Cresswell
Prosser
Straker
Lund
Spillane
Hurst
Reeves
Harris
Corr

4-2-3-1, with Hurst, Reeves and Harris operating behind Corr with Hurst and Reeves encouraged to work the channels if necessary, and Harris feeding off Corr and vice versa. Mohsni and Assomablonga on the bench to inject some urgency if the need arises.

Back