• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Is Brown The Right Man for the Job

• Total voters

tommy tucker

Manager
I don't know about you but with 4 games to go before the end of the season .I am already beginning to wonder if Ron Martin hasn't made a very bad mistake bringing this man on board .I hope im wrong and come the new season he brings in fresh faces that revive our play .But already ive been hearing folk questioning his team selections and his style of play .Still only time will tell . We all new Sturrock had muted he was to leave in the summer maybe Ron should have held fire until then .

Wrong bloke useless tosser in my opinion , Sturrock should still be here the players just dont care for Brown i imagine they think he is a nob

Wrong bloke useless tosser in my opinion , Sturrock should still be here the players just dont care for Brown i imagine they think he is a nob

And from what I've seen at home since Christmas, they obviously didn't care for Sturrock too much either

The reason for bringing in a manager now is so he gets a chance to look at the players and decide who he wants and who he gets rid off. If we had waited until the end of a season no manager would be able to judge these players until August, which is way too late and means we could have ended up with a lot of this tosh next season

The play-offs were over weeks ago, he's been brought in for next season, so I'll judge him then

To early to judge him he has only been here 4 games for goodness sake give the guy I chance.

I was gutted that PS got the boot before the end of the season but it's done now!!! Lets at least get behind the guy and see how things pan out, hopefully now are chances of playoffs are more or less over we will see some fringe players and youngsters get some game time

I am totally unconvinced by Phil Brown, I always thought he was a bit of a **** before he came here and he's done nothing to change my mind since. He seems to contradict himself in interviews, first he was impressed with the quality in the squad then was saying we lacked quality in the final 3rd (errr Assombalonga, Tomlin & Corr all in double figures), then saying that at Wembley he had no regrets over team selection to one interview and that he may have got it wrong to another. On top of that the awful team selection at Wembley, how on earth did he think Mohsni would be a good choice, did he have his eyes closed at the Fleetwood match? I'm sorry but I don't buy this stuff about you can't expect him to turn things around without his own players. When a new manager comes in you expect a bit of a 'bounce', Southend have arguably got worse. Take a look at when Tilson joined, the players weren't his, yet he got 3 wins in his first 4 games. I am normally Mr Positivity, always willing to give players & managers a chance, believing that they can turn things around. I had that faith in Tilson, I had that faith in Sturrock, I believe there is enough talent in this squad to play considerably better than they are (evidence? the first half of the season) but I do not believe Brown has that ability, I just get a bad feeling in my gut.

Drastic™;1517393 said:
I am totally unconvinced by Phil Brown, I always thought he was a bit of a **** before he came here and he's done nothing to change my mind since. He seems to contradict himself in interviews, first he was impressed with the quality in the squad then was saying we lacked quality in the final 3rd (errr Assombalonga, Tomlin & Corr all in double figures), then saying that at Wembley he had no regrets over team selection to one interview and that he may have got it wrong to another. On top of that the awful team selection at Wembley, how on earth did he think Mohsni would be a good choice, did he have his eyes closed at the Fleetwood match? I'm sorry but I don't buy this stuff about you can't expect him to turn things around without his own players. When a new manager comes in you expect a bit of a 'bounce', Southend have arguably got worse. Take a look at when Tilson joined, the players weren't his, yet he got 3 wins in his first 4 games. I am normally Mr Positivity, always willing to give players & managers a chance, believing that they can turn things around. I had that faith in Tilson, I had that faith in Sturrock, I believe there is enough talent in this squad to play considerably better than they are (evidence? the first half of the season) but I do not believe Brown has that ability, I just get a bad feeling in my gut.
All very good points, totally agree

Drastic™;1517393 said:

With you 100%, as you say gut feeling he's not right for SUFC

I don't say give the guy a chance .Yes in the new season we will see what he has to offer but by Christmas if he gets it wrong we could be cast adrift at the bottom .But at the other side of the coin we could be flying high . 10 weeks is all he would get from me .NOVEMBER at best by then we should all know where we stand .

I believed that changing the Manager with 7/8 games to go was Wrong thing to do and posted on here saying so. Bringing a new Manager in can work both ways, either winning our last games with momentum behind us making the playoffs or Inconsitant form and our season petering out to a big bowl of nothing which I feel the latter is doing. However I feel that to talk of removing Brown after 4 games is nonesense and he must be given time to assess the squad and stamp his own managerial plan onto the players that he feels can offer something to his playing style and team. To play Bilel in central Midfield clearly did not work on Sunday or against fleetwood but I can see the reasons behind him doing it as bilel definatly has the ability but I am not sure whether he has the dicipline. Its something luggy probably considered after spending time looking at the players he had but never pursued, the same time that Phil Browns needs.

I don't know about you but with 4 games to go before the end of the season .I am already beginning to wonder if Ron Martin hasn't made a very bad mistake bringing this man on board .I hope im wrong and come the new season he brings in fresh faces that revive our play .But already ive been hearing folk questioning his team selections and his style of play .Still only time will tell . We all new Sturrock had muted he was to leave in the summer maybe Ron should have held fire until then .

Why wait until the Summer. If everyone know that Sturrock was leaving in the Summer why not start re-building ASAP. Apart from being (apparently) a nice man I'm not bothered he is leaving. Those 3 home games against Wimbledon, Torquay and Plymouth will haunt me for a long time. He had to go and my only question is why not sooner?

As for Brown its impossible to judge on 4 games if he is the right man or not. I'll pass judgement around November.

For the first time I am on the verge of tears for my team this morning. After over 50 years of loyal support I just cannot see where we are heading. I am fearful for our survival and my optimism is crumbling. I really don't think the managerial position is significant here, more the actual survival of the club. I know we have been in 'tight' spots before but this is something else. Please prove me wrong but the next 12 months will be make or break for our beloved Club.

He should obviously be given a chance and judged on his squad for next season.

Having said that - the wholly unjustified attitude of so many Shrimpers that were biased against PB from the very start? I fear he will not be given a decent crack at the whip.
Being northern and having a tan? I don't give a damn as long as he gives his best for Southend United. A few on here obviously care more about slagging a northen accent and heavy tan than wishing a newcomer well at Southend United!!

He should obviously be given a chance and judged on his squad for next season.

Having said that - the wholly unjustified attitude of so many Shrimpers that were biased against PB from the very start? I fear he will not be given a decent crack at the whip.
Being northern and having a tan? I don't give a damn as long as he gives his best for Southend United. A few on here obviously care more about slagging a northen accent and heavy tan than wishing a newcomer well at Southend United!!

If he wins games he will get a decent crack, if he doesnt then he will get slated.

No point judging him now as he hasnt had any change to make any changes to a squad that was already poor, but if after 5 or 6 games next year we are in the bottom half then serious questions need to be asked. The whole point of Sturrock going was because we werent in the top 7, if Brown doesnt achieve that next year he too will have failed his objective.

Back