• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Newport

Napster

No ⭐
Good win last night in the play off semi first leg for Justin Edinburgh's team.

Still think he would have been better bet than Brown

Still think he would have been better bet than Brown[/QUOTE

Agreed
I reckon Newport would give our lot a decent game and probably win.

Still think he would have been better bet than Brown

:soapbox: Preach on Napster. Odds on Newport finishing above Southend next season?

Yes and our loanee youngster to Newport Alex Gilbey got MOTM he is a great prospect at 18 who is going to be a very good midfielder along with Drey Wright (Son of Jermaine Wright) who at just 17 years of age has already played 21 1st team games for us our new academy is going to turn up some real gems over the next few years.

Yes and our loanee youngster to Newport Alex Gilbey got MOTM he is a great prospect at 18 who is going to be a very good midfielder along with Drey Wright (Son of Jermaine Wright) who at just 17 years of age has already played 21 1st team games for us our new academy is going to turn up some real gems over the next few years.

I think I read somewhere that you are registered as a category 2 academy, is that right?

Yes it is we have great facilities now at Florence park Tiptree lots of coaches and support staff etc, there are some very good players in the background at present the idea is we can produce some decent players for us and of course in the end many will leave for bigger clubs where hopefully we will make a decent profit!

You'll need to sell them on as from what I read on the EPPP is that investment for category 2 clubs are around the million pound a year mark. A bit random, but didn't you have someone with last name Coke who was meant to be one to look out for?

You'll need to sell them on as from what I read on the EPPP is that investment for category 2 clubs are around the million pound a year mark. A bit random, but didn't you have someone with last name Coke who was meant to be one to look out for?

Yes it is about a million pounds a season but much of that comes from grants etc, the real cost is getting the facilities in the 1st place, not sure who you mean we have several decent young players at youth level at present but I dont recall the name Coke.

Yes it is about a million pounds a season but much of that comes from grants etc, the real cost is getting the facilities in the 1st place, not sure who you mean we have several decent young players at youth level at present but I dont recall the name Coke.

I haven't researched it much so didn't know how much came from grants and the like. Just remembered his name, Ben Coker was one of them and Tom Bender was another, but this could have been a couple of years ago now!

I haven't researched it much so didn't know how much came from grants and the like. Just remembered his name, Ben Coker was one of them and Tom Bender was another, but this could have been a couple of years ago now!

I remembered last night it was Ben Coker but he was not part of our youth set up we bought him in from Bury Town on a free. He was recommended to us by Richard Wilkins one of our old players who is now manager of Bury he is a full back/winger, initially he did well for us and in his 1st season (2010) he got young player of the year. He was a bit lightweight for the football legue so we put him through his paces in the gym to bulk him up a bit, this seemed to work but his performances were starting to fall away and he lost his place in the side. He was loaned out to a few clubs such as Chelmsford and Histon but after 2 years at Colchester Jod Dunne released him in Feb this year because his contract was not going to be renewed, he went back to Histon where I think he is still playing. He is still only 23 so could come back again with another club he is a decent player but I feel more suited to a midfield/winger position.

Tom Bender was with us for several years and did come through our academy Joe surprisingly released him this year, he only played 1 game for us and that was when he was 16, he is a Welsh international at under under 15/16/17/19/21, he went out on loan to a few clubs before being released, many were surprised he was let go but Joe thought he would not get in our team because we had better players than him in the central defenders position. As soon as we released him Millwall snapped him up on a years contract I suspect our loss could be thier gain!

Back