• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

danburyshrimper

Manager
Enjoyed the match last night , it was a very entertaining evening + well worth the tenner admission.

But some of the decisions by our management team was ridiculous. We had 2 of our trialists who must wonder why they wasted their time coming to the club. Firstly Don Cowan , a lightening fast striker. We desperately need a striker. What did Brown do? Played him wide midfield. He spent half the match tracking back the superb talent in Jordan Spence and we barely saw Cowan in forward positions. For what its worth Cowan battled really well but understandably became frustrated + took a few knocks during his many tackles he was making. What we dont need is yet another right midfielder, what we do need is a striker to join the lethargic + sluggish Eastwood + Corr ( which brings me to why the hell did Corr play 89 minutes when he was blatantly feeling his hamstrings after 40 mins?? .. if he is out injured for saturday i'll be spitting feathers that Corr was forced to carry on last night)
Which brings me to Bennet. In our squad we have Prosser,Straker,Barker, and recently signed Coker+White. I would say we have more left backs than Ron Martin has unpaid bills (well maybe not) So why the hell did we play Bennett at left back for 90 minutes. If he is on trial as a centre back why not play him there? We learnt nothing about those 2 trialists what a total waste of time.The positions we glaringly lack is down the spine of the team... Brown,Penney+Coughlin must have 2000 league games under their belt between them but it makes you wonder what planet they are on !!!!!!!!

i thought the strong tacking Clifford is worth another look ( he'll get plenty of red cards unless he learns not to lunge) + Thompson was very quick in thought at the back. Jack Payne showed some nice touches + great skills but not sure how he would fit into our team. Pinnock is rusty but looks a great prospect. Bentley made a few errors which he got away with but made up for it with some spectacular saves.

But the stand out player for us again was Ryan Auger. What an outstanding , asssured , clever player he is. He plays with confidence + composure of a player with 200 games under his belt + i would feel totally comfortable if he plays in the 1st team right now. His distribution is quality + he actually pings the ball on the ground , no hoofs. His running off the ball is excellent. This kid is certainly 1 to watch , i just hope we dont waste his talents kicking his heels in the reserves.

Well, to the positives first - we seem to have up to 4 youngsters who may make the grade. Clearly that is good but it will take some careful management to bring them through this season whilst having the experience and guile of older professionals around them.

And yes, not for the first time I am baffled as to how the club seems to have multiple options at some positions ..... and none in others. This must be "custom and practice" of the black art of team management as this has happened in the past with Sturrock and Tilson. :'(

...or maybe the management team have already made their minds up about the likes of Cowan and Bennett and (a) they are simply making up the numbers pending alternative signings or (b) they are nailed on to sign but were played in less familiar positions last night so their talents didn't alert other clubs why we remain unwilling or unable to sign them up (but nevertheless got important 'game time' in ahead of the weekend) ?

...or maybe the management team have already made their minds up about the likes of Cowan and Bennett and (a) they are simply making up the numbers pending alternative signings or (b) they are nailed on to sign but were played in less familiar positions last night so their talents didn't alert other clubs why we remain unwilling or unable to sign them up (but nevertheless got important 'game time' in ahead of the weekend) ?

Bennett IS a Left back so that doesn't make sense :winking:

But the stand out player for us again was Ryan Auger. What an outstanding , asssured , clever player he is. He plays with confidence + composure of a player with 200 games under his belt + i would feel totally comfortable if he plays in the 1st team right now. His distribution is quality + he actually pings the ball on the ground , no hoofs. His running off the ball is excellent. This kid is certainly 1 to watch , i just hope we dont waste his talents kicking his heels in the reserves.

Don't worry, I'm sure we'll soon knock that out of him if he stays around the first team squad

Enjoyed the match last night , it was a very entertaining evening + well worth the tenner admission.

But some of the decisions by our management team was ridiculous. We had 2 of our trialists who must wonder why they wasted their time coming to the club. Firstly Don Cowan , a lightening fast striker. We desperately need a striker. What did Brown do? Played him wide midfield. He spent half the match tracking back the superb talent in Jordan Spence and we barely saw Cowan in forward positions. For what its worth Cowan battled really well but understandably became frustrated + took a few knocks during his many tackles he was making. What we dont need is yet another right midfielder, what we do need is a striker to join the lethargic + sluggish Eastwood + Corr ( which brings me to why the hell did Corr play 89 minutes when he was blatantly feeling his hamstrings after 40 mins?? .. if he is out injured for saturday i'll be spitting feathers that Corr was forced to carry on last night)
Which brings me to Bennet. In our squad we have Prosser,Straker,Barker, and recently signed Coker+White. I would say we have more left backs than Ron Martin has unpaid bills (well maybe not) So why the hell did we play Bennett at left back for 90 minutes. If he is on trial as a centre back why not play him there? We learnt nothing about those 2 trialists what a total waste of time.The positions we glaringly lack is down the spine of the team... Brown,Penney+Coughlin must have 2000 league games under their belt between them but it makes you wonder what planet they are on !!!!!!!!

i thought the strong tacking Clifford is worth another look ( he'll get plenty of red cards unless he learns not to lunge) + Thompson was very quick in thought at the back. Jack Payne showed some nice touches + great skills but not sure how he would fit into our team. Pinnock is rusty but looks a great prospect. Bentley made a few errors which he got away with but made up for it with some spectacular saves.

I can't actually believe this rant.

Aside from you possibly being Ryan Auger's dad, he will be promising for the future but in no way shone more than Jack Payne. He was everywhere and looks a touch of class. Given the high standard of the opposition, he will start to shine at our level this year.

And why rant over the management. I have been so pleasantly surprised by the football, hardly any long ball, fit, and all looking happy. What a change !!

These games are all about triallists and would you consider Prosser/ Straker/ Barker as first choice left backs ?

Straker looked very good in front of Coker and Bennett can double up as a left back or centre half and looks physically good especially for this division.

And a sluggish Eastwood ! I think not. I've heard how much work he's put in during the summer and I'm convinced that this could be the season we see the Freddy of old. It certainly looks like he's enjoying his football under a manager who believes in him, and credit to Freddy for the work he's put in through the Summer.

I really don't understand how slating management is relevant during the pre season friendly matches. The management know who they want to see and where they want to see them play.

Why not wait until the season starts before ranting !

Or better still admit and accept that just perhaps a professional football manager with a proven track record (cough!) knows slightly more about putting together a team of new players than you and I. Or perhaps, if you feel you DO know better than PB then submit your CV to the club chairman in readiness for when the club need a new manager ;)

Or better still admit and accept that just perhaps a professional football manager with a proven track record (cough!) knows slightly more about putting together a team of new players than you and I. Or perhaps, if you feel you DO know better than PB then submit your CV to the club chairman in readiness for when the club need a new manager ;)

Managers knowing more about football than fans, don't make me laugh, fans know everything

It case it doesn't come across that way, I'm being sarcastic :winking:

Make sure you get 6 months folding up front though,it's best that way.

Back