• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Think this game will be more of an indicator about our season ahead. Plymouth & Hartlepool won't be challenging for promotion but I expect Northampton to be up there.

Agree that this is going to be our sternest test in the league so far this year. We have no worries at home, and I dont massively rate York even though we lost away there. Problem is until we win away from home everyone is going to be making a massive deal out of it.
I worry for Plymouth, think they are in for another long hard season, dont get me wrong Fleetwood are my favourites for promotion, but even so Plymouth were really poor so a friend tells me.

Cobblers,will you be going along to any Coventry matches?

Im not one of those that is against going. The way I see it if they get a big team in the cup or something like that then I will probably pop along. I have no massive want to attend any of there league games as we have played alot of them fairly recently. But if Cov were to bag a premiership team in there, id take advantage of plenty of choice of seats short distance drive from home. Win Win for me. Still id rather not have the option and Coventry be back to playing in Coventry! Im growing weary of hearing all the arguments!

That's it !! I'm making a complaint to the SZone hierachy. First the messageboard is full of positive comments and optimism and now a sensible debate about our next fixture. Whatever next ??

That's it !! I'm making a complaint to the SZone hierachy. First the messageboard is full of positive comments and optimism and now a sensible debate about our next fixture. Whatever next ??

Yes. What is the world coming to. Add my name to the letter please.

Hash tag: Theendisnigh

Joking aside, that's a nice write up, Cobblers. I reckon we'll have a good few there on Saturday (it's been a long time since we won two on the bounce at the start of a season). It should be a great atmosphere and a cracking game.

Its a relief to have sensible football conversation! Our forum drives me crazy, quite a few people are getting on Aidy Boothroyds back, some saying they dont think he will last this season. HE SAVED US FROM RELEGATION AND GOT US TO THE PLAYOFF FINAL. What more do people want?

I've always thought of him as a decent manager at that level. You could do a lot worse.

There was no need to mention the redevelopment of your ground, with a hotel and office space, though, mate. That was below the belt !! lol

Im not one of those that is against going. The way I see it if they get a big team in the cup or something like that then I will probably pop along. I have no massive want to attend any of there league games as we have played alot of them fairly recently. But if Cov were to bag a premiership team in there, id take advantage of plenty of choice of seats short distance drive from home. Win Win for me. Still id rather not have the option and Coventry be back to playing in Coventry! Im growing weary of hearing all the arguments!

Make a note in your diary Sunday September the 8th Colchester are playing Coventry :thumbsup: (Stands by for abuse ha ha)

Ha nothing against Colchester, how did you find Aidy when he was in charge of you guys? To be fair i guess similarities could be drawn with Aidy and Phil Brown. Both took a championship club into the premierleague. Both got relegated (Hull were going down regardless). Both took over big struggling clubs in Preston and Coventry. Both now rebuilding at lower level. Only difference is Aidy dosnt hit the tanning booth as much :winking:

No tanning booth, mate. That's provided by the gorgeous sunshine as you walk along our lovely pier

No tanning booth, mate. That's provided by the gorgeous sunshine as you walk along our lovely pier

If I can achieve half the tan on saturday that will be ideal. I think its fair to say Northamptonshire falls abit short when it comes to water/piers/beaches.

Ha nothing against Colchester, how did you find Aidy when he was in charge of you guys? To be fair i guess similarities could be drawn with Aidy and Phil Brown. Both took a championship club into the premierleague. Both got relegated (Hull were going down regardless). Both took over big struggling clubs in Preston and Coventry. Both now rebuilding at lower level. Only difference is Aidy dosnt hit the tanning booth as much :winking:
Aidy was ok as a manager but his style of route one play was quickly sussed out by the teams in our league and then he had no plan B. He was being paid a lot of money by Robbie Cowling and must have cost a small fortune with the add ons he had. For example he never moved to Essex but was given a car and driver to use so when he travelled down from his midlands home he never had to drive he just sat in the back and did his work!

If we are talking about Northampton's chances for promotion this year then I would have to question the decision to allow Coventry to play at the Sixfields ground. You can see the effect that extra wear on a pitch had at Huddersfield for example and a poor or wet autumn, winter and/or spring could be a factor - particularly if winning regularly at home is required.

Even if the manager has a penchant for the more direct style, a goodish pitch can help.

As for the game on Saturday on the billiard surface that is Roots Hall, I am more worried about that lump of a defender Langmead.

Aidy was ok as a manager but his style of route one play was quickly sussed out by the teams in our league and then he had no plan B. He was being paid a lot of money by Robbie Cowling and must have cost a small fortune with the add ons he had. For example he never moved to Essex but was given a car and driver to use so when he travelled down from his midlands home he never had to drive he just sat in the back and did his work!

Sounds fairly similar. He certainly does favour a long ball style of football and he isnt sorry about that. To be fair it saved us from going into non league and helped us get to a play off final. I think this year he has realised that we have to mix it up a bit. Hence the players with more technical ability and smaller height. Interested to see how it all comes together.

Back